Puppy Acne

Cheza

Hey all,

Anyone have any specific info on puppy acne? We think Cheza is developing a case of it...

We went to a meetup where one of the dogs had it so bad that she was bleeding all over everyone... and now about a week later Cheza and her 'sister' Bailey are beginning to show signs of it. I didn't think it was contageous, but I can't think of any other reasons that both the puppies would be getting it at the same time.

I read that keeping the face dry after food/water, washing bowls with antibacterial stuff and feeding out of stainless bowls can help. I also read that adding a little apple cider vinegar to water can help because it's astringent.

Any other info/suggestions?
Thanks!

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
What are the current bowls you use? Most of the people I know that had doggie acne used plastic, and I've read it can harbor not nice stuff over the years. We used plastic for a really long time, and only switched to stainless 6 months of so ago.

Buckshot

Buckshot gets acne if I dont change his water, and wash his bowl at least a couple times a day. Since I started letting him drink from one of the toilets in the house, the problem went away. We have one toilet that is HIS. Its not that he is too proud to sneak a drink from the other on occasion, but it makes me feel better to have a flushing water bowl that people dont eliminate in.

Adolescent danes are notorious for acne..

Warm compresses are great for opening up the pores, then I always use witch hazel to clean the area. I've heard that tea tree oil works wonders, but I've always used benzoil peroxide cream (rubbed in very well) to actually treat the acne.

In stubborn cases, an antibiotic may need to be given to clear up any bacterial infection.

Cheza

we've always fed her out of stainless thank goodness. Thanks for the ideas! I think we even have some tea tree oil around the house somewhere...

Members online

No members online now.