Zeus is too thin

imsoconfused1593

Princess's mommie!!
sometime i can see my dog's last rib or 2 and the vet siad shes healthy and and still woodnt hurt her to lose MORE WEIGHT! i think its normal but if you want him to eat it what i do with my dog is let her lick a peice of dog food then i drop it and she eats that peice and decides eating the whole bowl wont hurt lol but that might just be my dog...eggs works great so does gravy

To Thin

My neighbor has a dog who suffers from a health problem. She can not digest her food once oh ever. It is called Pancreatic Insufficiency. She got really really skinny and is now on enzymes and pills to help her digest. I am not suggesting that your dog has this becasue he would be much skinnier and there would be other symptoms as well. BUt Poo Bear the dog is called knows that the otgher dog she lives with (that isn't getting the "special" food) may be getting something better then her food. So she recentley stopped eating which is very bad for her condition. So they started putting Turkey juice on her food and it now makes her eat much more. Also you can try other things lik echicken broth etc. which also helps.

LuckyLover

doberkim

Naturally Natural
have to agree with showpug - from what you describe, i dont think zeus is skinny at ALL _ people have become so accustomed to seeing fat and obese dogs, that we are SHOCKED to see a dog that optimal weight.
when i brought my foster home to meet my family, my brothers commented that she was skinny - ironically, she still has 3-4 lbs she can lose.

you can post pics which will help us see - but you SHOULD be able to easily feel ribs without poking around, and see the last rib or two on a dog (Especially one with a smooth coat). i can feel my dogs ribs by rubbing my hands lightly on their coat (even just petting) and i can see the last few ribs.

Debi

just ask Renee and Mordy...I've often asked about Hammie, thinking he was too thin. but, the reality is there are days he just doesn't feel like eating much. actually, Addie will skip an entire day sometimes. not because I'm feeding something they don't like.....they're just not in the mood. other days both will eat every drop. as long as the food is nutritious and they are healthy, I've learned to stop worrying about it. I've had a couple people tell me Ham should be 'bigger'.....but that's the bizarre thinking that a GSD should be 'huge' or something silly. I feel sad when I see an obese dog...too much for their joints to deal with. I think it is healthier to be a bit lean. and when you give a dog as much as they want....and they walk away...they're satisfied cause we all know they won't starve themselves. :)

My do is maltipoo and is quite slim. Sometimes people used to come up to me and say "your dog is only five i thought he was much older because he is so slender you should feed him more" so I asked my vet if he was to skinny and he said that he wasn't he was "buff" (fit). Seeing a couple ribs is normal. And I have heard many times that seeing a few is ok buut that if u see all it is to skinny, also that you should be able to feel all the ribs but not see them. So they are right Zeus is probably just right. If you are concerned though do what I did and next time you are at the vets just bring it up.
LuckyLover

IlUvMyAnImAlZ05

Cats&Dogs r what I live 4
I would try chicken and rice dog food. Not sure what brand it is. Whenever this happends with our dog we do this.
We also cook some white plain rice. The vet rccomends those two things.
Good Luck! One of our dogs is on the slim side too naturally though.

We have the same prob with Pearl and the onlyu way she eats anough and has started to look better is to mix her food with meat, how many meals does he have a day and does he eat it all?

Members online

No members online now.