Just for fun: suggest me a breed!

AmandaNola

Wanna Pet My Wiener?
I'll probably be adding another dog to the household in 2-4 years, and while I have a good idea of the breeds I'd like I thought it'd be cool to see what y'all suggest. I've own many dogs and have bred, shown and handled, so experience isn't an issue.

Here's some info:

7-35lbs

Preferably not a huge shedder

Minimal grooming would be nice, and absolutely NO professional grooming

No dog aggression known in the breed, and gets along well with other dogs

Decent drive, for either food or toys

Biddibility isn't a huge concern, but like mentioned above I'd like good drive

No flat faces

Preferably a healthy breed

Barking isn't an issue since Nola is a Dachshund, but nothing yappy (as in high pitched, make your ears bleed sound)

I'm an active person, so high energy breeds are just fine (I don't think I could take a JRT though!), and I want the dog to be able to be active with me and Nola

Non agressive, but aloofness is okay

Solid tempered, aka not nervy

And go!

Zhucca

Lab Love
Does minimal grooming mean short hair only? Some long haired dogs just need a quick brush out once a week.

I'm not a total expert on all breeds I'm going to suggest, but based on your list:

Border Terriers fit your list pretty dang close.
Icelandic Sheepdog - some may go over your weight, and some can be shy, sheds.
Mittelspitz (sheds)
Field Spaniel - might be a grooming issue
kooikerhondje
hungarian Mudi
Cardigan Corgi?
Whippet
Manchester Terrier

Thats all I can really think of right now.

AmandaNola

Wanna Pet My Wiener?
Border Terrier, Corgi, Whippet and Icelandic Sheepdog were all on the list!

Nope, long hair is fine too. I'm fine with a quick brushing every few days and of course bath and nail trims, but I don't for hours of grooming or professional grooming,

I have an Icie, so if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask! They would fit all of your requirements, but are definitely on the larger side of what you're looking for. Some of the coats, particularly softer/longer, can take a lot of maintenance. Our girl has a medium coat that is very rough and she's basically wash and wear, doesn't really shed except when blowing coat and it's not even that bad then. But I really hope you mean it when you say you don't mind barking ;)

AmandaNola

Wanna Pet My Wiener?
Oh, I mean it. You should hear my Nola (Dachshund) when she gets going! Don't mind vocal either, except whining. That drives me nuts.:p

Oh, I mean it. You should hear my Nola (Dachshund) when she gets going! Don't mind vocal either, except whining. That drives me nuts.:p
She's not much of a whiner, they're not vocal in the same way I find German Shepherds and Huskies to be. It's usually either barking or nothing. And especially if you get a dog as a puppy, you can train it out to some extent. Definitely check out icelanddogs.com and look around on that site, particularly this page: http://www.icelanddogs.com/Temperament.html

I will say, especially after just having an Icie puppy in the house for a month (extra socialization for his breeder), that there are some odd things that for some reason seem to be very similar among all of them... they like digging in the water bowl, they like eating fabric and toilet paper (but not shoes), they want to chase cars (like most herding dogs lol), they do NOT like birds (most predators in Iceland are birds) and they are super velcro. Obviously everyone has their own personality but those are all things that I've heard time and time again from Icie owners. Also, there are not very many of them so everyone knows everyone, which can be a good thing and a bad thing ;)

BostonBanker

But I really hope you mean it when you say you don't mind barking
lol We have an Icelandic in our agility club, and holy crap...I have never met a dog with a bigger mouth on it! In a herd of shelties and Aussies and border collies, she stand above them all! Super cute little dog though, and a very nice agility dog.

But holy crap. The barking.

Have you thought of Border Terriers? I love those guys!

Cardigans are kind of a love 'em or hate 'em type breed; there's alot to love for the right owner, but also alot of things that would annoy alot of people lol

Like alot of herding dogs, cardigans can be iffy with other dogs and tend to be queen bee in the houshold. They require ALOT of socialization because they're bred to be suspicious and reserved.

But, they have above average intelligence although not quite as biddable as a border collie.

They're alot like little German Shepherds in temperament, so if you like GSDs you'll probably like Cardigans.

I have a special love,for the Brittany.
Medium sized,very active,loving,social and easy going.
See them,all over my neck of the woods and they are always happy,eager beavers.
Was also thinking of the PyrShep,Koolie,Aussie or BC.

Members online

No members online now.