Puppy help please

thebignoid

Hello all I just recently joined this forum and am in need of some advice. I have two puppies. They are a little over 4 months old now. Pit and Border Collie mix. They've had some training from myself. Basic commands like sit, stay, lay down, and even shake. They are fairly smart puppies for the most part but here is my dilema.

They have both been trained to go to the bathroom outside now. I got them both when they were about 6 weeks old. I live in Michigan and it was still cold so I hesitated to take them outside to potty because they were young and it was quite cold. So I did the one thing I now realize I shouldn't have...I bought the dreaded puppy pads. I used those for a bit then got them to start going outside finally. They will now even go to the door when they need to go outside. But I can take them outside 3 times in half an hour and they will poop and pee all three times. But when I bring them back in not even 5 minutes later they are either pooping and or peeing on my floor.

Its been like this for about a month now. I've tried everything I can from taking them outside when ever they eat and or drink to taking them outside when I see them start to sniff around. I have cleaned my floors with a cleaner that has active enzimes in it. That will stop them from going in the same spot but they just choose a different spot and go there.

Does anyone have and suggestions or advice to help me to get them to stop going in the house?

Saluki-Sue

Buy a crate for each puppy and give them down time during the day in their crates. They will rest, learn to hold themselves and get empty when you take them out. If their eating, drinking and playing together all day long, their going to have to go potty every 30 mins no matter what.

Danikus

Good Boy!
Please, tell me, at what age can I begin to train my Doberman's puppy?
My puppy has 3 months old now.
Thank you.

Hello all I just recently joined this forum and am in need of some advice. I have two puppies. They are a little over 4 months old now. Pit and Border Collie mix. They've had some training from myself. Basic commands like sit, stay, lay down, and even shake. They are fairly smart puppies for the most part but here is my dilema.

They have both been trained to go to the bathroom outside now. I got them both when they were about 6 weeks old. I live in Michigan and it was still cold so I hesitated to take them outside to potty because they were young and it was quite cold. So I did the one thing I now realize I shouldn't have...I bought the dreaded puppy pads. I used those for a bit then got them to start going outside finally. They will now even go to the door when they need to go outside. But I can take them outside 3 times in half an hour and they will poop and pee all three times. But when I bring them back in not even 5 minutes later they are either pooping and or peeing on my floor.

Its been like this for about a month now. I've tried everything I can from taking them outside when ever they eat and or drink to taking them outside when I see them start to sniff around. I have cleaned my floors with a cleaner that has active enzimes in it. That will stop them from going in the same spot but they just choose a different spot and go there.

Does anyone have and suggestions or advice to help me to get them to stop going in the house?
Hi! I am in Michigan, too. At least our winter is over so you won't have to worry about the cold any more for your puppies.

It will take time and patience to create the repetition for them to understand that you want him to go in a certain place (and NOT inside since they used those pee pads - outside!). My maltese puppy peed allover my house for 7 years and I hated finding the pee spots, getting on my hands and knees, and scrubbing the floor! I also hated paying the full deposit to pay for the 5 apartments that my dog ruined the carpet in. That sucked. The good news is - there is a solution! There are two parts to the solution:

(1) Get a crate. The crate is like a bedroom and safe place for them to stay when you are not home to monitor their activity. You can have them together or in their separate crates. They will like the safe home as long as it is safe and not used for punishment. It should only be slightly larger than them. Even with a crate, they still need to be taken out frequently. They won't want to pee in their "bedroom/crate" but will do it if they cannot hold their pee and has a real accident.

(2) Get The Housebreaker. The Housebreaker is a safe and effective device that the dog wears when you are home. It is placed in a diaper (females) or belly band (males) and will alert you immediately as soon as the pup tries to have an accident. You can take him to the correct place to pee (outside - get rid of those pads forever). The Housebreaker makes housebreaking a puppy much faster than typical methods and helps prevent the messes in your home.

You can learn more about crate training at http://www.TheHousebreaker.com/Resources and more about The Housebreaker at http://www.TheHousebreaker.com

Let me know if I can be of any more help.
Take Care and good luck!
xoxo

Members online