What are the symtoms of UTI in a dog?

Okay, so my puppy just went to the vet for fleas.. and went to the groomer to get all the dead ones to go away. She also got the anual check up and the doctor said everything came out great but the only thing wrong with her was the fleas. BUT- she's still whinning. She is licking herself a lot more I think and she keeps going to her cage. It's so sad. But tonight she started shivering more. The doctor nor the groomer noticed anything visibly wrong with her.. and she never whines when you touch any part of her. I'm really worried but i just spent $200 at the vet and then another $50 at the groomer. I can't afford to go to the vet unless this is EXTREMELY crutial. But I was wondering if it sounds like UTI and also, if there is any home romedy that I can use for now until the first or what not? Thanks so much.

*edit*

I just looked at the form that i got from the vet when he did her overall check up. It says her urinary is normal. Should I trust him? Should I take her to the ER? I don't really know what to do. She seems to be in a lot of pain. :-/

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i have a birth defect that causes me to have more then my fair share of uti infections..so i can speak with a bit of knowing..frequent and painful urination..sometimes an animal will dribble as well..elevated temperature...blood or cloudy urine too. IF you can collect a sample you could have it checked out hopefully without having to pay for an office visit.

Actually, i don't think it's uti. She's been acting weird since Monday. She has been whinning and staying in her cage even though its open. She's eating less, not much less but less. And she whines until she has all of her toys in her cage. Then she will curl up and lay on them. She has never done this before. Normally she doesnt like going in her cage but knows that when we leave, thats where she goes. She will come out of her cage every once in a while to say hi, but then will go straight back into her cage and cuddle up with her toys. Shes so socialable.. i don't know what shes doing. She's stopped shaking as much this morning... but it's so weird. She started this weird act the monday before we took her to the vet. I had said something about it but they didn't find anything. So I've just been thinking that it's uti. But this morning shes being MUCH more possessive. We can actually go into her cage though without her whinning or biting (she never bites). I don't know whats wrong with her. Do you think she just wants to be a mother?

mojozen

bullie lover
rushinglove said:
Actually, i don't think it's uti. She's been acting weird since Monday. She has been whinning and staying in her cage even though its open. She's eating less, not much less but less. And she whines until she has all of her toys in her cage. Then she will curl up and lay on them. She has never done this before. Normally she doesnt like going in her cage but knows that when we leave, thats where she goes. She will come out of her cage every once in a while to say hi, but then will go straight back into her cage and cuddle up with her toys. Shes so socialable.. i don't know what shes doing. She's stopped shaking as much this morning... but it's so weird. She started this weird act the monday before we took her to the vet. I had said something about it but they didn't find anything. So I've just been thinking that it's uti. But this morning shes being MUCH more possessive. We can actually go into her cage though without her whinning or biting (she never bites). I don't know whats wrong with her. Do you think she just wants to be a mother?
Is she spayed? How old?

She has not yet been spayed and she is 1 year and 8 months. She had her normal heat periods. I think she just got out of second heat about 2 months ago.

Doberluv

When did she start acting this whining, subdued way? How long has this been going on? What, if anything, was going on (besides the fleas) preceding this...any other changes in her enviornment or your family? How have you been reacting to her when she whines or shivers? What do you do?

If you feel it's something medical, don't hesitate to get a second opinion from another vet.

I have no idea if it's medical right now. Well, let's see, monday was when it started. We had a cat but gave it to a no-kill adoption agency monday night. But he whinning started on Monday morning. She was getting in trouble a lot because she kept eating the cats fur (getting really mad at her and tearing it out) and she would pee on the floor more. She has been house trained for a while and has accidents every once in a while, but she was having them more this month. Every since we took in the kitty really. She's an only kid and has been for the majority of her life. We had noticed that we weren't over killing her with love whenever the kitty came. But other than the cat, that's the only thing I can think of that has changed. Oh and the fleas. lol. Boyfriend and i are doing great and there is really no stress around the apartment. We haven't been sick or anything. Another thing that I should probably point out is whenever she walks into the kitchen (the bedroom door is right inside the kitchen and the kitchen attaches to the living room too) she whines some. We're trying to figure out if something traumatic happened to her. But I can't come up with anythign but the cat?!

Doberluv

The only thing I can think of if it's for sure nothing medical, is that you may have been inadvertantly reinforcing that behavior, feeling worried about her and perhaps hovering a little more or drawing attention to her when she is feeling this way. The cat could have something to do with her stress too. I guess, if it were me, I'd try to get a second opinion, if you're not feeling super confident with this vet. I don't know how thoroughly your vet checked the dog over, what tests he did, what he was looking for. Otherwise, when she is acting like that, be careful not to make a fuss over her and give it some time....she may need to adjust to not having the cat there anymore. Does she still have flea bites or raw spots? I hope you figure this out and that she gets better. Let us know.

I think she has one raw spot on her. But she doesnt seem bothered by it at all. Thank you for your opinion. It really helps.

Doberluv

You're welcome. But I could be off on that. It was all I could seem to come up with. I sure hope she gets Ok and it isn't anything much. Keep us posted. Good luck.

Well, i dont think she could be pregnant seeing as how she is a stictly indoor dog and we don't have any male dogs in the apartment. What is a false pregnancy? Is she acting like a pregnant dog would act?

Well, I just wanted to update you that she is acting fine now. All of a sudden, yesterday and today, something seemed to have snapped or something. She completely stopped shaking and she is back to her clingy old self. She whines when we arent paying attention to her. We think she just got jealous of the kitty or something. Thanks for all your help :)

Actually, you know, after i read this post yesterday, i did some research. I found something online about the false pregnancy. She has the EXACT symptoms of a puppy with a false pregnancy. That's crazy. It was a relief to find out that it wasn't stress or the cat. Thank you for your help btw. I never knew that there was such a thing as a false pregnancy. We are going to get her spayed in the beginning of March... i'm sure puppy is THRILLED. haha. Thanks!

aelizilly

Beagle Bailey
I too am just reading the post, and glad to hear you came up with an answer. I was thinking of the pregnancy thing when you mentioned she was taking her toys into crate and sitting with them, that sounded like a mothering instinct.

Glad it is solved.

Members online

No members online now.