Small breed suggestions requested

Hi everyone,
Well here is a question I have been pondering for some time now.
I live in South America where after several burglaries and burglary attempts I bought 2 Fila's which has so far equated to problem solved. Result to date Filas 2 Thieves 0. They both are indoor and outdoor dogs during the day but are put outside at 2:00 am until 08:00 am each morning when we go to sleep.
What I am looking for is a smaller dog that will be both an inside and outside dog during the day but will stay inside at night to be my inside "burglar alarm" as well as being a more manageable play mate for my four year old daughter.
The climate here is tropical with very high humidity so coat will be a factor and I am not a fan of toy dogs preferring terrier types.
My personal choice would have been a APBT but sadly my wife and her family will not accept my knowledge of the breed prefering to listen to irresponsible and inaccurate news reporting. (I get furious with frustration about this):mad:
Bull terrier was also a thought but I am a bit concerned about boistrousness with my daughter as well as stubbornness.
A staffie again would be perfect but my ignorant family would only see a APBT. (aaarrrrgggghhh):mad:
Jack Russel maybe a bit hyper and possibly nippy with my daughter as well as suicidal with the Filas.
Apart from that I have little knowledge of other breeds and so I ask for suggestions. Any ideas............

Zoom

Twin 2.0
A miniature schnazuer or a beagle spring to mind. Both short coated (especially if you keep the shnauzer clipped), both bark to alert and are decent with kids. Beagles do have a tendency to wander off though, so they need to be watched when outside.

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
Schnauzers are great companions, very smart, very protective. Good suggestion! That would be my first pick

Second pick is a Cocker Spaniel
I have had many cockers and despite what others may think they do make great indoor/outdoor pets if the coat is kept short. They also are good alert watch dogs. The plus side is they always look like a puppy. Of course they arent scarey looking but they sure can make you think twice.

There are my 2 suggestions

RD

Are you dead yet?
A Standard Schnauzer is a fantastic suggestion. I would personally stay away from Minis, simply because they do have a tendency to be a bit more snappy and generally don't mix as well with children. My mini girl was very sweet with us, but was very aggressive with our other dogs and snarky with the neighborhood children.

A Westie comes to mind too...

R

rottiegirl

Schnauzers sound like a great idea. So do cocker spaniels... I like the american kind.

Min pin might be to high drive and nippy.

How small a dog are you looking for? Compared to a Fila, a Doberman or even a Standard Poodle is a small dog ;)

Filas are notoriously tolerant of small dogs, so you really shouldn't have much to worry about there. But truthfully, I'd far rather have my Filas inside with me - or any kids - than a small dog. They're infinitely easier to deal with than most small dogs and they have an amazing ability to be gentle with small things like children.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
I dont think they would do well - basenji

at first i thought of jack russel terrier.

They can be taught to be non-nippy. It depends on the training they recieve!
And I have met MANY medium energy jacks.. its all in how you raise them :)

Members online