Alaskan Huskies and My Take-Off *Vid*

I went out to my buddy's place to take his dogs for a run as he is convinced he will convert me to Alaskan Huskies yet! LOL I took a 10-dog string out on his ATV which was a blast!!!!! Didn't get any pictures at all but I did get pictures of him taking a 14-dog string out on the ATV!!!

As fun as the Alaskans are, I'm smitten with my Siberian Huskies :) The two people watching are from Brazil. The girl is my cousin and the guy is her boyfriend. They haven't quite come to terms with the cold yet LOL

Tahla9999

I'm very curious! Can I ask you why Siberian huskies and not Alaskan? Why not just have both like a mixed team. It seems like people have either one or the other.

Tahla, mostly because Siberian mushers are die-hards wanting to keep the breed working. If you have any other breed on the team it is no longer classified as a purebred team and would be classed in the "open" category against the other mixed teams with Alaskan Huskies and Eurohounds and what not. A purebred team has to have all the dogs of the same breed and registered. Those who run Alaskans are out there to win. Siberians on average are a bit slower so to have them on the team would more than likely slow the whole team down.

You do see some people out there running both on one team but usually it is because they are in the process of converting their kennel. Usually the conversion is from Siberian Huskies to Alaskan Huskies because the musher developed a competitive edge and hungers for more speed! Also the keep of Siberian Huskies is different from Alaskan Huskies. Alaskan Huskies are harder to keep. They require more calories, most are impossible to keep weight on, they are active year round (Siberians tend to shut off for the summer because its too warm), and their shorter coats mean they cant stand up to the harsh winter as well.

Members online

No members online now.