belgian malinois and electric fence?

we just got a belgian malinois when he was ten weeks old and now he is thirteen weeks old. we have a 40x11 dog run but we also have a very large open property and alot of woods. we dont want to confine the dog just to the dog run when we dont want him to be on the leash. we hav heard some opinions about an electric fence not working for a belgian malinois because it has a strong drive and it wouldnt stop him, any suggestions or opinions as to getting an electric fence do u think it will be effective?

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Being a Belgian Tervuren owner - I personally would NOT trust an electric fence on a Belgian.

They have SUCH a strong prey drive, that if they dont have a solid "off" or "leave it" command.. your dog will run through it, then when the drive is gone but then wont be able to get back into the property..

Tim, my fiance, parents have a LARGE property and they have the underground wire for their dog and when we bring the Huskys - works GREAT for the huskys - but not so well with Riot.

you could try a run line with your Mal on a harness(NOT a collar). That might be an option.

Agreed, any dog with super strong drives (prey especially) will pass through an electric fence without even flinching.

Mal's are very intelligent. I would work on some intense obedience training and keep your pup on a longline for a long while. If you want your dog to be able to be outside unsupervised I would look into fencing a portion of your yard or building an outdoor kennel.

Members online

No members online now.