many have probably seen this but...

Y

yuckaduck

Pit bulls were breed for fighting that was the whole point to the breed, hence PIT bulls. They use to fight in a pit. I believe all dog fighting should be banned period. Not the dogs the actually act of fighting dogs. However I must admit I would never ever allow a pit bull or anything with the look of a pit bull near my kids. I have no trust in the breed but I also have no trust in the Saint Bernard breed because in Canada they are having big problems with them snapping. They blame it on the brain growing to big for the skull. Anyway I do believe pit bull should be fenced in and owners should maintain control at all times. I don't not believe in the one free bite rule, one bite is all it takes and it allows owners to be irresponsible. I do believe pit bulls should be muzzled in public, too many times they escape from their owner and maul another dog, which is what they are bred to do, or attack a person. I would trust a lab anyday over a pit. But I do not agree with the ban because there are responsible owners who are being punished. They should not suffer due to the irresponsible owners.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Why not have every breed muzzled in public then? Statistically a Lab and Cocker spaniel, as it said in the video, are way more dangerous.

That's not fair that because the media decides to literally butcher a breed that they have to wear a muzzle.

S

stirder

actually pit bulls were never bred to be aggressive towards humans, ever. and I disagree with you yuckaduck, I think ALL dogs should be fenced in and controlled at ALL times no matter what the breed. and I think there should be regulations, a test everyone has to take before being allowed to have a dog. if your scores says you are not allowed to have the most high drive, dominant, aggressive, dangerous hard headed breeds then you cannot even get a chihuahua. should have to qualify to have the most dangerous before you can have the least dangerous. be able to take the test as often as the drivers license test so if you fail you can go learn more. test should also be worded differently for every person.
untill we can trust the feds enough to allow such regulations, no dog should be banned and no dog should be required to wear anything other than a leash. if a dog bites someone, they lose the dog, get a huge fine (not a set fine, but say 10% of their annual income) and a month in prison, or atleast house arrest with the little anklet on. and after that if they are ever found in ownership of a dog, or in physical control of a dog, or a friend or family member brings a dog to visit them they get a new fine of: home owner loses their house. non home owner loses 50% of annual income for that year in a fine.
sure, maybe the fines and punishments are too high, feel free to lower them but they should be high enough that people would fear them, and that people wouldnt just think "oh a $100 fine and I lose my dog? no biggy I'll pay the fine and buy a new dog cause I make more than $100 every time the dog fights." and it should apply to EVERYONE and EVERY BREED. heck, throw cats in there. cat bites or scratches someone other than a break in, fire rescue, or vet visit you get the same punishment.

S

stirder

and I have met far more pit bulls and their relative bully breeds that I would much sooner trust with my children and family (under supervision, no dog should ever be around children or strandgers without supervision) than I have met labs, cockers, saints, newfies etc etc etc.

Y

yuckaduck

Each to their own but I will never allow any pit bull near my kids, it just is not worth the chance to me. Any video can say anything to it is whether you choose to believe it or not. Labs are very people driven and I am sorry but I do not believe that they bite more than a pit bull. But if you want to save a breed you need to use words like that to do it. I don't think they should be banned but there should be some pretty serious regulations to go with the breed. You are right though all dogs should be leashed and controlled. I don't let Yuck near anyone. Who knows what he will do if provoked.

S

stirder

exactly. the reason labs and cockers, poodles and chihuahuas are higher on the list of dog bites is because fewer owners socialize, train, control and confine those breeds.

Melissa_W

Wow, that's a really great video. It made me cry, but it made me want to learn more about pit bulls. I don't really know much about them. I copied down the links at the end of the video. I would love to rescue one of those poor pups. :( I think it's sad that they've gotten such a bad reputation.

Last edited:
S

stirder

there are a few members here who have pits melissa, I bet they could tell you a lot of links and info about them.

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
Sigh, here we go again. I'm so incredibly sick of ignorant people who believe pitbulls to be some kind of exceptionally dangerous dog who particulairly like to attack children. Pitbulls are one of the friendliest, most loving dog breeds and I would sooner trust my child with a pitbull than nearly any other breeds. Some people are so easily influenced by the media that it's ridiculous. Ten years back it was dobes and shepherds, now the poor old pittie is copping it (as if that breed needs MORE problems to deal with!)

Y

yuckaduck

3 year old attacked in own home by pet pit bull. [Toronto]
5year old bite by pet pit bull [Toronto]
2 pit bulls maul a toy poodle and kill it [Toronto]
2 pit bulls attack toddler, badly disfigured [Ottawa Area]

These are recent attacks that are only off the top of my head. So either the pit bulls in this area have serious breeding problems or are not raised properly. Or there is something to the reputation. Personally I think any dog is capable of biting or attacking but you seem to hear so much about the pitties. As a result I would never ever have a pit bull or any bully breed near my kids. I am not condeming the breed but I do think owners should be held responsible for their dogs and if something horrible like this happens not only should the dog be destroyed but the owner should be charged as well. If pwners could just be responsible. This is why the Ontario government is trying to ban pit bulls in Ontario and those already existing will be forced to wear a muzzle when outside of their house even in a fenced in yard.

mrose_s

BusterLove
Im sorry yuckaduck I dont agree with your statments about pits being muzzled in public. We have a mastiff, boxer, American bulldog X (we think) and she is just the sweetest thing. I have grown up with dogs all my life and believe they can serve as GREAT protection for your kids. I cant see a dog attacking a child without a trigger, it isnt that I wouldnt leave my kids alone with my dog for the fear of the kids being attacked, but that I wouldnt leave my dog alone with kids for fear of it being taunted.

mrose_s

BusterLove
and eventhough I dont much like "bully" breeds. (their look not their stertotype) the more I research them the more I am falling for pits.

mrose_s

BusterLove
yuckaduck said:
3 year old attacked in own home by pet pit bull. [Toronto]
5year old bite by pet pit bull [Toronto]
2 pit bulls maul a toy poodle and kill it [Toronto]
2 pit bulls attack toddler, badly disfigured [Ottawa Area]
ok, i saw that and I researched it. I decided to use labs as this thread is now about breed discrimination, and I found this site.
http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/pet/88815821.html
on it is a list of links to lab attacks.

Members online

No members online now.