Breed ideas?

I'm starting to research dog breeds as I'd like to get a dog in the near future. I already have a Golden, Emma. (And Moco, although he does not live with me) so I'd like another dog around her size. Actually, anywhere from 45-70 pounds would be good. I'd be able to provide whatever amount of exercise that's neccesary. (Within reason). Emma get's walked anywhere from 2-5 times a day and all are pretty lengthy walks. I'll also be feeding top of the line food. (IMO) Canidae and a mixture of the raw diet. I want a dog that I can compete in either, agility, or flyball with. I've been looking into an Australian Sheperd. Do you think this would be a nice fit? Are there any other dog breeds that may fit my standards?

Thanks!

Toller_08

From the info you gave, I'd say an Aussie would probably be a good fit. They excel in almost all dog sports, are active and in the size range you'd like to have. I'm sure you've read tons abut them already if you've been considering the Aussie, so I'm sure you know how active and intelligent they are. Is there anything else you'd like to have in a dog? Do you want a good watchdog (couple of warning barks) or a guarding type breed? Do you want a dog that's good with strangers and loves everybody right away, or would you rather one that's more reserved around strangers? Do you have any other breeds in mind?

I don't want a dog for any guard dog purposes, I know Aussies have more of a guarding kind of personality compared to some dogs, which is fine, but s/he will not be used as a guard dog. I've also heard that Aussies can be more reserved with strangers. This is also okay as long as I can assure that this does not develop into any agression problems. I've researched about training etc. I will be doing both a puppy, and intermediete training course. (Perhaps advance, although after intermediete I'd like to branch into a specific dog sport).

I've thought of getting another Golden, although I'd really like to expand in dog breeds and take on a different challenge training wise. I've researched Brittany's, and English Springers. All in which are a possibility.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Aussie sounds like a good match. They are quite protective but I've never met an overprotective Aussie before.

If you're considering an Aussie it couldn't hurt to look into the Border Collie too - I'm of the opinion that BCs make amazing performance dogs, especially for a novice. Things like agility come naturally to them, they are highly motivated by toy rewards such as balls, and they love to work just for the sake of working.
If I had to make a rough comparison between the Aussie and BC I would say that the Border Collie is more intense about working than the Aussie - this can be a good or bad thing, depending on what you want in a dog. The plus of the intensity is that the dog is always willing to put 100% into its job, they are eager to learn and often need no reward for a good behavior other than a "gooood job!" and a pat on the head. The downside is that with their intensity comes quirkiness. If you absolutely can't handle strange, random interests or compulsions (such as watching TV, collecting socks or shrieking with rage whenever someone goes swimming without them) you're probably better off without a BC.

You also might want to look into Tollers - very sweet, intelligent little dogs. A bit more drive and energy than Goldens, but a similar kind disposition.

Toller_08

RD said:
You also might want to look into Tollers - very sweet, intelligent little dogs. A bit more drive and energy than Goldens, but a similar kind disposition.

I hope this doesn't sound rude, because I'm not meaning to but have you met many Tollers?? I've been researching Tollers for atleast 10 years now and have spent a lot of time with them in person. They're truly the enly thing I care about besides my family and dogs. I'll be getting a purebred in 2 years and will never be without one after that. In my opinion, they're not comparable to the Golden at all except for the fact that both love to retrieve. They're extremely active, always on the go and wanting something to do dogs. They constantly want to play, you can expect a ball to be dropped in your lap and have a Toller stare at you waiting for the ball to be thrown atleast once every 15-20mins. They're also extremely intense, highly intelligent (stubborn) dogs. Yes, they're willing to please but there must be something it it for them or else they see absolutely no point in doing what is asked a lot of the time. Many Golden people have Tollers also and they find that the Golden is lower maintenance and a whole lot more calm than the Toller. Many Golden people with Tollers that I've met, say they will stick with their Goldens and won't have another Toller. They're very reserved with strangers and prefer to watch from a distance, where as a Golden usually loves most everyone. They've also got their Toller scream, whcih sounds similar to a 2 year old child in a tantrum. It's not pleasant, but, Toller people put up with it because we love everything else about the breed. Many Border Collie people also have Tollers...Tollers are similar to the Border Collie, except instead of the drive to herd, they retrieve. They're almost just as active as BCs (A little less than the BC, but more than the Aussie) and have TONS of drive and energy. Now, I'm just speaking from my experience and maybe yours is different. It could also depend on the breeders, but this is generally ow the Toller is.

However, all of that being said, I think a Toller could possibly be a good match for you. They range in size from 17-21" at the withers and are between 37-55lbs usually...which is a little smaller than you'd planned but not too far off. The males are bigger, obviously. I personally feel the Aussie would fit you better but if you have any specific questions abut the Toller at all please feel free to PM me or post in here :)

bubbatd

Agree, Toller....Ive only met 2, but they were much stronger willed than any Golden I've owned. I thought I might go that way too, but will stick to Golden s or great mutt !

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
Why not get a labrador retriever? They do well in agility. I have a 48lbs female who is as agile as any dog I have seen. She can and has jumped up effortlessly on top of the dog house which is a nearly 5 ft.
She is fast from the start and finishes just as quickly. She is kind and willing to learn. This is what alot of field trial dogs are like now days. Small, lean, agile, and quick! She would excell at agility or fly ball no problem! She has the speed and focus. She litterally will stand up on her hind legs when she takes off then its nothing but a black streak!
Wait I take that back...Maybe she wouldnt do well with agility..I dont think I could keep up with her! LOL
If you are interested in a small speed demon Lab I can direct you to the right lines.
Yeah I am biased but what can I say? I love Labs!:D

All good suggestions! I'm a bit biased toward the Aussies, but . . . . Another dog that fits in with your criteria beautifully would be a Standard Poodle.

poodlesmom

I'll have to second Renee's suggestion: Standard Poodle!:) They are easy to train & excel at obedience, love people & other dogs, can be quite active or couch potatoes. Although they need to be clipped about every 8 wks if they are kept in a short clip like my 2 in between times grooming is very easy and they don't shed.

Both of mine have earned their CD degrees in obed. and Farley competes in a couple of weeks towards his CDX.

I have started Chloe in agility classes and at the 1st class was quite impressed with how well she did - a little hesitant the 1st time on the dog walk & teeter but after that she was quite comfortable with both. The 2nd class the tunnel was introduced and she went thru it the 1st time no problem. Now I'm looking forward to seeing how week 3 goes.:)

RD

Are you dead yet?
Toller_08 said:
I hope this doesn't sound rude, because I'm not meaning to but have you met many Tollers?? I've been researching Tollers for atleast 10 years now and have spent a lot of time with them in person. They're truly the enly thing I care about besides my family and dogs. I'll be getting a purebred in 2 years and will never be without one after that. In my opinion, they're not comparable to the Golden at all except for the fact that both love to retrieve. They're extremely active, always on the go and wanting something to do dogs. They constantly want to play, you can expect a ball to be dropped in your lap and have a Toller stare at you waiting for the ball to be thrown atleast once every 15-20mins. They're also extremely intense, highly intelligent (stubborn) dogs. Yes, they're willing to please but there must be something it it for them or else they see absolutely no point in doing what is asked a lot of the time. Many Golden people have Tollers also and they find that the Golden is lower maintenance and a whole lot more calm than the Toller. Many Golden people with Tollers that I've met, say they will stick with their Goldens and won't have another Toller. They're very reserved with strangers and prefer to watch from a distance, where as a Golden usually loves most everyone. They've also got their Toller scream, whcih sounds similar to a 2 year old child in a tantrum. It's not pleasant, but, Toller people put up with it because we love everything else about the breed. Many Border Collie people also have Tollers...Tollers are similar to the Border Collie, except instead of the drive to herd, they retrieve. They're almost just as active as BCs (A little less than the BC, but more than the Aussie) and have TONS of drive and energy. Now, I'm just speaking from my experience and maybe yours is different. It could also depend on the breeders, but this is generally ow the Toller is.

However, all of that being said, I think a Toller could possibly be a good match for you. They range in size from 17-21" at the withers and are between 37-55lbs usually...which is a little smaller than you'd planned but not too far off. The males are bigger, obviously. I personally feel the Aussie would fit you better but if you have any specific questions abut the Toller at all please feel free to PM me or post in here :)
That sounds nothing like the Tollers that I have met. The ones I've met are as loving as a Golden with their family, very kind dogs. Definitely not mellow like a Golden (I would agree that their drive is closer to that of the Border Collie than that of the Golden) but I would say that their loving disposition is similar.
It probably is a difference in the dogs we've met. Perhaps a difference in show and working lines too, I'm sure. Show dogs almost always are a bit less intense than working dogs.

RetrieverLove, a Dalmatian also comes to mind. Well-bred Dals are friendly and responsive. Dals are far more strong-willed (some would say stubborn) than a Golden, BC or Aussie but they are very smart dogs and if you can harness their energy, a Dal would be a wonderful performance dog. They're fast and agile and are like the energizer bunny in terms of endurance. :)

I may be biased but I agree with the others on Aussie, and I alsoLUV Dobermans... but sounds like your for the Aussie great choice!! the aussies I have been around/worked with have been fairly easy to train to go offlead (as in you mean heeling/recall?) Although my issue with offlead is they se something and are high prey drive to they may not want to return IMMEDIATELY lol you know that 'just a minutemom' look as they shoot off after a squirrel... lol but I luv Aussies and theyre well worth the time!
Lindsey

AusCatDogs_4Ever

but please call me Aus.
Australian Cattle Dog seems to suit you quite well too. :) They are a bit shorter than an Aussie, but males weigh an average of 45-50 pounds (Charlie is 55.4 pounds). They are wary of strangers and protective of their owners and property, but they are more of a warning bark dog, not one to attack. They are very quiet dogs and only bark when nessascery. Their coat is very low matainence and easy to care for. They excel at agility and fly ball, they also love to retrieve (balls and frisbees). They are very intelligent and egar to please, but males can be stubborn. They do great off-leash because they are velco dogs and like to stick near their owners. They do well untied at home as well because they are not roamers and like to stay on their own property.

If you are interested in ACDs just say so and I can tell you more. ;)

I'm looking into some breeders right now and on ones page it stated that you cannot let them offleash? Do you think I will be able to train my Aussie to go offleash?

You should be able to train an Aussie to do just about anything and everything. The first one I met belonged to a friend who was a rodeo clown. His Roscoe worked right with him and the two of them even did a show during the break.

Toller_08

I'm pretty sure most dog breed websites say the same thing about being off leash for every breed. Honestly speaking from experience, I think the herding and sporting breeds (aswell as a lot of the working) are some of the easiest breeds to teach when it comes to being off lead as they do tend to be very loyal to their owners and want to stick relatively close by. I know many Aussies who are reliable off lead so yes, it is possible.

Melissa_W

stevinski said:
sheltie!!!
or a rough collie lol but i'm biased!
A Sheltie fits all the criteria except size. They are considerably smaller. They usually range between 15-20 pounds. Skye is a bit bigger at 23 pounds.

I think an Aussie would be a really good fit.

Where's Zoom? She should be weighing in on this. ;)

Members online

No members online now.