Cost of veterinary care too high?

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
What's your opinion on the cost of veterinary care? I definitely feel it's gone up, but I also think it depends where you live too.

When I was in NM it was much more affordable. Out here in VA it's nearly 4 times as much to do anything outside of basic shots and shots are about twice as much as what I paid in NM. Out here a lot of vets will charge you anywhere from $50-100 just to WALK in the door. When you add all the costs for whatever you have done you end up going home with a bill that's large enough to knock your.eyes out of your sockets.

Just curious your thoughts on vet care prices and how it differs where you live?

And here's an article that is circling facebook about vet prices
http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/20120215/OPINION01/202150394/Cost-veterinary-care-out-control?odyssey=nav%7Chead

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Our vet is pretty cheap. Last month Kiba was in for a check up and rabies and it was under $40 (we live in Maine).

But you can also look at different areas and see what cost of living is compared to vet prices. You're going to pay more in Washington, D.C. then up in the sticks of Maine.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
What I find hard to stomach is the office fees. It shouldn't be $30-$40 to walk in the door - especially when all that pays for is the use of a scale (which I operate and read off the weight) and maybe a temperature reading.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
What I find hard to stomach is the office fees. It shouldn't be $30-$40 to walk in the door - especially when all that pays for is the use of a scale (which I operate and read off the weight) and maybe a temperature reading.
:yikes: $30-40!?!?! In Chicago it's $50-75, depending on where you go. I'd kill for it to be $30-40, lol. The only place that's $40 is... wah wah... Banfield. LOL

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Our vet charges $40 for an office visit, which is really reasonable for a holistic vet.

I'm kind of torn on how I feel about the expenses of vet care. I can understand why the prices are high. Vet school is expensive and similar in length to med school. Vets are supposed to be able to handle every situation- surgeries, illnesses, dental work, etc.

On the other hand, a vet only sees your dog for a few minutes during a "typical" office visit. The costs can really add up when they're tacked onto that initial visit fee.

Cardi4851

Where I have lived for the past few years it has seemed pretty reasonable. Where I go almost never charges their "office visit fee" unless you are coming in for vaccines or other routine things. I am however, comparing the fees here to California and Bend, OR, so I'm not sure it means much (and my boyfriends family who is from this area thinks we are insane on how much we spend). Also, avian vet care is ridiculously expensive compared to standard dog stuff. I think a lot has to do with the improvement of care and the technology available now.

Picklepaige

One of the vets here doesn't charge an office fee. He charges about $5 for most vaccines, and sometimes he doesn't feel like heading up to the register, so he'll do it at no charge, lol.

But, he's about a 20 minute drive away, and the vet we use is a 2 minute drive away, so we don't go to him. The vet we do use is pretty cheap too, but keep in mind, we live in Mississippi.

AliciaD

On second thought...
Our vet charges 40 for the yearly exam, weighing, look over, check the eyes, the heart and lungs, the ears, etc. And most shots are like... $15?

I'm glad I live in NH, where it's on the cheaper side. I can't imagine what vet care costs in other places!

I don't take my dogs to the vet constantly, so I honestly don't know. I only take them for things I can't do myself, like rabies shots. And until recently we got an employee discount because my shop was owned by the same people who owned the vet clinic next door, so... I'm no help. But yes, everything in the world is too dang high!

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Well, all I can say is that the E-vet we took Tango to was $90 to walk in the door (at nearly midnight) and the entire visit plus three meds to take home, an E-collar, and an antibiotic shot at the vet was less then $300. I will be more than happy to use them again if I have to.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I honestly dont know how much my vet charges for things... I pay at cost since I've been with her for 15+ years (well, obviously it was in my parents name before)

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Well, all I can say is that the E-vet we took Tango to was $90 to walk in the door (at nearly midnight) and the entire visit plus three meds to take home, an E-collar, and an antibiotic shot at the vet was less then $300. I will be more than happy to use them again if I have to.
I'm jealous. I paid a $162 emergency fee to walk into the emergency vet to euthanize Rascal :yikes: I was sure they'd give me a discount or something on it since I literally walked in and just said he needs to be euthanized. When it was all done I paid like $210

I love our vet, and it's extremely affordable. I called to make an appointment for heartworm treatment for my foster. I had heard the ranges people pay for immiticide treatment and was bracing myself for the cost. It was only $400. For x-rays, the treatment itself, two over nights, a years supply of preventative, 60 doxy, and rimadyl. We have a good relationship so when things are awry, like I suspect a UTI, I can bring in the sample and pay no office fee. I believe the office fee is only $29.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Yeah it was the one "nice" thing about the night. I have these huge figures of over $1000 in my head so being able to pay with our debit card was a relief.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
. We have a good relationship so when things are awry, like I suspect a UTI, I can bring in the sample and pay no office fee. I believe the office fee is only $29.
Oh yah, that too. I LOVE that I can call my vet saying I need this medication, and my vet will sign off on it so I can go get it without any fee.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I've noticed that around here it is pretty freaking pricey. The only reason I can afford to give vet care to my animals is because I get 50% off. A client had his three little tiny dogs in for grooms/vaccine updates/fecals/the works. He walked out paying over $500 for everything.

I think it is around $300 for a medium size dog spay. Exam fee is roughly $50, I think. Rabies is $35 for a three year - not sure how much a combo vacc is. My guess is around $20-$30. When Pheobe needed a UA and antibiotics, I think the total fee was almost $200.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I pay $80-100 to walk through the door. Then there is still an exam fee, plus anything they may do.. which is why I don't do yearly visits.

I found that though I tried 4 or more vets, most barely touched the dogs, pushed that vaccs were needed and it was a $150-200 visit where they actually didn't really do anything with my dogs.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Wow! I don't think I'd own so many dogs if vet prices were that high. LOL
At my vet you just pay the exam fee.. Rabies cost me $15 for 3-years. Spays are around $120 without any bloodwork done, neuters are a little cheaper. Tsuki's was around $200 due to her size and condition.

Members online

No members online now.