No Kill Solutions

No kill isnt better.

The sad fact of it is you are always going to have sick, and aggressive animals who the best thing to do is euthanize them.

Our local no kill shetler is NO kill period. 1/2 their dogs are aggressive or have gotten that way due to the extended amount of time the animal has spent in a cage. I talked to someone at an adoption event for our kill shelter a couple weeks ago. She said they had went to the local no kill shelter and there were so many dogs that were labeled aggressive that they turned around and walked out..

Locking an animal up to live it's life in a cage isnt humane either. There are some dogs at our no kill shelter who have been there for years (Heard a story of a dog getting adopted after 7 years), and some I was told at the volunteer orientation "will live their lives out" there.. IMO, the dog should have been euthanized long before that. Sure it is a nice idea but if you lock a dog in a cage for 7 years the dog is going to go nuts.

That's one thing that makes our kill shelter (although we do need to get our #s way down, kind of funny the no kill shelter doesnt pull any animals from our facility)better, I walk in there and the dogs/cats are for the most part well behaved. They arent bouncing off of walls or running in circles like they do at the no kill shelter...

Ideally, most shelters would be LOW kill. IMO, no kill & kill are the 2 extremes, there has to be something in the middle. I stopped volunteering at the no kill shelter because there wernt any dogs I could actually take out, they were all aggressive or crazy (running circles in their cages, jumping off walls).

There is no such thing as a no kill shelter. If they get full and cant adopt any animals out because they are aggressive/crazy then they do no good.

Maybe I missed it, but I can't find anything about how they plan to accomplish this goal. I don't understand how they can do it. I work at a no-kill (or low-kill if you prefer) shelter. We pull our animals from Animal Control, about 1200 a year. We spay and neuter everything. AC kills about 4000 a year. There is no way we could handle the difference, not while providing our animals with the care they deserve. In my community at least, as things stand now, there is no way we could go to entirely no-kill. I live in a rural area, where it is considered acceptable to let your dog run loose, or keep it chained. It's a fight to get people to vaccinate their animals for rabies, much less spay and neuter.

Members online

No members online now.