This plant. What is it? Pup has been eating it for a while.

oriondw

user not active

Any idea what it is and if its good/bad for him?

He's been eating it since i can remember only now i got a picture.

He only eats young leeves and doesnt touch the old darker one's.

BagelDog

Not crazy...
If he's been eating it for a while and isnt dead, then its probably not bad for him. If he only eats the young leaves, he seems to know whats good for him and not, so I think your ok with it all. I dont know what kind of plant it is though.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Looks like the english ivy I used to grow back on Long Island. It's used as a ground covering.

I've never seen anything that quite matches it. Of course, what grows as a native plant in the places I've lived and what grows in your area aren't necessarily the same. Does it ever have any flowers or berries of any sort?

oriondw

user not active
Renee750il said:
I've never seen anything that quite matches it. Of course, what grows as a native plant in the places I've lived and what grows in your area aren't necessarily the same. Does it ever have any flowers or berries of any sort?

It has little dry spiked berries, little purple flowers very small.

bubbatd

Renee, I was sure you'd know.....it looked like the ivy family to me too....but berries & flowers gets me.....of course my thumb is aqua !

I've got several big plant encyclopedias at my house. I'll have to pull them out. Spiked berries are pretty unique. I'll have to go back and check your website, Dmitri, to get you located so I can narrow things down a bit.

oriondw

user not active
Renee750il said:
I've got several big plant encyclopedias at my house. I'll have to pull them out. Spiked berries are pretty unique. I'll have to go back and check your website, Dmitri, to get you located so I can narrow things down a bit.

Central Florida.

About 70% of my website just died because i deleted a wrong database =\

Stupid me :eek:

I thought it looked something like a berry vine too, we have wild raspberries growing in the back it's not quite like that, but similar. I know some of them can be toxic if they eat enough of it.

My rule for my dog is, if I won't chew on it, or put it in my mouth then she shouldn't either. You never know what it could do to them until it's too late........ I wouldn't allow him to continue to eat the plant until someone identifies it, and then still, most plants are toxic in some form or another if they eat enough of it.

Kate

I just saw "English Ivy" on the list of toxic plants referred by another post....don't let your dog eat it! (Even if you're not sure, don't let your dog eat plants other than grass.)
Kate

oriondw

user not active
I dont think its english ivy.

Leaf structure is different and english ivy has different berries/flowers.

Members online

No members online now.