I got the grooming itch agian today

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Well I got the hankering to groom Lily today. I got a pair of clippers for Christmas and I figured I might as well groom her myself and mess her up than pay someone 20 bucks to mess her up LOL. I think she came out pretty good, if I don't say so myself. You may beg to differ but it's only my second time grooming so give me SOME credit. I clipped her in the lion cut, or whatever it's called, it's similar to the puppy cut but there are a few differences. She actually fell asleep while I was grooming her feet. I heard a noise and thought she was growling and she was snoring I think because she was laying on the table with her eyes closed. It was pretty funny. I'll tell you what though the cordless dog clippers are more expensive but they are THE BEST!

Giny

Not bad! I'm sure with more practice you'll be great. Looks like a lamb clip, normally shaved body and scissored legs, which is what it looks like you did. It's difficult distinguishing details on a black or dark dog in a photo, it was always the same with my brown poodle when he was a pup. Do you take care of the nails? If you do I'd probably go a bit shorter, they seem quite long.

Not sure where you get your dog groomed for just 20 dollars, where ever that is it's a steal. They normaly start at 30 dollars for the toy size poodles and that's at a lowest cost.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Yeah it might have been the lamb clip. I shaved her body pretty short and then the legs I did mainly with scissors. There was a DVD in the box with the stuff and I just tried to follow along with how the lady was grooming the poodle on the DVD. I don't do the nails because they are black, I'm gonna take her in to get those done, I'm afraid to cut the black nails. Her nails grow so fast though we are getting them clipped every 2 weeks or so. At Petsmart they have a puppy special that until they are 5 months old they said they would give her a bath and blowdry her clip her nails and clean her ears and also clean her face, feet and tail. It's like 15 bucks to get that done, but you figure with tax around 20 bucks.

Giny

That's a good price!

As for nail, Yes! They do grow fast, don't they? I don't blame you for not feeling comfortable with clipping them, it is quite never wracking when you're not accustom to it.

As for clipping her coat, keep up the good work. Not only does grooming your dog save you money it's also a great way to bond with them. :)

Julie, here's a great way to take care of black nails - use a Dremel. I have found it to be the safest way to not go too far. It is gradual enough that with a quick peek you can see if there is a faint spot in the center - when you see that spot you have gone deep enough & just need to smooth the edges out. One word of warning though for those with furpals who have hairy feet which could easily get caught and pull - use a knee-hi and put the dog's paw into it and push the nails through the nylon - it holds back the hair safely away from the dremel.

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
Ahhhh Julie she looks cute. I dont know the first thing about grooming so I cant say you did or didnt do a good job, so I think she looks like a QUEEN

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
poodlesmom said:
Julie, here's a great way to take care of black nails - use a Dremel. I have found it to be the safest way to not go too far. It is gradual enough that with a quick peek you can see if there is a faint spot in the center - when you see that spot you have gone deep enough & just need to smooth the edges out. One word of warning though for those with furpals who have hairy feet which could easily get caught and pull - use a knee-hi and put the dog's paw into it and push the nails through the nylon - it holds back the hair safely away from the dremel.
where can you get dremel at? I have never heard of it before. I clipped her nails some with our ferret nail clipper so they are ok (no accidents either while clipping). I'll have to look into that stuff. She's still going to get them clipped really good at Petco though because I just clipped enough so they would stop clicking on the floor.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
poodlesmom said:
where can you get dremel at? I have never heard of it before. I clipped her nails some with our ferret nail clipper so they are ok (no accidents either while clipping). I'll have to look into that stuff. She's still going to get them clipped really good at Petco though because I just clipped enough so they would stop clicking on the floor.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Thanks! I figure getting those clippers and doing it myself is better than going to petsmart and paying a high school kid to mess her up. I think that I do a halfway respectable job on her though. Especially because now that she is almost five months old the puppy prices on cuts stop for her so they qouted me a price of 45-55 dollars because they start charging me the adult price. The clippers were definetely a really smart investment on my part. Oh, I just realized my last post was posted twice that's cool (or maybe wierd).

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Ash47 said:
She looks good julie. Much better than the first poodle cut I did! :)
how far do I go up towards her head, if you don't mind me asking. I don't know if I go up far enough. It still covers her collar up the length that I leave it at. I left it sort of longer so that it touches her sweater so her neck isn't getting cold when I go to take her outside. Yes I know I am probably spoiling her a little bit too much.

Members online