For all you Corgi people

I thought I'd share this French Corgi site that I just found - it's pretty funny and quirky:

http://www.cosmochien.com/

And also, just wondering, are Corgis usually very vocal? I don't mean when there's someone at the door, something going on in the house etc - but in general. I've heard some people say they are really loud and others say they only bark if something's up at home and are quiet most of the time.

FG167

My girl runs her mouth constantly. Jason's only outside sometimes. They are both alert barkers.

milos_mommy

I don't know too many corgis but the three I do know aren't barkers (one was a mix)

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
They bark. A lot. You may find the outlier here and there who's relatively quiet but in general, both corgi breeds using barking as a default mode of expression. Of course training can help mitigate this if it bothers the owner, but they definitely have a tendency to be barky.

Keeva doesn't bark at leaves blowing in the wind, or anything stupid. She alert barks if something there only, but she alert barks pretty passionately when there is! ;) If she gets bored in agility class (standing around while the instructor explains something) she'll bark. If one of the other dogs has something she wants, she'll bark. When I stir yogurt into her breakfast in the morning (OMG YOGURTZ!), she barks. Get the picture?

It's funny because I never personally found Koolies all that barky (though they're certainly not quiet), personally, but my point of reference is Keeva. LOL

Taqroy

It's funny because I never personally found Koolies all that barky (though they're certainly not quiet), personally, but my point of reference is Keeva. LOL
I've really wondered exactly how the vocalness of Koolies compares. Tipper sounds a lot like Keeva - she barks for a reason but how valid that reason is depends on who you ask. I, for one, do NOT think it is necessary to bark at me when I'm walking to the door. Tipper begs (loudly) to differ.

ETA: Tipper is only a half a corgi but acts like a full as far as I can tell. Mu is half too but acts much more heeler (considerably less fun oriented and a lot less sassy lol).

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Frodo alert barks and in general makes a lot of noise. Lots of rooing, grunting, wuffling, all kinds of sounds.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I've really wondered exactly how the vocalness of Koolies compares. Tipper sounds a lot like Keeva - she barks for a reason but how valid that reason is depends on who you ask. I, for one, do NOT think it is necessary to bark at me when I'm walking to the door. Tipper begs (loudly) to differ.

ETA: Tipper is only a half a corgi but acts like a full as far as I can tell. Mu is half too but acts much more heeler (considerably less fun oriented and a lot less sassy lol).
I should video tape what Keeva does when I come home from work. LOL

I have a relatively small sample size of both breeds, but I'd def say corgis are louder than Koolies. But both breeds seem to be "stimulation barkers".

ETA: I remember being worried Keeva would be one of those nervy, barks at every little sound dogs, but she's really not. She's just ferocious when there IS something there, LOL. IMO that's pretty normal/correct, these little guys were responsible for all around farm duties, including watch dog duties and deterring trespassers.

I knew Keeva had her head on straight (for a corgi) when as a pup, she let out a little woof the first time she heard the coffee percolating. I held her to the counter so she could see that it was an appliance and she looked at me like, "Oh yeah, duh, just the coffee brewing," and never barked at it again. She's "smart" about her alert barking, just... vigorous. :lol-sign:

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi

If there is something going on then Zinga, IMO, is way louder than Frodo!

Frodo is a silent worker, from what I've seen of Zinga, she uses those lungs when she's frustrated. Frodo will woof, but Zinga barks!

Cardi4851

Chekhov alert barks, but only when there is someone at the door/ really loud noises. He also barks at me when he gets bored in agility or I make a mistake. He whines a lot and is generally demanding when he wants something. He has also started to alert to my seizures by whining and jumping on my lap, which is unfortunately what he does when he has to go out. We are working on differentiating them. When he is playing or wrestling he sounds like a wookie. ::p

Taqroy

Frodo is a silent worker, from what I've seen of Zinga, she uses those lungs when she's frustrated. Frodo will woof, but Zinga barks!
Hmmm. Tipper barks. I usually don't put up our shaping sessions where she gets really frustrated (not because I'm embarrassed but because I care about you guys and your hearing) but as soon as she decides she's done it's BARKBARKBARKBARK GIVEMEATREAT BARKBARK IDON'TKNOWWHATYOUWANT BARK IFORGOTWHYI'MBARKING BARKBARKBARKBARKBARK

xpaeanx

Frodo alert barks and in general makes a lot of noise. Lots of rooing, grunting, wuffling, all kinds of sounds.
This is Muffin. He only takes out his big boy bark when he needs to alert me to something. Otherwise he makes all kinds of funny sounds.... Which I can't help make back. We go "arrooooooroooroooo" at each other all morning. I'm glad no one is around to see that. They might think I'm crazy. LOL.

Well...
there's this barking while playing (MUST bark while playing)-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrh5PHtlEkw

Barking at people and vehicles out the window (because if you can't be part of it, bark at it)-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEQ3SxMjiFc

Howling with coyotes-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9s8uafRyaA

Frustrated-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNgzeBU0l8I

And this, that he does with other dog at the vets office too-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8GVveX0dus

...nope, not a noisy breed at all! *cough* okay yeah, really should have just gotten him a tag that says "LOUD" on it. But pretty much, every time someone goes out the door, let the barking fest start, cat goes by the window, Mo starts screaming, activity in general, playing, and if he's not barking he's grrrr-ing, or "AROOOOO"ing.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
There's a reason why Revy's full name is "REVY SHUT UP" - because that's what we say. All the time.

She barks when she's happy, she barks when she's excited, she barks when she's frustrated.... she just BARKS. She also yodels, baroos, grunts, warbles, and makes this awful squawking sound that sounds like a dying blackbird. The only time she's quiet is when she's asleep or in a crate.

Oh, you woke up? HELLO BARKBARKBARK SO GLAD TO SEE YOU!

You're going downstairs? Are you going to close the door? BARKBARKBARKBARK YOU CLOSED THE DOOR BARKBARK!

You're getting up from the sofa? That's nice, BARKBARKBARK!

Welcome home! BARKBARKBARKBARK now feed me and also I have to pee! BARK!

SaraB

Zinga barks when frustrated or excited. She doesn't alert bark or bark for no reason.

Comparing her to the two corgis (one cardi, one pembroke) my boss owns, she barks FAR less. Those corgis bark at everything, to be let outside, to get a treat, to go home, at the ups guy, at me (even though I've known them both all their lives). Zinga also barks less than the corgis I see running agility.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I have a corgi at work that I threaten daily to manually debark.

She also sounds wicked aggressive in play, it sets my teeth on edge.

Backup is a noisey worker and sometimes barks for no reason other than joy, BARK I came down the stairs! Hello world! but over all it doesn't bother me as much as Gracie's barking, I can't pin point it but her bark sounds more... Angry?

FTR, I really like her as a dog, I just wish I owned stock in ear plugs.

She also sounds wicked aggressive in play, it sets my teeth on edge.
LOL! Actually, it drives Enda crazy, he constantly makes noises that sound mean/aggressive/like-growls, but they aren't, it's just the sound he makes, but it always put her on edge as the official "meany police" in the house. Well, that's Vs him, the "fun police", heaven forbid Noodle and Enda want to play, making little play noise, then "BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK!", usually we end up shutting him behind the dog gate, where he continues to bark while they play.

Members online