It amazes me...

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
How fairly educated people can be clueless about dogs. There is a lady I know, she is smart no doubt about it. She was eating chicken wings today and talking about how her dog loves to eat them and that she read that they're okay. I couldn't help myself, I told her they're fine as long as they're RAW, but cooked bones are NOT okay and can cause serious damage.

She threw the bones in the garbage thank goodness, but that's something I always assumed was common knowledge. Guess not.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
You're telling me! I have a regular customer at work that knows just about everything about linguistics and is in grad school. He just got a puppy and is CLUELESS as to what to do with the dog when it's home alone *head desk* He's never even HEARD of crate training...

JacksonsMom

Nope, people are clueless.

My stepdad is one of those super smart people lacking in the common sense department. We went out to dinner and he told me to get a box so we could package up the rib bones and bring them home for Jackson.... I told him he cannot eat COOKED bones (and have told him this before, he just forgot AGAIN) and he just can't wrap his mind around it. He thinks dogs are meant to eat bones... and I tell him, they ARE, just not cooked! lol. Grrrr.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
I've met quite a few people who give cooked bones, but shudder when I say I feed mine raw bones! There's no knowledge requirement for getting a dog (or having kids, for that matter)!

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Well, to be fair everybody is clueless at some point. When we got Sally (she was not exactly a planned dog) I had to google to teach the dog how to sit. I still thought that the way you train a dog not to pee in the house was to rub their nose in it, I thought that positive training was for hippies and that there was no reason to feed a dog anything better than Purina One unless the dog has a health problem.

Besides, I worked for 10 years with horses in a job where I regularly encountered the public. You want to talk about an animal most people are clueless about...lol.......I was taking some people out on a ride once and one of the horses snorted, and the girl riding him started freaking out, yelling, "OMG, why is he GROWLING?!?!?"

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I don't have a dog anymore, but I called my mom tonight because we just started our cat on raw. I wanted to tell her and share my excitement at how much money we are going to end up saving now.

She told me "raw?... that should really be cooked you know, don't you think?"
I tried to explain to her and she just said "oookay then".

Luckily, my holistic living sister is switching her cats and eventual dog to raw as well. She's just waiting until they can find non-processed meat because she simply doesn't like it. They're starting a small farm so I am excited about helping her out with it.
At least some people are more than willing to learn!

Sweet72947

Squishy face
We went out to dinner and he told me to get a box so we could package up the rib bones and bring them home for Jackson....
When we had Coco, our Chessie, years ago, my dad used to bring home cooked rib bones for him all the time. Coco never had a problem with them until one day he got a piece of bone stuck in his teeth. My dad must've struggled for at least two hours with a little piece of wire to get that bone out of Coco's teeth. We never fed cooked bones again! I mean, my parents knew not to feed cooked chicken bones, but they never realized the danger in cooked rib bones until that happened.

MH<3dogs

Besides, I worked for 10 years with horses in a job where I regularly encountered the public. You want to talk about an animal most people are clueless about...lol.......I was taking some people out on a ride once and one of the horses snorted, and the girl riding him started freaking out, yelling, "OMG, why is he GROWLING?!?!?"
Trail riding stable? :D
Let's see I've gotten... "Are they born with their shoes on?" "Is that horse wearing contacts?" "Do horses pee?" "Is he a Klondike horse?" "Is he a Shetland?" (referring to a Belgian)

I especially love the ones that say they know horses or have horses. "So you have horses?" "Yep!" "Really what kind?" "Stallions and mares." :rolleyes:

Sorry off topic but its funny.

Members online

No members online now.