Breeders, is age of buyer a serious concern?

Aleron

LOL if you want well bred dogs as a teen, get into doing dog stuff and breeders will be offering you dogs left and right ;)

For me, age isn't a concern really. Probably because I have been involved with dogs since I was a kid, teach 4H and personally know a lot of under 25 (since that was the number someone mentioned, I'll go with it) people who are great homes. I have never been a fan of blanket policies about age, kids, fences, etc.

So the answer to the question is that it depends on the person. Definitely some people are weird about all sorts of stuff when it comes to selling puppies. There's people who won't sell to you because of your age, what you'll feed, if you don't have a fence, etc, etc, etc. But for the most part, breeders want good homes for their puppies and if they think you're a good home the age shouldn't be an issue for most.

SaraB

Good references and presenting yourself well should go a long way to overcoming any possible age-related reservations.
This.

I was around your same age when I first approached a breeder about buying my first show puppy. However, I was able to back my intentions with rescue experience, breed knowledge, dedication to the breed as well as a stable home/income and a sense of maturity.

A mature, responsible 22 year old is far different from a 22 year old that spends their weekends trashed on someone's couch. It really isn't difficult to tell the difference between them either.

Also, you're killing me by not saying the breed name!! :D

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I've had more trouble with rescues than breeders, dealing with restrictions. That said hyper labeling breeders are unlikely to get my business, I prefer buying from people who're less in it to be breeders than an owner with a good dog and great breeding potential.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
I'm under 18, and I did mention it in email when I contacted two breeders. I knew I should mention it, but honestly I forgot my age could have been a deal breaker, so I guess that shows the reception. I made it clear I had already planned on futuredog coming to college, and how my parents were fine with me contacting breeders, what plans I had for the dog (working BC people), and told them I was providing the money for all the dog's expenses.

They didn't have a problem at all, it wasn't brought up again. Other than, oh how nice a youngster wants to spend her entire day with one of my puppies for the next 15 years. :rofl1:

The pain is that the obedience club in my area has a 'No one under 18 without an adult, loser' rule. So I'll have to email an instructor ahead of time so my dog and I aren't arrested for being underage. ;)

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
LOL if you want well bred dogs as a teen, get into doing dog stuff and breeders will be offering you dogs left and right ;)
LOL yep. I titled my first dog in AKC Ob/Rally when I was like... 20, I think? It definitely makes a big difference if you can show proof of prior involvement. For me, just a little bit of involvement/connectedness has gone a long way, and I've never really had trouble finding somewhere to get a dog from.

I had no problem purchasing Keeva at 22 years old, it never even came up. But the breeder is a friend of a friend so that helps too. Of course being in a stable living situation mattered, but there was never any doubt of that.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
This! If a kid was already doing obed and jr handlers and had no interest in breeding (which unfortunately doesnt happen in my breed, but hey look a unicorn pooping rainbows!) I would definitely consider them seriously

DJEtzel

I have also never had an issue adopting or purchasing a dog because of my age. Actually, it has never been mentioned and I never thought to mention it honestly.

I adopted my first dog when I was 18, renting, and in college. I worked at the shelter where she was available so that helped... and the director even gave me a discount on her adoption fee! :)

Then I jumped around trying to decide what breed I wanted next... talked to a lot of breeders, decided on Aussies for a while, couldn't find any breeders nearby or that would communicate regularly, then decided on Am Staffs last spring, met an awesome breeder that I'm still in contact with, but decided not to go with the litter I was planning on because of relationship problems (ending a 3 year relationship) and living concerns. I was renting a very large house that I couldn't afford when my boyfriend and all of my college roommates moved out for the summer. So I was homeless for about 3 months... adopted Sir despite that from animal control about a month before I went homeless because he was going to be put down and was an awesome dog. I would just adopt him out if it didn't work keeping him.. I just didn't want to see him PTS. That worked out great and a really nice Border Collie breeder that I had been admiring came out of the woodwork while I was homeless as I'd contacted her when my roommate was looking for a BC. She had a litter due in July and asked if either of us were still interested (I had been tossing around the idea then also of getting a BC instead of AmStaff) and I WAS because I hadn't gotten that puppy I had been wanting and at this point Bailey was staying with my parents. So I was 19 and homeless, working 60 hours a week at the time and we talked for a long time about what I was looking for in a dog, and my plans for housing, etc. Bought a house in august (September?) as I reassured the breeder I would, quit a job, and brought Recon home September 11th I believe!

LOTS of text there! lol, point is... age really doesn't matter to most people and I don't think my breeder even knows how old I am! I'm 20 now, but I was only 19 when I put down a deposit for the pups. They're looking for what you've already done with the dogs, the support system you have (trainers you know, places you train, etc) and what you plan to do with the dog, and how perceptive you are to their guidelines for it and keeping the puppy safe. :)

GOOD LUCK! I'm already talking to breeders for a potential 2014 litter. :D

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
GOOD LUCK! I'm already talking to breeders for a potential 2014 litter. :D
Is this what I think it is?! :rofl1:

My experience has pretty much been the same as everyone else. Age hasn't mattered. I purchased my Boxer when I was 18, though I'm not sure the breeder would have given her to me without the word of a family friend who had Harlow's litter mate from 2 years earlier.

We adopted Rider living in a Pop-up trailer in a campground, planning to move back to MI two months later at age 19 and 20. That was definitely a strange situation...

I'm currently waiting on a litter planned for 2014 with my ACD breeder. We've talked extensively, though she never once mentioned any concern for my age. As everyone has said, as long as you act mature, have somewhat stable living conditions and money flow, and have some dog experience, you should be golden.

Now, what is this mystery breed?!

DJEtzel

Is this what I think it is?! :rofl1:
SSSSHHHHH! I started talking to Gwen a little this morning. :p

BUT, I have another breed in mind as far opposite as I could get that I'll have to meet first... No one is going to know what breed I'm getting next for a while.. since I won't be able to make up my mind!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I was 21 when I got Auggie. I don't think my breeder ever even asked how old I was. My parents came with me to talk to her and check out her dogs, and I look really young, so she easily could have thought I was still in high school. I'm 28 now and still get people thinking I'm in high school...
At Auggie's very first agility trial, I ran Auggie in standard and then was off playing with him; somebody came up to his breeder (knowing he was one of her dogs) and said "She's wonderful! We should tell her about the junior handler program!!"
And my breeder was like "uhhhh... she's 23..." =P

I'm not a fan of blanket rules though I certainly understand some of them, but I wouldn't automatically rule somebody out based on their age.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
SSSSHHHHH! I started talking to Gwen a little this morning. :p

BUT, I have another breed in mind as far opposite as I could get that I'll have to meet first... No one is going to know what breed I'm getting next for a while.. since I won't be able to make up my mind!
Good luck not getting one of her dogs. I'll be talking about it so freaking much that you will just fall in love before they are even little embryo's! BTW... I think we have hijacked this.

These responses were all fantastic, thank you! I came back from an accidental ban - really glad to know the moderating team doesn't truly consider me a spammer! - to find that my thread had posted and many folks had replied. What a delight!

It seems that, for some breeders, my age may be a problem, but I probably shouldn't bother with 'em if that's the case. More breeders would, and should, care about my circumstances, regardless of my age.

I should mention that, although I'm only 22, my SO is a few years older. We're both very mature people with pretty solid life plans. He's had dogs his whole life, and I've raised Gypsy up from a pup to a well-trained adult that I'm proud of.

Admittedly, we are at a transition in our lives right now. We're both graduating with our respective degrees this spring. He'll be looking for a job, so we may be moving. Meanwhile, I'll be working, collecting experience in my field before I start grad school in summer/fall 2014. I do have a good job right now, and I'm very employable if we have to move. I wouldn't want to add a dog until A) SO finds a job, B) we find a place that we'll be staying for a while, C) we're financially secure and ready for the time commitment. That would be late-ish summer at the very earliest.

Also, you're killing me by not saying the breed name!!
Hehe. Silken windhound! I've been in love for years and years.

BTW... I think we have hijacked this.
Hijack my thread all you want, friends. I enjoy reading any dog related chattery. :)

Pintage

Mountain Dawg
Hey Kirsten, I just got a Silken Windhound (see my sig for her pic) about six months ago. I was 23 at the time and a vet student. We have a reputation for being poor and insanely busy, so I was extremely worried about having my application blown off... but I made sure to explain that I did indeed have copious amounts of free time, and that pretty much ALL of that free time would be spent with my dog. I put a lot of effort in getting to know this breeder and her dogs and in the end, she really wanted to place one of her pups with me and said that she thinks it'll be a perfect fit. :D In the end, she did a really good job at matching a pup that fit exactly what I was looking for... I'm super excited for you! Silkens are such fantastic dogs :cool:

JacksonsMom

I've spoken to a few breeders seriously about their dogs and my age was never a concern. I'm 22 now. I've always sent a little story about me, my interests, my future plans, etc, in the 'intro' e-mail. Then I always am sure to attach some of Jackson's videos (tricks, etc) and explain I'm into dog sports and have dabbled in some, etc, and it's just... never been an issue. I think breeders can tell the difference between a "dog person" and just a 22 year old who is partying every weekend, or spending the night on others couches, etc. Not to mention, for most reputable breeders, I'm almost positive none of my non-dog-people friends would ever know how to go about finding or contacting them in the first place... they'd be more apt to hit up the local pet store or classifieds ad more than anything.

DJEtzel

Sighthounds are so growing on me... I'm debating between another herder next or a sighthound. It's going to be a hard choice! I can't wait to follow your progress and hopefully new addition! :D

Gypsydals

Age really wasn't a concern with either of the dalmatian breeders I went with. Although I do have to say Ivans breeder was a bit shocked the first time she seen me. LOL To her I am still the Kid.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I was just coming 18 when I first inquired about Quinn - another rare breed with a tight sense of community! Now, my breeder did speak to my mom (Quinn was considered my birthday present - she was born 20 days before my 18th birthday) a lot (I don't think it was BECAUSE I was so young, but because my mom was the one who first inquired) and was well aware that she was on board and an experienced dog owner, but she was also fully aware that Quinn would be my dog and I would be the one handling and training her. I was also the one who signed her contract ;)

I am 20 now and in contact with a breeder for my second English Shepherd. If my age is a concern she has not brought it up yet.

I was 22 when I got Marsh. His breeder had met me in person before we talked about me taking Marsh, so she definitely knew I was young. I had put in a puppy application at the same time, and wasn't immediately turned down. I don't know if it would have become an issue, since I withdrew from that litter I think before the dogs were even bred.

I had traveled several hundred miles to the National Specialty and talked to a lot of people about the breed and my intention to play sports with the dog, so I had done a lot to show my seriousness.

Been wanting to respond to this all week but couldn't justify typing up a response when I had four exams and two quizzes to study for. Week of Hell is now over, though!

Hey Kirsten, I just got a Silken Windhound (see my sig for her pic) about six months ago. I was 23 at the time and a vet student. We have a reputation for being poor and insanely busy, so I was extremely worried about having my application blown off... but I made sure to explain that I did indeed have copious amounts of free time, and that pretty much ALL of that free time would be spent with my dog. I put a lot of effort in getting to know this breeder and her dogs and in the end, she really wanted to place one of her pups with me and said that she thinks it'll be a perfect fit. In the end, she did a really good job at matching a pup that fit exactly what I was looking for... I'm super excited for you! Silkens are such fantastic dogs
You're actually the reason I found this forum, haha! I did a Google search for recent silken windhound forum posts, or something, and it directed me to your thread with Lugia pictures. She's gorgeous! I'll probably grill you with questions about her at some point, if you're up for it. :)

I've spoken to a few breeders seriously about their dogs and my age was never a concern. I'm 22 now. I've always sent a little story about me, my interests, my future plans, etc, in the 'intro' e-mail. Then I always am sure to attach some of Jackson's videos (tricks, etc) and explain I'm into dog sports and have dabbled in some, etc, and it's just... never been an issue. I think breeders can tell the difference between a "dog person" and just a 22 year old who is partying every weekend, or spending the night on others couches, etc. Not to mention, for most reputable breeders, I'm almost positive none of my non-dog-people friends would ever know how to go about finding or contacting them in the first place... they'd be more apt to hit up the local pet store or classifieds ad more than anything.
I debated sending the breeder some info on Gypsy but decided against it, since I'm not actively searching for dog #2 yet. I wish I could say I was into dog sports, but I'm not. Not yet. Not to say we've do nothing together; quite the contrary. But we have no titles or certifications to show for it. Maybe by the time I'm ready to purchase a dog, I'll have a little more obvious dog-world-saavy to my name.

Sighthounds are so growing on me... I'm debating between another herder next or a sighthound. It's going to be a hard choice! I can't wait to follow your progress and hopefully new addition!
What breeds were you considering, out of curiosity? And you can bet I'll update ya'll with what happens! And eventual puppy pictures!

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
We brought Rylie home when I was 20 and Ian was 18. I spent a LOT of time talking with her breeder beforehand. We had our own 2 bedroom apartment and had quite a bit of free time, as we both had different class schedules. I know that our ages concerned her a bit at first, but she realized we were both mature enough to handle a puppy :)

After that, it was a piece of cake. Chloe's breeder (out of state) wanted our vet information, a copy of our lease agreement to make sure we could have more than one dog, and I think that's about it. We talked a LOT, as I put a deposit down on her at 5 weeks and she wasn't shipped until 12 weeks.

My 17 year old sister ended up getting a chihuahua puppy from Emma's breeder. She spoke with both my mom and sister to ensure that the puppy would be taken care of. My sister, for the most part, pays for the puppy. My mom takes care of vet bills, though.

Members online

No members online now.