Help Me!!! ASAP

DogLover4

Okay just last sunday I adopted a coonhound from my local shelter. She is about 2 years old. Her previous owner I was told was very neglectful, and only used her for breeding. She had been at the shelter on 4 different occasions.

However she is timid but, she is very sweet and gentle. She loves people and dogs, and she shows no signs of aggression.

But here is the issue: SHE WON'T PEE OR POO

I'm going crazy here. Somedays she won't go for like 24 hours. It's ridiculous. The only time she'll go is if I walk her around the nieghborhood. But I can't keep walking her everytime she has to go to the bathroom.

What should I do.

For some dogs, especially if she is nervous, it can take them a while to become comfortable enough to go to the bathroom. When I first got Mike I had him for 3 days before he would pee. He refused to poop and at night on the third day I heard one small cry and then he exploded in his crate. Then he held it for three days and exploded in his crate again. After that he began to potty every other day, and then got onto a regular schedule after about 3 weeks of living with me. But even then it took him a couple of months before he would pee anywhere but my yard, and if we went away for a weekend he wouldn't potty at all.

The longer I had him the more this insecurity seemed to slip away. For now be patient. I would give her canned pumpkin in her meals to help ease things along.

DogLover4

See Roxy can go to the bathroom. But she just doesn't want to go in the backyard I have to take her on for a walk so she'll go. Its ridiculous.

DoggyDaze

Formerly DoglessInSeattle
See Roxy can go to the bathroom. But she just doesn't want to go in the backyard I have to take her on for a walk so she'll go. Its ridiculous.
CeCe was pretty much this way too. I'm prepping her for a few minutes before I take her out now, "Potty girl, Potty?" When I take her out she goes pretty quickly. Now I'm doing the prep routine and letting her out into the back yard and she goes right away. Of course she won't move to where she cannot see me.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Why is that ridiculous? You should be taking her for a walk regardless of whether or not you have a back yard. She needs exercise and most dogs aren't very good about self-exercising. This is also a chance for her to get out and see the world and maybe start to come out of her timid shell a little bit.

You could also try picking up some of the poop from a walk and putting that in the backyard for her as sort of a starter cue. But she really should be getting walked daily anyway.

DogLover4

Ya she does get walked daily, Twice a day actually. But i'm just saying I'm not walking her 5 or 6 times a day so she can finally poo on some guys lawn.

But I'll try putting her poo out in the yard so she can maybe pick up on that.

fillyone

But please, call me Barb
Why is that ridiculous? You should be taking her for a walk regardless of whether or not you have a back yard. She needs exercise and most dogs aren't very good about self-exercising. This is also a chance for her to get out and see the world and maybe start to come out of her timid shell a little bit.

You could also try picking up some of the poop from a walk and putting that in the backyard for her as sort of a starter cue. But she really should be getting walked daily anyway.
I think every dog needs to be able to eliminate in their back yard.

I had surgery a couple of years ago and for a week would not have been able to take Dante for a walk, but I could sit in a chair in the back yard and throw the ball for him.

For that matter, Dante doesn't go for a walk every day, strike me down I'm a horrible dog owner. He does however get a lot of training time, play time and with me time...most of it's just not spent walking around the neighborhood.

fillyone

But please, call me Barb
Ya she does get walked daily, Twice a day actually. But i'm just saying I'm not walking her 5 or 6 times a day so she can finally poo on some guys lawn.

But I'll try putting her poo out in the yard so she can maybe pick up on that.
Does she fetch? Is your yard fenced?
99% of the time Dante doesn't poop until he's moved a bit so for your girl it may also be she just needs to get in some movement first.

Also if she is pooping 5 or 6 times a day, you need to look at her diet!!
:)

yoko

when i first got yoshi i'd just make her walk around the back yard and then she'd go. when she'd get active she'd go real fast then continue playing

DogLover4

Ya i don't know what it is. She also sits infront of the front door alot. So I don't know what she's trying to tell me. Any advice?

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
I also have a coonhound. He also will not go in the yard. If he isn't at least 500 yards from our house, he won't poop. He clearly thinks going that close to our house is disgusting, since he seems perturbed that Mini does poop in the yard.

Nothing has changed this, and i have tried every method known to man for 11 months. This same dog washes himself like a cat and is just very fastidious, so I think it's all part of the same thing, he wants to be clean and doesn't want to soil where he lives.

On the plus side, he IS very clean, and he never, ever has accidents in the house. Also he has a very regular schedule, so it's just a matter of getting him out to a place he likes every morning at the same time.

Uncle Fred is an odd duck, but we love him very much. i hope you and your coonhound can come to an agreement that works for you too.

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
I should also tell you that my young Coonhound seems to need about 2-3 hours of good, hard exercize a day. I take him to a dog park and run him next to a bike. They have that big, long striding trot and are designed to go long distances through the woods every night. They are worth it- and I am in much better shape now!

Uncle Fred is a Treeing Walker. What kind of coonhound do you have?

I think every dog needs to be able to eliminate in their back yard.

I had surgery a couple of years ago and for a week would not have been able to take Dante for a walk, but I could sit in a chair in the back yard and throw the ball for him.

For that matter, Dante doesn't go for a walk every day, strike me down I'm a horrible dog owner. He does however get a lot of training time, play time and with me time...most of it's just not spent walking around the neighborhood.
Yes, if you get a dog that requires more exercise and you don't provide it then yes you are not the best dog owner.
I did not get a large dog with higher exercise needs for this very reason, not because higher energy dogs are not beautiful, but because I set a realistic expectation and stuck with it.

Thankfully this was just a misunderstanding and the dog is being walked, I do understand not wanting to walk the dog 5+ times a day to get them to go to the bathroom.

The idea of putting his poo in the backyard is good, also getting another dog to "mark" your backyard might help, or one of those pee poles.

DogLover4

I should also tell you that my young Coonhound seems to need about 2-3 hours of good, hard exercize a day. I take him to a dog park and run him next to a bike. They have that big, long striding trot and are designed to go long distances through the woods every night. They are worth it- and I am in much better shape now!

Uncle Fred is a Treeing Walker. What kind of coonhound do you have?
She's a redboned coon hound. And she's just gorgeous. I really love her. But i'm just concered about her bathroom issues. Like I don't want her to get sick because she sometimes doesn't go pee or poo for 24 hours.

fillyone

But please, call me Barb
Yes, if you get a dog that requires more exercise and you don't provide it then yes you are not the best dog owner.
I did not get a large dog with higher exercise needs for this very reason, not because higher energy dogs are not beautiful, but because I set a realistic expectation and stuck with it.
Actually if you have a dog with high energy walks aren't going to do it.
I could walk Dante 5 times a day and it wouldn't be enough exercise, now if I was a jogger, perhaps.

However training time tires a dog out quite well if done correctly and of course there's that play time.

Members online

No members online now.