Pet Chef Express - Good or Not?

L

LabBreeder

This is a locally (as far as I know) made dog food. No, soy, no artificial colors, no contracts (?), no meat by-products, omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids included. No extra charge for delivery. Here are the 3 I was looking at.
Canine Lamb Meal & Rice Diet - Ingredients: Lamb meal, brewers rice, rice flour, chicken meal, dried beet pulp, flax meal, chicken fat, tomato pomace, fish meal, natural chicken flavor flax seed meal, carrots, beets, parsley, lettuce, water cress, spinach, fish oil, kelp meal, salt, vegetable oil, biotin, niacin supplement, d-calcium, b12 supllement, thiamine mononitrate, bisulfate (source of vitamin K activity), citric acid, d3 supplement....etc, etc, etc. (If you think something is missing, ask me if it's included and I'll look through the rest of the list. I just don't want this to be to awfully long.)
crude protein - 25%
crude fat - 15%
crude fiber - 4%
moisture 10%

Canine Chicken Meal & Rice Diet - Ingredients: Chicken meal, brewers rice, chicken fat, oat meal, dried beet pulp, potato product, brewers dried yeast, flax seed meal, chicken, egg product, carrots, celery, beets, parsley, lettuce, water cress, spinach, lecithin, salt, fish oil...etc, etc (most of the same as the previous list plus what was left out until questions arise).
protein - 26%
fat - 15%
fiber - 4%
moisture - 10%

Canine Adult Low Fat Diet - Ingredients: Chicken meal, ground rice, wheat flour, potato product, oat meal, dried beet pulp, chicken fat, egg product, natural chicken flavor, brewers dried yeast, flax meal, calcium carbonate, salt, lecithin, L-Lysine, kelp meal, natural yucca shidigera extract...etc, etc.
protein - 19%
fat - 7%
fat - 9% (why 2? I don't know)
fiber - 4%
moisture - 10%

All contain glucosamine.

The first one costs $1.33/lb
The second - $1.06/lb
The last one - $1.06/lb

Supposedly, (with my 2 dogs roughly equaling 130 lbs total) I would need about 45-47 lbs of food per month. A 50 lb bag is around $53.

What do you all think??
Remember, there are other ingredients listed that I didn't add on here. It would have made this a very long first post and I figure I listed the most important ones (hopefully).

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I will do my best to scrutinize it for you! ;0)

1: Lamb meal = good! Lamb meal contains more actual meat than plain "Lamb", because the moisture has been removed.
2: Brewers rice = AAFCO: The small milled fragments of rice kernels that have been separated from the larger kernels of milled rice. So, not as good as whole rice.
3: Rice flour = Iffy. Two rice sources in the top 3 is not favorable.
4: Chicken meal = Good, again!
5: Dried beet pulp = Added for better digestion, not favorable, but it's ok.
6: Flax meal = Ok :)
7: Chicken fat = Ok
8: Tomato pomace = Not as good as whole tomatoes, basically parts of rejected tomato.
9: Fish meal = Ok
10: Natural chicken flavor = I do not like the addition of flavorings, IMO.
11: Flax seed meal = Good ingredient. I feed my boys flax or fish oil because it's great for the skin and coat.
12-17: Carrots, beets, parsley, lettuce, water cress, spinach = Good!
18: Fish oil = Very good for the coat.
19: Kelp meal = Good! I feed my dogs a Kelp supplement, it has great nutrients in it.
20: Salt = Usually used as a cheap flavoring, but this is so far down that it's not a big concern.

In general, this kibble is much better than what is available at grocery stores, and it is priced fairly. IMO, I would go for Canidae if it's available to you. If not, this kibble definitely sounds good! =)

You can grade it yourself, using the formula in this thread!

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Generic "fish meal" is something I'd recommend staying away from. More likely than not it's preserved with ethoxyquin.

As for the "natural flavor" thing, not a big deal as long as a specific source is named. It's basically a concentrated "soup stock" of the listed ingredient (here chicken) that is used to add more flavor to the kibble. Harmless and by far preferable to flavoring agents like "animal digest" and the like.

Looking at the ingredient composition I don't think it's worth the price, but there certainly are a lot worse foods out there.

L

LabBreeder

sammy - I was thinking about it. I'd like to try it eventually.

Mordy - So for the price it's not a great deal and the ingredients are so-so? It's better than the commercial foods like Purina, Ol Roy, etc right? It also says it's preserved with natural mixed tocopherols. (Whatever those are)

Mordy

Quigleyfied
It's definitely better than Ol' Roy and Purina, yes.

Mixed tocopherols is natural vitamin E.

L

LabBreeder

Well, I guess this is about the best we can get around here. The local meat market costs more than buying from a grocery store. They have better cuts of meat, but not what we need for us or the dogs. It's a package type deal basically. I can get exactly what we need, cheaper, at the grocery store.

I'll call these people and see about the "free sample" and probably switch the pups to this food.

Members online