Anybody heard of this breeder? (Lab)

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Morojes Labradors is the breeder name.

http://www.morojeslabradors.net/

I ask, because their son brought a few of their dogs in to work the other day. I thought the dogs were gorgeous, although the one I worked with was a bit of a dingle berry (didn't seem like she hadn't had much handling, though).

Anyways, I ask because the son introduced me and they offered me a pup from a future litter. Which I'm unsure if it will work out timing wise anyway, but I thought I'd see if anyone knew anything about them just in case.

MicksMom

I've never heard of them. After looking at their web site, a couple of thing came to mind- I didn't see any titles or clearances listed for any of their dogs. Also, their web site kind of reminded me of an infomercial- lots of words filling up space, but not really saying a lot. They discuss titles, but, again, I didn't see any listed for their dogs. I Googled a couple of their dog's names, and the only thing that came up was their web site. Usually I can find some kind of show record, etc with a Google search.

Lyzelle

Overall, their site doesn't put me off too much. They have some pictures of the dogs showing at least, even if the titles aren't actually listed. I see they showed 4H, state fair...but nothing actually worth mentioning. I can't find anything on health clearances. I think they are a breeder that might mean the best, but they are still way over their heads on the "responsible breeder" part of it. Big talk, still playing a small game, but proud and well meaning regardless.

It worries and concerns me more that they offered a puppy to a stranger. That doesn't exactly scream trustworthy or reputable. Nor does it speak well that it says in a few places that they let their customers choose the puppies themselves.

Meh, overall unimpressed and I'd pass, personally.

ETA: It says this on their services page:

Breeders - Roland and Jennie Morehouse
Home of Am/Can Champion Eloyd's Real McCoy
Breeders/Handlers/Raisers of Quality AKC Labradors for over 30 years.
Stud Service Available to approved bitches.
Puppies available; deposits accepted, and encouraged.
Adult dogs available for placement in loving homes.
OFA hips and elbows, CERF eyes on all adult dogs
Meh, I think I'd still pass.

noludoru

Bored Now.
I've never heard of them. After looking at their web site, a couple of thing came to mind- I didn't see any titles or clearances listed for any of their dogs. Also, their web site kind of reminded me of an infomercial- lots of words filling up space, but not really saying a lot. They discuss titles, but, again, I didn't see any listed for their dogs. I Googled a couple of their dog's names, and the only thing that came up was their web site. Usually I can find some kind of show record, etc with a Google search.
The pictures of their dogs are of labs without a uniform head shape who are 10-25lbs overweight and out of shape. The "show" pictures show relatively uniform Labs in good condition. I am a bit suspicious.

There is nothing on their website that would make me want more information about their dogs, jmo. Like was already mentioned not a thing was said about health clearances, not a single championship OR working title listed. The few pictures of their dogs being shown are dated, some very very dated. But what really turned me off was this:
'Patoka's Grand Teddy, won Best of Breed at Westminster Dog Show in 2000'

Reputable breeders don't brag about the grand sire/dams bob wins, IMO, especially when they haven't titles on their own dogs, it's like a byb talking about the 4 champions in the 5 generation pedigree, it really amounts to squat when it comes to your pup.

FG167

I was very into Labs for about 5 years. I went out to breed events and researched and contacted breeders like crazy...I am from MI and I never heard of this breeder. Not to say that I couldn't forget, but I didn't recognize their website or any of their dogs' names. They are not breeding with the lines I recognize - from AKC show, UKC show, or field lines.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Can't tell much except the pictures all look over 10 years old. I was trying to make the dates out on the show pics, and they all looked 19 something.

Why not ask them directly?

milos_mommy

It worries and concerns me more that they offered a puppy to a stranger. That doesn't exactly scream trustworthy or reputable. Nor does it speak well that it says in a few places that they let their customers choose .
I didn't check the site (on my phone) but I wanted to say that, off the bat, it doesn't necessarily worry me that they offered a puppy to someone who works professionally with dogs at a kennel they're comfortable leaving their dogs. And I don't find it very unlikely that the OP mentioned she's been looking for a lab breeder for a while now - she could have asked where they got their dogs...

MicksMom

...It worries and concerns me more that they offered a puppy to a stranger. That doesn't exactly scream trustworthy or reputable...

I didn't check the site (on my phone) but I wanted to say that, off the bat, it doesn't necessarily worry me that they offered a puppy to someone who works professionally with dogs at a kennel they're comfortable leaving their dogs. And I don't find it very unlikely that the OP mentioned she's been looking for a lab breeder for a while now - she could have asked where they got their dogs...
That was my thoughts, too. It wasn't like they just walked up to her on the street and offered her a pup.

SpringerLover

Honestly? None of their current dogs are listed anywhere on the OFA website. I brought up their kennel name and not a single current dog is listed.

In addition to the photos they do have being very outdated... they brag about 4-H events. That is no standard of which to breed by!

YodelDogs

The pictures of their dogs are of labs without a uniform head shape who are 10-25lbs overweight and out of shape. The "show" pictures show relatively uniform Labs in good condition. I am a bit suspicious.

Actually, their dogs are underweight for the AKC show ring. Today's show Labs are seriously obese and their dogs are better conditioned. That right there is enough for them to do poorly at AKC shows. (To be honest, I prefer the more moderate type on this site than the dogs in the show ring.)

This is what a typical AKC Lab champion looks like.

I did a search on OFA and they do have a lot of dogs in the database. (I could not check individual dogs because the site kept freezing up.) They do a lot of health testing even though details are not on their website.

The AKC site was not working right so I could only check a few of their dogs. A couple of those I checked had been shown and others had not. They have a few photos of their dogs hunting and TDI on their site though.

If I was looking for a pet and not a show dog then I would give them a call. If they lived close enough then I would visit them. If I liked what I saw then I would keep in touch until I was ready for a puppy.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Yes, they didn't just offer me a pup. I was speaking with the son at work and he put me in touch with them. I chatted with them briefly a few months ago and I didn't really get any giant red flags from them. They did mention that their website needs updated, as they haven't kept up with it for the past few years (nor have they been actively breeding for the past few years). Which could be why the photos and such seem to be outdated.

I was very into Labs for about 5 years. I went out to breed events and researched and contacted breeders like crazy...I am from MI and I never heard of this breeder. Not to say that I couldn't forget, but I didn't recognize their website or any of their dogs' names. They are not breeding with the lines I recognize - from AKC show, UKC show, or field lines.
This was my main interest in asking. So thank you for that information!

I likely will pass on a pup, but I'm not entirely crossing it off my list. I want to do some more investigating first, and go out to meet them and their dogs. Either way, it may not be possible for me to have a puppy at the time this breeding will be ready. I won't know that for a few weeks yet.

Members online

No members online now.