Is it polite to microwave fish at work?

Is it polite to microwave fish at work?

• Yes, I love the strong smell of fish and I think everyone agrees!

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Yes, if I want fish for lunch, my coworkers will just have to deal with it!

Votes: 21 40.4%
  • No, you should not microwave fish at work- it's unfair for other coworkers to have to smell it

Votes: 25 48.1%
  • Baked salmon and asparagus

Votes: 5 9.6%

• Total voters

Grab

My aversion to fishy foods is so strong that the very thought of fish makes my mouth do that pre-puke watery thing. Bleh.

So no, no, no.

I have the worst time getting Clive to eat meat (or anything proteiny...if he could live on fruits and veggies, we'd be golden), but I refuse to try the tuna everyone suggests as I'm pretty sure if my cute, huggy little kid latched onto me smelling like fish I'd gag.

Toller_08

I can't imagine anyone liking microwaved fish. Yuck. I don't really care what people eat at work, but I think it's polite to try and bring things that are as least stinky as possible. I don't even work with co-workers, but I do have customers and I try not to bring lunches that'll have a lingering smell if it's something I need to warm up in the microwave.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I don't really care. Lol I hate the smell of fish but whatever. My coworkers always bring stinky foods, fish and otherwise.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I don't even bring tuna sandwiches or even overly garlicky things to work because i don't want to have an offensive smell lol.
Same here. Years and years ago when I worked in video editing, I brought a garlic pasta bowl to work because I was supposed to be the only one in the office that day. Stuck it in the microwave, stunk up the office, and I wasn't even done eating it before one of my co-workers showed up. He was a part-timer and had gotten the afternoon off his other job, so just decided to come in and get some work done. I felt SO BAD and kept apologizing for the food smell... X_X

The cologne is also a problem. One of my co-workers here wears a cologne that I swear is called "Eau du Old Man" with undertones of cat pee. And in the mornings it's so strong it's like he took a bath in it. If I accidentally inhale around him I gag. I've thought about saying something to my business manager about it, but I can't figure out how to phrase it... one of these days I probably will actually vomit when he walks by and that will resolve the issue. =P I know it says in our handbook stuff about proper grooming habits, so people can get a talking to if they smell like BO. I dunno if showering yourself in cologne falls in the same category. UGH.
The people who walk in reeking of cigarette smoke are bad too. ugh.

ACooper

The male managers at my work wear a lot of cologne. That's unfair to me. But if fish is all I have to eat for lunch, I'm eating it.
Oh dear, you've gotten me started! I truly believe there should be a RULE for those who don't have consideration on their own!

I can barely take it in public when I walk past someone (male/female) who smells like they swam in a pool of perfume/cologne! Especially CHEAP stuff *hack/cough/gag* Let alone work with/be forced into close proximity of them all day. I think I'd rather smell BO than overly perfumed.......not that I want either, but ya know, LOL

I'm fairly smell sensitive. Cologne on men is a problem for me for reasons not related to vomitus. But still, it does illustrate how there is more to the smell issue than fish. ;)

BostonBanker

Cologne is bad. Fish is worse. Those who smell like cigarettes should be left outdoors.

I can not stand strong odors of most kinds. Someone went and bought nice Bath and Body Works soap for the bathroom at work, and I wanted to hose down everyone who came out of the bathroom reeking of coconuts. It is not natural. I do not believe that you actually smell like that. Stop it.

I voted a strong NO, because if I go to microwave something after your fish it could become contaminated and make me deathly ill. Please respect those with allergies, thank you.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Oh dear, you've gotten me started! I truly believe there should be a RULE for those who don't have consideration on their own!

I can barely take it in public when I walk past someone (male/female) who smells like they swam in a pool of perfume/cologne! Especially CHEAP stuff *hack/cough/gag* Let alone work with/be forced into close proximity of them all day. I think I'd rather smell BO than overly perfumed.......not that I want either, but ya know, LOL
I'm allergic to perfumes. Like, dangerously allergic. My workplace has a rule that says it's a scent-free establishment, in terms of perfumes. People get offended when I kick them out/refuse service for smelling like they swam in cologne/perfume, because no other bartender will bother.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I voted a strong NO, because if I go to microwave something after your fish it could become contaminated and make me deathly ill. Please respect those with allergies, thank you.
and the thing that you are microwaving could make somebody else deathly ill.

ETA: I never understand that argument :p I don't use the microwave at work, because I don't know what other people have microwaved and I'd rather not get sick. If they're going to start not allowing one item to be microwaved due to allergies, they'd have to basically make it so that nothing can be microwaved due to allergies

BostonBanker

ETA: I never understand that argument I don't use the microwave at work, because I don't know what other people have microwaved and I'd rather not get sick. If they're going to start not allowing one item to be microwaved due to allergies, they'd have to basically make it so that nothing can be microwaved due to allergies
I think what is important is for everyone in that particular company to be aware of any dangerous allergies coworkers may have. I know we have one person with a peanut allergy who has taken the time to speak up at company meetings about what is and isn't an issue for her. I absolutely would consider it inconsiderate if someone chose to do that when the knowledge is out there that it could make someone quite sick.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I work with a smoker and that bothersome waaaay more than fish. I hide when she comes off breaks.

My other smoker coworkers don't smell but she REEKS of smoke. Nasty. I want to know what the others do that she doesn't. I never see them with gum or mints...

and the thing that you are microwaving could make somebody else deathly ill.

ETA: I never understand that argument :p I don't use the microwave at work, because I don't know what other people have microwaved and I'd rather not get sick. If they're going to start not allowing one item to be microwaved due to allergies, they'd have to basically make it so that nothing can be microwaved due to allergies
People like you knock it, because you usually don't have to live with it, it is much different when you do. This is why schools went on a "ban peanuts" rage, to which in fact I have a neighbor who has a child allergic to peanuts, so I don't buy peanut contaminated products for Halloween candy, I'm very considerate. And to add, no, actually I don't even know why I bothered to answer this question as I don't even work in a public environment for this very reason, fish isn't my only allergy.

yoko

I'm pretty sensitive to smells. I don't mind most lotions or perfumes unless they are flowery. Flowery smells just make me feel like my throat is closing up.

For food I actually like foods that have kind of a garlic smell. I know one lady always has some sort of amazing smelling pasta. That being said fish smell is a totally different smell. It makes me gag and there has been a couple times I vomited from it. The thing is most people *myself included* that like eating fish don't like the smell of it reheated. It kind of grosses me out that people reheat fish. That's always just been one of those things for me where if you didn't eat it at the first dinner it was served at you don't eat it.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
People like you knock it, because you usually don't have to live with it, it is much different when you do. This is why schools went on a "ban peanuts" rage, to which in fact I have a neighbor who has a child allergic to peanuts, so I don't buy peanut contaminated products for Halloween candy, I'm very considerate. And to add, no, actually I don't even know why I bothered to answer this question as I don't even work in a public environment for this very reason, fish isn't my only allergy.
I... don't have to live with it? Reading comprehension? I'm 100% sure that I said that what you microwave could make me sick. It's as easy as making sure that I don't use the microwave after anybody. Simple as that.

Look, right here:

I don't use the microwave at work, because I don't know what other people have microwaved and I'd rather not get sick.
ETA: I'm pretty much guarenteed to be allergic to anything that somebody makes in the microwave, unless they have literally made it from scratch. Everything from scratch. Down to the noodles or the broth. But of course, I don't know what it's like, cause I don't have to live with it.

Members online

No members online now.