UPDATE on Brawt and his seizures

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
We saw the holistic vet yesterday regarding the seizures that Brawt has been having. I will sum it up with .... it was an experience but I think good things may come of this.

She (Dr. McNeill) is a very nice lady who seems very knowledge and shows concern and interest in what is going on with your pet. She is totally supportive of the raw diet and doing titers on everything but rabies.

Dr. McNeill said that the seizures he is having aren't of the typical pattern you see in epileptic dogs and she feels that he is having a reaction to something, but isn't exactly sure what it is.

Dr. McNeill said that he has a viral infection (his WBC was low in June and vet showed no concern) and most likely has had it for several months. Infections can cause seizures so she gave him some Immune booster to help his body fight the infection and a liquid to help get rid of the side effects from the vaccination (he got in June) because she also thinks he is having a small reaction from that as well. She also did some muscle testing on him and did a treatment of laser acupuncture on him. He was very anxious about being on the table and such but once she started the acupuncture he got so still and very calm.

I had never really thought about it until she put it all in a time line but his seizures have gotten worse (and more frequent) since June which is when his WBC was low and he got his vaccine.

He has to go back next week for a check up and another treatment of acupuncture if needed. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated -- thanks for all the support and positive thoughts.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
WOW! When Ares WBC was low, I was in a panic, my vet was worried. I can't imagine a vet not looking into such a thing.

Hopefully he'll feel better soon. It's typical for them to get more relaxed while having accupuncture. Mine go to sleep with the needles in them.

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
WOW! When Ares WBC was low, I was in a panic, my vet was worried. I can't imagine a vet not looking into such a thing.

Hopefully he'll feel better soon. It's typical for them to get more relaxed while having accupuncture. Mine go to sleep with the needles in them.
...and that is why we are no longer seeing him and have a new vet. :)

I asked how low it was and he said just a tad. So, I believed him because you should be able to trust your vet, right? I feel like such a horrible person now because I didn't push to find out an exact reading.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
I asked how low it was and he said just a tad. So, I believed him because you should be able to trust your vet, right? I feel like such a horrible person now because I didn't push to find out an exact reading.
Actually, I had to go look it up...Ares WBC was high. And it was really only a little high, but we were still very worried. My vet almost cried when she told me it was high. She didn't want to tell me what it could mean, just to wait and see. She was actually more worried than I was.

I'm sooooo glad you found a vet you like!! :D

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
ive actually grown to liek holistic vets more now, not nessicarily because of their "natural" aproach, but more so because of all the vets ive seen, tlaked to, heck, even worked with, ive found holistic vets to be the most likely to understand concerns and explain things a little clearer...not to mention its nice not to be told every visit that your dogs due for its vacinations because its been a year and they dont feel that titers are any good...

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
ive actually grown to liek holistic vets more now, not nessicarily because of their "natural" aproach, but more so because of all the vets ive seen, tlaked to, heck, even worked with, ive found holistic vets to be the most likely to understand concerns and explain things a little clearer...not to mention its nice not to be told every visit that your dogs due for its vacinations because its been a year and they dont feel that titers are any good...
I don't have anything against traditional vets -- heck until I came here I new nothing about raw, titers, etc. The ones that drive me nuts are the ones who refuse to let me treat/take care of my animals the way I choose. The vet that gave Nomi her vaccines (who was highly recommended) told me point blank that if I wasn't going to feed my dogs kibble and give them Sentinel that I should probably find a new vet. So, needless to say the feeling was mutual so we never returned. I'm so relieved to finally have a vet who listens, cares, and agrees with my approach.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I'm so glad you got some answers. My friend when to a holistic vet when her dog wasn't getting help from her regular vet and was glad.

Members online

No members online now.