Does he have cataract and how severe?

fwed

This is a stray dog I'm fostering at the moment. He's maybe 1 year old, still very young. Overall very healthy, strong and energetic but he has this one cloudy eye. Here is the picture, does this look like cataract and how bad does it look? I'm taking him to a vet this weekend to look at it but still want to get opinions from people on this board that may have experience with cataract. What are the chances he would need surgery? I'm asking because although I'm just fostering him now, I'm thinking about keeping him if no one will take him.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
As far as surgery... really, it's up to you. I mean, he's a young dog, so I don't see why not go ahead and deal with it. Really, it just looks like he doesn't have vision in that eye due to the catarct, so it would depend on how horrible you think being blind in one eye is.

fwed

As far as surgery... really, it's up to you. I mean, he's a young dog, so I don't see why not go ahead and deal with it. Really, it just looks like he doesn't have vision in that eye due to the catarct, so it would depend on how horrible you think being blind in one eye is.
I don't think it's bad at all, it doesn't effect him now. What i'm concerned with is whether it will develop and cause him pain in the future. Being blind in one eye and that being the only sympton isn't too bad for him because he's a happy dog right now.

stafinois

Professional Nerd
In this pic that eye looks like it might be smaller. It might be congenital, or stem from an injury. It's impossible to tell from a photo.

Members online