Dog from Hurricane Katrina what breed?

L

LabBreeder

Part pit, IMO. Have the owners come forward about him yet? Or was he lost for good and you got to adopt/rescue him?

He looks to me like he could be at least part Basenji . . .

http://www.basenji.org/?q=node/6

What kinds of sounds does he make? He has enough of the look that he could be full.
I agree he is definitely part basenji. Does he bark? My guess is basenji/boxer or basenji/pit depending on the picture and angle you look at him from. Sorry Renee, He's not full basenji. Basenji's ears are naturally up, never down and not half that big. That's where boxer comes in for me. Pits ears aren't quite that big either I don't think. Hmmmm, could be all three. :)
Puss, I have a basenji if you want to PM me with any questions. Or, you can click B.R.A.T. on my sig for a wealth of information and possibly pictures of other dogs (in the mix section) that loook like Puss (not you of course:)). For example, http://www.basenjirescue.org//DOGS-MIXES/OK/OK-Gypsy.asp

Last edited:

puss

I agree he is definitely part basenji. Does he bark? My guess is basenji/boxer or basenji/pit depending on the picture and angle you look at him from. Sorry Renee, He's not full basenji. Basenji's ears are naturally up, never down and not half that big. That's where boxer comes in for me. Pits ears aren't quite that big either I don't think. Hmmmm, could be all three. :)
Puss, I have a basenji if you want to PM me with any questions. Or, you can click B.R.A.T. on my sig for a wealth of information and possibly pictures of other dogs (in the mix section) that loook like Puss (not you of course:)). For example, http://www.basenjirescue.org//DOGS-MIXES/OK/OK-Gypsy.asp
Yes he barks alot really deep and then loud chirps, but it's all show when you get near him even if your a stranger he'll want to play and jump on you. He can jump about 4-5ft in the air. Hes EXTREMELY vengeful if you slap his ear he'll turn around and jump on you for at least 5 minutes. Even if he's playing or doing something else and you touch him he doesn't forget to get you back. He's very fast it's like he floats and if he's mad he rams against the fence to get to the front yard and breaks it all the time I guess it doesn't hurt him. Fun dog

Yes he barks alot really deep and then loud chirps, but it's all show when you get near him even if your a stranger he'll want to play and jump on you. He can jump about 4-5ft in the air. Hes EXTREMELY vengeful if you slap his ear he'll turn around and jump on you for at least 5 minutes. Even if he's playing or doing something else and you touch him he doesn't forget to get you back. He's very fast it's like he floats and if he's mad he rams against the fence to get to the front yard and breaks it all the time I guess it doesn't hurt him. Fun dog
Everything you've described outside of the barking are all basenji traits. Does he trot?
He is quite hansom btw. :)

I agree with the basenji/pit bull mix. He's too large to be all basenji, but the coloring and the tail is perfect. He has the pit bull size and musculature, and especially those jaw muscles that you see when he's "smiling"

Cute dog.

puss

I've been looking at basenji's and what not. And although the dog's colors and tail look like a basenji his mouth is way wider then the basenji's. And his muscles are huge on his front and rear legs. I wish he wasn't so disobedient though I have to read up on training him he takes everything and scatters it. gloves mops sticks buckets he's crazy

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Yes, I'd say pit/basenji, too. Yes, he has basenji characteristics but his width and muscle he has like you said is pit-like. I think he has pretty even characteristics of both breeds.

I've been looking at basenji's and what not. And although the dog's colors and tail look like a basenji his mouth is way wider then the basenji's. And his muscles are huge on his front and rear legs. I wish he wasn't so disobedient though I have to read up on training him he takes everything and scatters it. gloves mops sticks buckets he's crazy
You must be patient and try to stay several (yes several) steps ahead of him. If you don't see him for a while, look for him or call him to you. Praise him when he's being good even if he's just laying there. Or even better, if he doesn't have a brother or sister, get him one. :)

Miakoda

Some sort of hound mix. He may have a touch of Basenji as the coat color & tail set are suspicious, but that's not a common breed in this area. However, since a "pit bull" is not a breed, but rather a generic term for several different & distinct breeds (the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Bulldog, & Bull Terrier), it would be hard to know. And many other breeds have similar musculoskeletal characteristics.

However, thanks for adopting him. He's a cutie.

I was going to say Pit/Collie due to the coloring and the longer-appearing coat. Both Pit Bulls and Basenjis have smooth coats. Or possibly Pit/Husky?

puss

Just to update the thread we gave the dog away to my dads co worker, unfortunately he said the dog attacked him and bit his arm so he turned him in to the humane society. I regret letting him go, I would of taken him back if the person we gave it to didn't want him. To late now though.

Members online

No members online now.