What breeds would you never own?

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Honestly? I used to say scent hounds were completely off my list, and now I have a hound mix.

There are some dogs I would avoid as they don't suit my lifestyle (super active, high drive dogs), and those I tend not to prefer as they're just so common (labs, goldens etc.) but I've also learned NEVER say never ;)

Tortilla

Blonde Raccoon
Generally I wouldn't come home with a conformation Border Collie. Not my cup of tea.
Oh definitely. How could I forget that one?

I'd love to get a Border Collie one day, when suitable living arrangements allow me to do so. I'm going working lines all the way. ;)

ufimych

In my list of least wanted breeds are all dogs heavily dependent on veterinary care and too sensitive to climate and weatehr conditionas: English Bulldog, Chinese Pug, all hairless breeds and those groomers delights like the Afghan Hound (show dogs) and other breeds, which are hard on scissors. My favorite breeds are so-called primitive aboriginal breeds; the Saluki and Laikas are among them.

ttwillow

The older I get the smaller my dogs get. Started off with a Great Dane..then Aussy...then BT. Now I have 3 that are under 10# and one that is 18#. I see a difference just in those few pounds.

So anyone thats under 10#. Is not DA, DR or yippy.

not a breed.

wolfdogs.

I have three of them in my yard as a favor to a recently deceased family friend. After this, no more. Ever.

hopefully I won't have them long and can find them a good place to be. The Pit Girls hate them and I trust my dogs.

Wolfdogs are trouble.

GoingNowhere

I wouldn't want a shiba inu. I used to love them, but after having had a few come in through boarding that put a bad taste in my mouth, I can't say I'd ever want the breed anymore. One acts the way a shiba should - catlike, and very independent thinker, but it's just not my type of dog. The other is just a spaz with no personal hygiene. So even a well behaved, typical shiba wouldn't be the dog for me.

shelties, and other really barky dogs

Jrts. Way too much terrierness.

Nothing so tiny it's breakable:
chis and little breeds (under 12-15 or so lbs)

Wouldn't want a dog with a wolfy personality:
primitive breeds

Wouldn't want a dog with a coat that needs extreme maintenance - longish coats are fine... but no cords (komondor, etc) or full length Lhasa type coats.

I wouldn't want a dog that is notoriously hard to housebreak:
IGs

No dogs that aren't going to accept a friendly stranger in the home without protest when introduced.
Fila, Waayyy too much dog.
Also leaning against other naturally dominant home guardian breeds.

Wow, what a long list. Of that list, the only breed that I dont want just because it doesn't appeal to me at all is the shiba. Others are just because of breed characteristics, but if for some reason I found a dog without that breed characteristic, I may reconsider. For example, a quieter dog in one of the notoriously yappy breeds. Or a less territorial home guardian.

-GoingNowhere

Cheza

Anything that requires more than basic maintenance on a coat or is a big shedder... so no poodles, long-haired breeds, corded breeds, most shepherds and retrievers. Probably not a hound just because of the bark, though they are beautiful dogs. None of the herders, they're too high energy for me.

Boemy

Pit bulls, akitas, and any breed with a high instance of dog aggression. Dog aggression is something I hope I never have to deal with.

JRTs, greyhounds, whippets, huskies, daschunds, and any breed with a high instance of prey drive (with regards to small animals.)

Italian greyhounds and anything else notoriously hard to housebreak. At one point I was considering them because they're the one sighthound small enough not to be a threat to my kitties. Then I went to a breeder's website (a responsible breeder) and read, "Some IGs are never housetrained, no matter how much you work with them." BZZZT.

Pekingese, shih tzus, Old English bulldogs, and anything else with a flat face.

Chihuahuas and most other toy dogs.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
I find that my choices may change as my life changes. I pretty much am intrigued by all breeds--but know that any dogs entering into this house are looked at as individuals, not necessarily breeds (if that makes any sense!)

Having said that--I dont' see myself with JRT, schnauzer, bully breeds, or overly large (mastiff size) breeds--all for different reasons.

xpaeanx

This is as a general, bc individual dogs always vary

Any toy breed->not a fan of small dogs.

Bully breed or Mastiffey type dogs(with the exception of rotties and Danes(some people count them as a "Mastiffey type dog"... I don't but just making sure!))-> They tend to not know their own strength(and they have a lot of it), and I just don't find them pleasing to look at.

Chows-> I just don't like chows

any breed with corded hair-> grooming in terms of going to the groomer once a month and brushing regularly is ok with me. I don't even mind shedding. I would have no idea what to do with cords!

Terriers-> TOO much energy.

and any other breed with high DA-> I'm around way too many dogs on a regular basis. My lifestyle just doen'st work with that, and I would hate to have to leave my dog at home because he can't play nice with the other kids.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Dobermans.....honestly you couldn't pay me to take one...Lol don't kill me its just an opinion.

Really thats it. I am pretty open to all other breeds.

Ilyena

Doberman, Rottweiler, Afghan, Borzoi, Irish Wolfhound as well as any breed that has a wrinkly face that look like they ran into a door at high speed. Don't particularly care much for drooly breeds either.

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
i would never own a:
australian cattle dog - if i never hear that bark again it'll be too soon
chocolate lab - psychotic
german shepherd - really biased against since my parents' neighbors have five
beagle - yes i am aware i have two beagle mixes
pomeranian - yip yip yip bite yip
chihuahua - they're just ugly
hairless dog - they are gross to touch
husky or malamute - they need more than i could give them
italian greyhound - too nervous for my tastes

hmm there's more... breeds subject to high DA are also off the list. Anything that needs a home, of course, well, i'm a sucker. But if I get to pick and choose, those are the ones I would never own (and in some cases, never own again!)

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
Doberman, Rottweiler, Afghan, Borzoi, Irish Wolfhound as well as any breed that has a wrinkly face that look like they ran into a door at high speed. Don't particularly care much for drooly breeds either.
geez you named every dog i WANT to own! :rofl1:

Toller_08

I couldn't live with a "squished face" breed. The snorting and snuffling bothers me too much, and I'd constantly be worried about their health.

Boxers, definitley not. They're too energetic for me. And yes, I have high energy breeds, but Boxer energy is just... different. At least the ones I've been around.

German Shepherds. I think they're beautiful to look at, but temperament wise they don't suit me in the slightest.

Most giant breeds. I'm not a big fan of the short lifespan... I've lost enough dogs at a young age as it is, never mind owning one who is supposed to go early. The health problems that plague most of them also scare me a lot. That being said, life-style permitting, I'd absolutely love a Leo someday...

Most of the sporting group I couldn't live with either. I adore Tollers, but they're not like other retrievers. I don't enjoy overly happy dogs who are always sort of in your face. I like a bit of seriousness along with happy, lol. And that's something that most sporting breeds I've met don't seem to have. I do really like Vizslas though, and would definitely consider one someday... Weims are nice too, as are GSPs.

I wouldn't have any terriers either. Too 'feisty' for me, and I'm not a fan of the possibility that they very well could be dog aggressive. And being that I like a multi-dog home, I think having to separate dogs constantly would be too hard on me.

Well, now that I've listed all of those, I should have just said that with a few exceptions, I wouldn't seek out anything that wasn't a Toller, a Doberman, or in the herding group.

noodlerubyallie

Sprayin' the spiders
And the most common so far..... LABS??

I'll give it to you guys, they are way too common. Their health can be as issue since they are so common, but NEVER owning one? You guys have to meet Allie, LOL.
(BTW, I never wanted one either....same reasons. And we all know how that story ends.....she's mommy's baby :))

Sibes I can understand. I need no explanation. BUT, somehow I ended up with one that is manageable and a (somewhat) joy to live with.

(BTW, once again, I never wanted one either.....I didn't want an independent thinking, shedding, prey driven, yard digging, fence jumping, overbearing dog either......But she's my other pride and joy :)

Dachshunds were always high on my list. I am a very clumsy person, so little dogs aren't generally safe in my house. And the yapping, housebreaking....

(My lovely husband just HAD to have one. She is definately Daddy's little girl.)

BUT, since I HAVE my actual NEVER to OWN list in my own home, here are my other choices,

Any dog, no matter the breed, that has more hair than Ruby. Any dog that is DA, HA.
Technically, I don't have a never to own BREED list. I just look for temperaments that mesh well with my training style, lifestyle, my other dogs and my husband (UGH.)

Giny

I'm truly a poodle snob... :p

Unlike a lot of people who have this breed as one of the ones they would never own, to me I can't think of any other breeds like them. Although I like many breeds I don't think I'll have anything but a poodle in my life. I should never say never, if another breed, or I should say dog because they truly are all individuals, happen to fall in my lap in the future I could see myself being tempted if they were the perfect match for me no matter what breed, or mix.

Members online

No members online now.