Nail Caps

Has anyone used nail caps to protect thier hard wood floors? We just found a house that has the most beautiful floors- but we're worried about scratching. Is it harmful/unhealthy to keep those caps on for months and months on end? I really want this house- but it's not worth it if they are just going to get ruined!

Thanks in advance!
Tami

Cheza

Is there any way to find out what grade the hardwood is..? I think most laminate is very resistant to scratching, but hard-wood can vary wildly depending on what species and grade of wood is used.

I think it's knotty pine- but other than that, I'm not sure. I can ask when I go to visit again. I do know it's very shiny though. VERY shiny.

But really curious about the nail caps- anyone used them before?

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
It's rarely mentioned for dogs... It's more heard of for cats..

Pine is very very soft and will distress without much effort.

We have Oak floors throughout most of our house and with 2 dogs running around, you can't tell. I don't think capping nails is worth the effort myself. But that's just me. Keep them trimmed, and often and it should be less of an issue.

RD

Are you dead yet?
You can use caps, but really it'd be easier to grind down the dog's nails until they are very short and smooth, and then just maintain them every other day so they stay blunt.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
I agree with RD..

Find a groomer who will dremel the nails, or do it yourself (MAKE SURE YOU READ UP ON HOW TO PROPERLY DO THIS AS YOU CAN BURN YOUR DOG).

Just trim the nail regularily with a nail trimmer, then take the dremmel to them to make them round. I have done this to Riots nails for a good few months now and have yet to have a problem.

Roxy's CD

We have birch floors throughout the majority of the house and pine in the bedroom and back rooms.

I clip my guy's nails every week, they're as short as can be, and it makes no difference.

The glossy cherry finish on the birch is scratched in the high traffic areas beyond believe. The pine doesn't have as glossy of a finish and it's much harder to notice, plus the pine isn't in the "playing" areas of the house.

We paid thousands for our hardwood floors, and even I had known about the nail caps, like Mafia said, we probably still wouldn't have done it.

Thanks guys! I was leaning toword getting a dremmel anyway- just wanted to see if anyone had experience with those caps. I'm not crazy about the idea though- just doesn't seem natural.

I've set up an appointment with Charly's groomer so she can teach me how to do it properly. Then I can maintain myself.

Thanks again!
Tami & Charly

S

savethebulliedbreeds

I have used nail caps on one of my chihuahuas just to see if I liked them or not. They stayed on quite a while. You have to keep replacing them every couple weeks even if they are on otherwise their nails will grow too long. Its time consuming but worth it. And they come in pretty colors too :D

We have hardwood floors throughout entire house and a german shepherd/husky and it's has never been a problem. Our floors are also polyerathaned (sp?) a protective coating that goes over them. It comes in high gloss, satin finish and a few in between. I strongly recommend it, you don't see any scratches on our floor and my husband and dog are always chasing each other around!

Members online

No members online now.