Toddler mauled to death at Pittsburgh Zoo

Catsi

Terribly tragic situation. Poor little boy. :( And so horrific for the bystanders. I have no words really.

Yes, people are saying "if a dog on the street bites a kid it gets PTS, why aren't these dogs?"
I'm almost embarrassed to tell this story as I may be tarnished by association.

We have a local loggerhead turtle rookery here where I live and a few years ago a ranger was bitten by a turtle. Got in the way of the turtle while she was laying and for all I know it wasn't even a deliberate bite. Maybe their mouth's open and shut while laying - I wouldn't know. Some bright spark wrote into the local paper asking why, if pet dogs get pts, why wasn't this turtle?

Umm... yeah... ok then.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I think moving them is a good idea. But I'd still be paranoid someone would try something at the new place.
They don't necessarily need to go on display at their new home. I'd be totally happy with them going to a private facility as long as they remain part of the species survival plan.

CITES deals primarily with animals threatened by trade. These are mostly threatened my habitat destruction and grazing. They are IUCN listed though.

Members online

No members online now.