How do you qualify homes for your puppies?

R

RedyreRottweilers

Ok, all you breeders out there, let's discuss how you qualify and select homes for your puppies.

Do you use a questionnaire?

Do you keep a waiting list?

If you have a breed with special considerations, such as a working or high energy herding breed, how do you make sure the homes you select are prepared for such a dog?

Does what has happened to the previous dogs of prospective buyers enter into your decision making process?

Do you or have you sold dogs to persons who are not of legal age?

Why or why not?

R

RedyreRottweilers

Here is my response to the questions.

:D

Ok, all you breeders out there, let's discuss how you qualify and select homes for your puppies.

Yes I do.

http://redyrerottweilers.bravehost.com/pupquiz.html

Not at this time

If you have a breed with special considerations, such as a working or high energy herding breed, how do you make sure the homes you select are prepared for such a dog?

I ask lots of questions, and I want to see training experience. If there is no training experience, I want to see a person who has made plans, and sought out training opportunities in their area. Good fencing is also a plus, altho I have placed puppies with persons who have no fencing, but experience with having large dogs without fencing.

Does what has happened to the previous dogs of prospective buyers enter into your decision making process?

Most definitely. I want to know what has happened to the previous dogs a person has owned. I would be reluctant to place a puppy with persons who have lost dogs to HBC, dogs which have escaped and been lost, or persons who have given up a dog(s) unless for very good reasons.

No.

Why or why not?

I have not been approached by a junior to purchase a dog. With a breed like a Rottweiler, if I WERE to place a dog with a person under legal age, it would have to be with excellent parental support, and the parent would have to have good experience with the breed. Larger working type dogs need a strong confident and in general experienced person, IMO, to help them become good adult dogs. Some juniors may be qualified to do this, but I would look even harder at them than I do adults when considering homes for puppies.

bubbatd

I didn't have too many litters and always had a waiting list . As I didn't advertise , all were known by me or someone who refered them to me . And yes , I did ask a lot of questions .

J's crew

Why or why not?
I'm not a breeder but when I place rescued dogs I do have a questionnaire. I pretty much want to know everything from soup to nuts about their history with dogs, vet references, why they want a Rottie (most rescues are Rotties or Bully type breeds).

The kind of family or individual is very much determined by the dog and the new owners lifestyle. I want a dog to go to their forever home and will not place a dog that has the slightest chance of being returned for a know issue, or a wrong fit.

I learn everyday so what has happened in the past definetly predicts my future placements. And no, I do not adopt out to underage people. Maybe to their parents but they would have to meet very specific qualifications so I would know that if the underage person has a backup for any issue or training advice needed if I am not available. The underage person would have to show that they are capable of owning such a breed and would require even more extensive research into their character, home life, plans for the future, etc.

OT, I run into this every once in awhile, how much personal info do breeders collect? My contract requires alot if info such as DOB, SSN, and DL's #. Almost all are very willing to give the info as there is no hidden agenda. Do you find this necessary, and has anyone ever failed to give info. If so, where they turned down as a perspective owner?

R

RedyreRottweilers

I do ask for that sort of person info, and would be reluctant to place with anyone unwilling to provide it.

I ask for this information not to invade anyone's privacy, but to hopefully be able to track them down should they drop out of sight with one of my dogs.

Great input, J's Crew, thanks.

:)

Juicy

Hmm would you ever consider giving a dog to someone that has given away dogs, but the were decisions made by the person's parents at the time, but they no longer live with the parents and would commit to never give away a dog again.

With hbc also, what if the person has taken lots of preventatives so it'll never happen again? In my case I was irresponsible and USE to walk my dogs offleash. Now no matter how well a dog's recall is, I won't ever do it again.

I would like to consider maybe getting a bull terrier from a breeder if I can't find a young bull terrier to adopt in the future. But not sure if I'll be qualified to get one from a breeder.

Thanks for posting this, its good to know what some breeders look for in new buyers. I know we always talk about looking for a good breeder, but never what a breeder looks for in an owner and this is good to know.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I am just starting out so I dont have all the wrinkles ironed out yets but so far:

Do you use a questionnaire? Yes. I have one made up. (Thanks Red) :)

Do you keep a waiting list? So far I have a couple people on the list for a Jazz puppy.

If you have a breed with special considerations, such as a working or high energy herding breed, how do you make sure the homes you select are prepared for such a dog? Right now I am breeding for the conformation ring. With the temperment to do agility or other sports.

Does what has happened to the previous dogs of prospective buyers enter into your decision making process? Yes. Each case is different and would be looked at seperately. If they gave a dog away, expessially for reasons that show lack of understanding then no puppy. As for HBC it would depend on why it happened, same as got loose and ran away.

Do you or have you sold dogs to persons who are not of legal age? It would really depend on the situation. If a Jr wanted a dog, then BOTH the parents and the Jr would have to qualify. I would want to know that if said Jr went off to collage then the parents would keep the dog as a member of thier family. Each case is different

None of my breeders ever asked for information like SS#, DL#, etc.

I would probably not be willing to give it up either... because I dont think you can ever know enough about a breeder to ensure that they wont lose the paper with the information, dispose of it in an incorrect manner, have it stolen,etc... and that information in the wrong hands can be detrimental to your life.

J's crew

None of my breeders ever asked for information like SS#, DL#, etc.

I would probably not be willing to give it up either... because I dont think you can ever know enough about a breeder to ensure that they wont lose the paper with the information, dispose of it in an incorrect manner, have it stolen,etc... and that information in the wrong hands can be detrimental to your life.

I would never be comfortable enough with buying from a breeder that I don't plan on having a (dog) life long relationship with.

For me this info, like Red said ensures you have as much necessary info to track someone down if needed.

Think about how many applications you fill out that include that info. Info that is faxed around, looked at by a ton of car salesmen, credit departments, etc. It may make some uncomfortable but no more so than any application that requires the same info.

I would never be comfortable enough with buying from a breeder that I don't plan on having a (dog) life long relationship with.

For me this info, like Red said ensures you have as much necessary info to track someone down if needed.

Think about how many applications you fill out that include that info. Info that is faxed around, looked at by a ton of car salesmen, credit departments, etc. It may make some uncomfortable but no more so than any application that requires the same info.
Well I am very careful about what applications I write this information on.

Many times I will leave it off of documents that request it... you would be surprised how many times people ask for it and dont actually need it.

I guess its a personal preference on both peoples part... thats why not every person is right for every breeder and vice-versa.... both my current poodles breeders can contact me via email and I can contact them... they have my address and phone numbers, vets/groomers #'s.. if that was not enough for them I wouldnt have gotten a dog from them... I like both ladies but I had no intentions of marrying them.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
No questionnaire but I do ask nearly the same questions of everyone. I dont' like a form letter approach...I prefer to speak with each person individually.

Not when I don't have a litter planned. I keep an interest list when I do.

I ask questions and chat with the folks and listen to what they say and what they don't say.

Sometimes.

I have sold to Jrs but deal with their parents.

corgi_love

I'd never give a breeder my SSN. My mother got her identity stolen so I am super careful who I give that to and why. TBH I think that's rather inappropriate to ask for o__O;

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I can do what we had to go through with our first papillon.

Form?

No, but we had to come to the breeder's house to have a conversation. She wanted to meet the entire family. She asked us questions about our dogs and why we wanted the breed. What we knew about them. She also showed us all her dogs and pedigrees. She really wanted to see how Josie behaved around the dogs. (She did fine and got some lessons in handling tiny dogs. (Jo was 6 at the time and most toy breeders will not place toys with smaller children)

Honestly I like that approach best. You get a better personal feel for each other and its not so cut and dried as far as a specific format.

She does not keep a formal waiting list but instead keeps tabs of people interested in pups. In this breed you can have a litter and have no pups for sale quite often so a formal list isn't really needed.

We've had a good relationship with them for over four years and I know none of us have given SSNs. I'd find that more than a bit odd.

J's crew

Hmmm, I've heard of it quite often. Even the local HS requests them for criminal background checks.

I guess the way I look at it and a few breeders or rescues look at is this. It IS an application. What you get when you adopt a dog is a living, breathing creature. I have to give one to buy a car so why not a dog? :)

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
Because I won't ask for it? LOL...
someone else's app isn't important as far as placement of my dogs or pups...so I don't need it..or want it. Nor, would I give it...nor have I ever had to do so to purchase any dog.

I dont see how a SSN is of any importance to a breeder.

A car dealership wants it if you are taking out a loan on the car... they want to check your records, make sure you arent going to default... I get it.

But last time I saw my credit report, I did not see anything on it about my ability to care for a dog.

I understand when a breeder wants to call your vet, or your groomer, or maybe even your neighbor but I dont see how they feel my SSN is any of their business.

Members online

No members online now.