Adequan?

I posted this on Facebook too, but I figured it can't hurt to ask again...

Has anyone had any experience using Adequan? Or, for those of you in the veterinary field, any professional opinion on it?

It was recommended by my veterinarian for my aging cat that's showing some arthritis symptoms. I'm willing to try most anything, but I would definitely appreciate some opinions!

I know that it's marketed for canine and equine, and this would be an off-label use, so any experience using it in dogs or horses would be great too!

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
We used it with Jack for a while but didn't think it made that huge of a difference (he has elbow dysplasia). However, I've found that joint meds and supplements have very different effectiveness with different individuals.

If it were my kitty I'd go for it.

doggiecat

I've never used Adequan for management for feline arthritis but physiologically it makes perfect sense. Adequan isn't technically a drug (more of a supplement) so besides the cost associated with the injections there isn't a big downside to trying it out. Also consider using Cosequin for cats.

That being said the NUMBER ONE THING that you can do for an arthritic cat is to get them to lose weight. Not sure if your kitty is overweight but if that is an issue I'd focus on that as well. Also consider mild to moderate exercise (laser pointer activities and the like) but don't over exert him/her.

Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.