Butt scooting

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
In the past week or so my mom and I have noticed that Molly scoots her butt on the ground quite a bit. We've never noticed her doing it in the house, and she really never leaves our sight, so we've only seen her do it outside.

The first thing my mom and my neighbor thought was worms...and if anyone remembers, Lucy had hookworms back in May so that's entirely possible. I think I might have read somewhere that it can also be a sign of her anal glands being full...in the 9 years that we've had her that's never been a problem but hey I guess anything is possible.

Just want some other thoughts on this...my mom will be calling the vet, we need to make an appt. for Lucy's shots anyway.

L

LabBreeder

Personally, those are the only 2 things I can think of that make a dog scoot. Hookworms and anal glands. Other than those 2 I have no clue.

sparky

12 and still strong
I agree with the 3 possibilities, my dog was doing the same thing last August and we finally took her to the vet when we noticed an awful smell along with the scooting.

It turned out to be her anal glands and the vet found a tumor. I don't want you to think the worst, but it sure doesn't hurt to have it checked, let's hope for the itchy butt:)

I hope everything is ok.

texn

i've witnessed them as itchy ass, and also tapeworms. as the tapeworm segments break off, they will get excreted through the anus.. whcih tickles/irritates/whever the dog, so they will proceed to scoot. go get a stood sample or something to see if that might be the case. it's like $5 per pill to kill the worm, and normally 2-3 pills to do the trick. (can all be given at once)

Members online