The Good News thread

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
So, I'm actually starting to get really excited. I'm still trying not to hold my breath, and I'm still trying not to get TOO excited, because the scenario has changed about 10 times and God only knows what is going to happen over the next few weeks, or months, but, if all scheduling goes as planned...

I'M GETTING MARRIED IN DECEMBER!!! :D

Which, is like, in three months.

*flail*

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I really think my dog is getting better! I still need to weigh her at the vet's, but all my coworkers commented that she looks less gaunt and her eyes are brighter. Her energy seems to be coming back to normal (oh joy... LOL).

I've been giving her pancreatin with each meal and it seems that it's allowing her to digest fatty stuff that would have otherwise given her the runs. She can now have coconut oil and PB on her kibble with no problems!

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
So, I'm actually starting to get really excited. I'm still trying not to hold my breath, and I'm still trying not to get TOO excited, because the scenario has changed about 10 times and God only knows what is going to happen over the next few weeks, or months, but, if all scheduling goes as planned...

I'M GETTING MARRIED IN DECEMBER!!! :D

Which, is like, in three months.

*flail*
Congrats! December weddings are the best. ;) Do you know the date yet?!

Woot!

Just got home from an awesome win at the first game of the NLDS:) The Cardinals have been very kind to us and make anniversary presents between DH and I pretty much a no brainer every year :)

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Congrats! December weddings are the best. ;) Do you know the date yet?!
No, don't know the date yet. Michael will have two weeks at home over Christmas, but he won't know exact dates until the base makes their official "holiday policy". Which is why I'm trying to not get excited. But, the higher ups he's spoken with have said if he wants a wedding, that's the time to do it, and if the higher ups think he'll actually be home for two weeks....then he will be? (Or that's what I'm trying to tell myself, anyways.) He should know exact dates in the next week or two (or three).

My birthday is the 19th, and Michael wants it then so he only has to remember one date. LOL I told him I was going to be really mean and make it be after Christmas, so then he'd have my birthday, Christmas, then our anniversary all in a row. In reality, we're going to gave it as early as possible (hopefully before Christmas) so we can spend the rest if his time home not worrying about the wedding. I'll just laugh if my birthday is the lucky day.

Anyways. Excited. :D

My niece asked me to make her wedding dress. I'm so excited, and so honored to have this opportunity, and sad that she's grown up enough to get married, I'm a mess of emotions right now, but mostly happy ones.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
No, don't know the date yet. Michael will have two weeks at home over Christmas, but he won't know exact dates until the base makes their official "holiday policy". Which is why I'm trying to not get excited. But, the higher ups he's spoken with have said if he wants a wedding, that's the time to do it, and if the higher ups think he'll actually be home for two weeks....then he will be? (Or that's what I'm trying to tell myself, anyways.) He should know exact dates in the next week or two (or three).

My birthday is the 19th, and Michael wants it then so he only has to remember one date. LOL I told him I was going to be really mean and make it be after Christmas, so then he'd have my birthday, Christmas, then our anniversary all in a row. In reality, we're going to gave it as early as possible (hopefully before Christmas) so we can spend the rest if his time home not worrying about the wedding. I'll just laugh if my birthday is the lucky day.

Anyways. Excited. :D
Awesome! Well I hope everything works out for you. Bolded is HILARIOUS because Josh and I actually got married on HIS birthday so he could remember.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Just told my boss I was interested in the assistant management position she offered me. There's a 3 month probation period and I can go back to my old position if I don't like the job at the end of 3 months so that's what made me change my mind.

My brother may finally be getting serious about getting some of his artwork out there....really hope he does. My cousin commissioned him to do some drawings of dogs for greeting cards they are putting out. Probably not allowed to post those lol but here is the one of Qcumber he did for me that I shared earlier. He actually really is not comfortable doing animals but I think they are pretty good still ;)

(and this is a cell phone pic of the drawing so not the best example)

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Hannah is not a fan of math (just like I was/am). She just lacks confidence in that area, gets frustrated, just plain doesn't enjoy it. I REALLY struggled with math as a kid and regularly cried over my math homework. So I have decided to shorten our work book lessons for now and spend more time with playing math games.

So tonight we played a game we call "math jack" LOL. It's basically black jack but with the face cards taken out and we aim for 19 instead of 21. Whoever wind the round gets to take a skittle from the loser lol. First to lose all their skittles loses the game.

So yes... I am sorta teaching her to gamble LOL but dang it she is excited about math lol.

I will say that I lost BUT Beezer came along and ate two of my skittles :eek: so it wasn't a fair game. ;) lol

Hannah is not a fan of math (just like I was/am). She just lacks confidence in that area, gets frustrated, just plain doesn't enjoy it. I REALLY struggled with math as a kid and regularly cried over my math homework. So I have decided to shorten our work book lessons for now and spend more time with playing math games.

So tonight we played a game we call "math jack" LOL. It's basically black jack but with the face cards taken out and we aim for 19 instead of 21. Whoever wind the round gets to take a skittle from the loser lol. First to lose all their skittles loses the game.

So yes... I am sorta teaching her to gamble LOL but dang it she is excited about math lol.

I will say that I lost BUT Beezer came along and ate two of my skittles :eek: so it wasn't a fair game. ;) lol
Have you looked into Life of Fred at all? Its a math program but its books...hard to explain lol but my kids both love it.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Have you looked into Life of Fred at all? Its a math program but its books...hard to explain lol but my kids both love it.
I haven't really looked into it a lot but I have heard of it. We are using Math U see right now. I wanted to give it some time with shorter workbook lessons and more reinforcing games to see if that helps but if she is still resistant to the workbook lessons, I will be looking for a new curriculum. Glad to hear some first hand experience with life of Fred :). Thanks for the tip, will definitely be checking it out.

Saeleofu

I took my first dose of adderall today (it was actually half a dose because I'm a chicken). I didn't have to take a nap this afternoon, which is unusual, and I was actually productive! Since I didn't die I'll take a full dose tomorrow(it has SIX PAGES of warnings and side effects :yikes:).

CaliTerp07

Hannah is not a fan of math (just like I was/am).
Careful careful not to let her hear that you were/are not a fan of math! I have so many kiddos come into my room and use it as an excuse :( "I suck at math, just like my dad did" Sometimes it's more subtle, "My mom says she made sure to choose a career that never uses math. What can I do that has no math in it?"

There is no genetic component to being good/bad at math...yet somehow we seem to think there is, and often use it as an excuse.

The games are a great idea though! I use games all the time in my classroom to get the kids more involved. It's amazing how a little competition sparks enthusiasm :) Check out education blogs from elementary school teachers. I have a ton on my rss reader (though all middle/high school) and I get tonnnnnns of great ideas that I can adapt for my classroom.

SoCrafty

I am awful at math. Numbers make very little sense to me. It was always so embarrassing when the teacher would do flash cards in front of everyone and I would just literally guess numbers because I didn't understand. As an adult When worked in he pharmacy I had to count by 2, instead of five, because I visually couldn't see 5. I'd have to count them first to make sure it was 5 and then go on.

The games that helped when I were a kid was memorization, something where I could see how many (I.e. two apples, five bananas). A tutor taught me one time that for numbers 1-5 if you count how many points are on the #, you can use it. I.e. 1 has one point, 2 has 2 (one at the start of the curve, and one on the tail) etc. That may help her with addition and subtraction - still helps me today!

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Careful careful not to let her hear that you were/are not a fan of math! I have so many kiddos come into my room and use it as an excuse :( "I suck at math, just like my dad did" Sometimes it's more subtle, "My mom says she made sure to choose a career that never uses math. What can I do that has no math in it?"

There is no genetic component to being good/bad at math...yet somehow we seem to think there is, and often use it as an excuse.

The games are a great idea though! I use games all the time in my classroom to get the kids more involved. It's amazing how a little competition sparks enthusiasm :) Check out education blogs from elementary school teachers. I have a ton on my rss reader (though all middle/high school) and I get tonnnnnns of great ideas that I can adapt for my classroom.
My difficulties with math weren't just a general dislike of the subject. I mostly struggled (and still do) with the order of things, directional stuff and reading numbers backwards. The thing I struggled with the MOST is probably one of the easiest concepts... Rounding numbers. I could not for the life of me grasp that concept. My brain just couldn't comprehend whether the number should go up or down. My teacher would get so frustrated with me because it seemed like such a simple concept and I was the only one that struggled with it. I would literally cry over my math homework every night because the numbers would be backwards or I couldn't figure out if I was going up or down, etc. I actually wrote my name backwards until the third grade :eek: Hannah never has to worry about that being an issue though LOL.

I still struggle with left vs right and when I have to cut things at the preschool in certain angles... I screw it up every time lol. it's actually the running joke now. I don't struggle with it like I did as a child but I still have to stop and think if what my eyes see and what my brain says jive up lol.

I don't necessarily think Hannah has this problem as she learned her left and right pretty early (compared to me) and is quite good at it but I do find that every once in a while she'll start writing letters and numbers backwards (5 and 7 she really struggles with). I'm not overly concerned about it as it can just be part of her age but there is always that pang of "Oh no... I hope she doesn't see numbers the way I do" whenever she does it. We just fix it and move on. but I think games are really going to help her. We also make up songs that help her. Songs are how she learned to skip count by 2's, 3's, 5's, 10's, etc. I sing them while she brushes her teeth. Singing during brushing time started because I wanted to make sure she was brushing her teeth well enough and long enough so I would sing and when the song was over it would be time to stop brushing lol.

Greenmagick, I looked at that Life of Fred... OH MY GOSH, I love it. I think I'm going to order the first book for her when Brian gets paid next. I wish that guy that does the live action video on the website would do every story and have a series of Fred videos lol. he's hilarious and he really brings it to life (no pun intended lol) Hannah would love him hahaha.

joce

I finally emailed the dobe breeder a couple people have pointed me to. I can not believe how anxious I am to hear back:yikes: I have been putting it off.

I am hoping for 2-4 years out and just want it to go right! I have never done the right way though a breeder before. Rescues, trade for a horse and out of the paper for the most part.

Members online

No members online now.