~~Looking for my 4eva Companion~~

6XlegZ

~Chi 4 Me~
Hello,

I have been ill for most of my life, and a few years ago I started doing some research on the Chi, I even found a meet up group for them in my city. I decided that at that time I should put off looking for a dog because I was too sick.

Lately over the last couple of months I have been looking at some dogs online. With the support of my family I am looking into adding an addition to my home.

I grew up with cats, but now am allergic. I have never had a dog b4. I only used to walk my neighbors dog's as a child.

I am not the type to see a cute puppy & purchase him without any idea of the breed's history or any set up for him back at home. It once took me 2 years to find a pair of sneakers that would suit me. I have been told that there is nothing wrong with being a dog snob.

I am also not sure if I'd like to adopt an older dog, or buy a puppy/adult from a breeder.

I currently live in a smaller apartment in a city, and I run a few miles a day. The breeds I have my eye on:
-Short Coat Chihuahua, apple or doe head (I also have a breeder in mind, that I am not entirely sure she's legit)
Miniature American Eskimo
Bulldog
BullMastiff (not the best for a smaller apt)
Finnish Lapphund
Pomeranian
Toy Poodle?? (not sure)
Scottish Terrier
Silky Terrier?
Westie Terrier ( they always look like they're smiling to me)
Yorkie (not really big into them) Especially the *terriers* as I know they tend to be somewhat aggressive.
-Argentine Dogo's (maybe too aggressive for me)
-Pekingese (too stubborn?)

I also have some business idea's in mind that I've been working on bit by bit for the last couple of years around dogs. So I am hoping training & raising one would open up some other avenues there as well.

I have also been really interested in (I am not sure what they're called) but running/tricks competitions & meeting other like minded ppl. There is a volunteer organization in my city called: PetPals, where ppl with their pets (mostly dogs, go around to different facilities for a little *pet therapy*)

Anyways, that is just some of the things that I am interested in getting into if I decided to make a definite decision in buying a dog. :) Plus that they supply you with unconditional love.

That's all I can think to put for now, guess I can go check out the site now. ;)

~Laterz

Last edited:
Welcome!

I would definitely steer a first time dog owner away from any of the Bully breeds -- not because they are necessarily difficult but because people can be difficult ABOUT them. They are often barred from rental properties as well.

As a first time owner, I would also definitely say that a Bull Mastiff or a Dogo are NOT good choices, not because they are aggressive (a well bred Bull Mastiff or Dogo is definitely not an aggressive dog), but because they are a lot of dog, mentally and really need an experienced owner. If you want a Mastiff, the English is the place to start; they are the mild mannered Mastiffs. :)

Now, from what you describe, I would highly recommend you check out Papillons! My heart is with the big dogs (my lap dog is my 50 lb. APBT, lol), but getting to know them through the members here who have them, well, it is really tempting to add one of them to the madhouse! They are charming, athletic, bright, funny, affectionate, easy to groom . . . everything you could want in a companion dog.

Look up Laurelin's posts and photos of her Papillons.

Oh, and check out Foxywench's Cresties! That would be another great breed for you.

6XlegZ

~Chi 4 Me~
Hello, Thanks I think those are definitely great idea's!! :) I think I will stay away from the bigger dogs that need more structure..

I am not too big on the look of Papillons, but I could definitely have a look into them.

Saeleofu

Welcome! Where are you located? *stuffs foster chihuahua puppy that needs a home in your pocket*

6XlegZ

~Chi 4 Me~
Welcome! Where are you located? *stuffs foster chihuahua puppy that needs a home in your pocket*
Far Far Away.... Aww a foster parent...I was actually thinking about becoming a Foster Dog Parent first for a few months to see if I'd really like to have a dog. At this time, & possibly for a while yet, I am at home all the time.

I was a Foster mama for kittens a few years ago.

Dekka

Just try me..
Being a foster home is a great way (and a wonderfully helpful way) to check out a breed and an individual dog.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Welcome to CHazhound! I believe the right one will find you. Good luck!

bubbatd

Welcome to Chaz and I hope you find the right match soon !

Maxy24

Welcome to Chazhound!

Short Coat Chihuahua, apple or doe head (I also have a breeder in mind, that I am not entirely sure she's legit)- Deer heads are not bred by legitimate breeders, appleheads are what are called for in the standard. Chihuahuas are great dogs, make sure they get a lot of socialization with other people and dogs. Because of their small size people, who are much larger, can make them fearful and thus aggressive (trying to protect themselves). Making sure they meet lots of people will teach them that these giants are nothing to be afraid of. We have lots of awesome Chihuahuas on this board.

Miniature American Eskimo- Don't know much about them, you need to keep up with the grooming though and i'm sure they shed quite a bit. They are intelligent.

Bulldog-MUST be careful with heat and exercise. They can easily overheat and may die from it. Not a good dog for most sports.

BullMastiff (not the best for a smaller apt)-Someone already covered this

Finnish Lapphund- Might have a hard time finding a good breeder or finding one in a rescue/shelter. Again I don't know much about them.

Pomeranian-Sweet dogs, can be quite active when you want them to be (so could do some sports). They tend to bark so that could be a problem in an apartment. Again they will need a good deal of coat care.

Toy Poodle?? (not sure)- Don't shed. Active little dogs, also quite intelligent. Could do sports/activities without a problem. You could also look at the miniature if you want one a little bigger. The dog will have to be groomed. I don't know about barking with them.

Scottish Terrier- These are terriers so have the terrier personality. This means they do not like to give up on what they want (Some call is stubborn, I think of it more as persistence) so it can take a bit longer to work on behavior problems. They like to dig, might be barkers. They also need grooming. Are likely to chase after animals including cats. They could do sports, they are active.

Silky Terrier?- I don't know much about them, they also may be difficult to find and should have a terrier personality. Coat needs grooming. Another active dog who could do sports.

Westie Terrier ( they always look like they're smiling to me)- Nice affectionate dogs. Again they have terrier personality and determination. Will need grooming. Another active dog.

Yorkie (not really big into them) Especially the *terriers* as I know they tend to be somewhat aggressive.
- Not aggressive but are just like all terriers, persistent and prey driven. As with all dogs make sure they are well socialized, since they are small they could be easily intimidated by us big humans. Need grooming. Are active.

-Argentine Dogo's (maybe too aggressive for me)- Not aggressive towards people but probably not thrilled with other dogs. I believe someone else already covered that a bully breed may not be for you.

-Pekingese (too stubborn?)- Probably not good for sports. They are affectionate and pretty calm. Need a good deal of grooming.

You don't seem to be a fan of the terrier personality. They can be difficult for people who are not very well informed on dog temperament and training as they like to do what they want to do and it's not easy to change their mind. They are also prey driven which can be a problem for some owners.

On your list I think you might like a Chihuahua or Poodle. Maybe an American Eskimo if you are okay with all the fur. Hopefully someone can tell you a bit more about these breeds, I'm no expert.

You could also do perfectly well with a good 'ol mutt from the shelter since you do not appear too particular on a breed and have a lot of common breeds (like Chihuahuas and Poodles) on the list.

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
Well Ill throw in my 2 cents on the breeds I have a good knowledge of:

Poodles: they can be very active little dogs... also you have the option to get them in almost any size, so whether you are looking for small, medium, or large you will find a poodle that works for you. They are pretty easy dogs to work with for a first time dog owner as they really want to please their owners and will work hard to make you happy. They are good for people with allergies however you do need to get them groomed... you can keep them in a shorter clip and then upkeep isnt as hard. As long as they are socialized properly they tend to be very friendly dogs.

Yorkies: Yorkies are terriers first and foremost, this does not mean they are aggressive... if properly socialized they can be great with people/ other dogs... however, they are stubborn and can make training very difficult. I dont typically recommend them to people without dog experience and they really are not for everyone. They are also very active dogs and tend to think they are much bigger then they are. Therefore, they need to be watched carefully to ensure they dont get into trouble.

Silkies: they tend to have much of the Yorkie personality in a bigger package... finding a good silky breeder however is much more difficult then finding a good yorkie breeder. In rescues you will find a lot of yorkie/silky crosses.

Both of these dogs also need grooming, but again you could keep them in a short cut to cut down on brushing.

I think your best bet may be to look at local rescues and see if anything catches your eye, or try fostering for awhile to make sure the breed you choose is right for you.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Chihuahuas are wonderful little dogs :) I have one (romeo) who lives with me in my apartment. he is very active and I do walk/run with him a lot, he is also very affectionate

with chihuahuas it is VERY important to find a GOOD breeder or you could end up with a little shaking biting terror on your hands..

I got romeo from a good breeder as an adult and it was perfect for me :) he was already trained and ready to go and it was just what I needed

check out the chihuahua club of america breeder listings for finding a good breeder near you, if possible.. go visit :)

petfinder.com is also a great way to look for a rescue dog

Zoom

Twin 2.0
One thing about Eskies, they went through a really popular streak a few years ago and the market is now flooded with unhealthy, unstable dogs. Especially in the Miniature variety. There are good breeders out there, but you have to go through them with a fine toothed comb. It'd be easier to find a good Standard breeder, because that size was left alone a bit more.

I grew up with an Eskie at my grandma's farm and she was a fabulous dog, but from further experience, I think she was just a individual good dog. They do take quite a bit of grooming as they have that Arctic double coat. Being of Spitz origin, they can be rather active and barking is the rule rather than the exception.

6XlegZ

~Chi 4 Me~
Thanks so much for all of the input,

I am leaning more so towards the Chi, where I have done the most research. I like the size of the smaller, & I know that at too small 3 lbs & lower can cause some physical/health difficulties that one would want to steer clear of. Such as the soft skull, and small mouth. With that said, I want to be able to give them the healthiest start they can have. I am looking for a smaller sized Chi, maybe 3-6lbs.

I am not up on other medical conditions, but have loads of time to dig deeper into history.

Thank You for pointing the *doe* heads out to me.

I also know that they're one of the longest living breed of dogs, and really do have a lot of affection for their owners. They can have quite a bit of agility. They can however be yappy dogs, unless trained proper. As well as they need a lot of socialization or they tend to become very fearful as one stated.

I have also talked to some owner's that have had many breeds & told me that the Chi often shakes when they want attention. I thought it was because they were cold or scared. When they got going it was seemingly neither of the two I thought it was.

I do want to stick to a smaller breed, because I want them to be easy to come with me to most everywhere I go. I used to have a cat like this, but he didn't like to go outside...and you know (cat's are just different) I need the love & affection, & I myself have trouble *just going out* so if I had something to care for that needed me to take him out, I am more than able to. I like to pamper & baby my pets. I always have. Not to say that I want to overtly spoil & make them fat, & yappy. I want to keep them the healthiest most loving that they can be, and supply me with therapy & unconditional love as I had mentioned previously.

I just had some interest in a few other breeds of dogs, and I want to make sure I am making the best decision that I can.

My next area that I have always grappled with is the sex, do I want male or female? I hear that males tend to do the *humping* thing if not fixed early. & from what I've learned with female cats (could be completely different) is that they're not as down to earth, as the males. They can be a little more high strung. I am wondering if that was just the way they were raised. I've only ever had males myself. They were always very affectionate.

6XlegZ

~Chi 4 Me~
Oh also would like to quickly add, that I just meant that when I said I thought Terriers are aggressive, that they are aggressive with one another, two Summer's ago, we went and checked out a breeder, and she was telling us how she has to keep her terrier's separated or they may kill the other. (I hope I go that right) I don't want to be quoting her wrong) Anyhow she did say that they were good with other dogs.

They were just in my mind, in case down the line I wanted to get a 2nd as a playmate for the first. As I've heard they really seem to enjoy that.

I have heard of the intelligence with the poodles, and I do want to put quite a bit of work into teaching & being taught myself.

Just want to explore all possibilities.

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
Humping can easily be trained away... the first time my male dog tried it as a puppy I told him no sternly and removed him from the situation... he never tried it again... it may take more persistence with some dogs but a well trained dog should not hump everything they see. Also female dogs also hump... many times it is more of a dominance issue.

I grew up with only female dogs and now have one of each... I find the make to be much more affectionate, and I have heard this from others but there are exceptions to ever rule.

EDIT: as far as terriers being DA (dog aggressive) I think it depends on the actual breed, some are known to be DA, others are not. I have two yorkies and dont have an issue with them being aggressive with each other or with other dogs they come in contact with. On the other hand 2 of the 3 Poodles I grew up with were DA and they are not a breed known for this.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Thanks so much for all of the input,

I am leaning more so towards the Chi, where I have done the most research. I like the size of the smaller, & I know that at too small 3 lbs & lower can cause some physical/health difficulties that one would want to steer clear of. Such as the soft skull, and small mouth. With that said, I want to be able to give them the healthiest start they can have. I am looking for a smaller sized Chi, maybe 3-6lbs.

I am not up on other medical conditions, but have loads of time to dig deeper into history.

Thank You for pointing the *doe* heads out to me.

I also know that they're one of the longest living breed of dogs, and really do have a lot of affection for their owners. They can have quite a bit of agility. They can however be yappy dogs, unless trained proper. As well as they need a lot of socialization or they tend to become very fearful as one stated.

I have also talked to some owner's that have had many breeds & told me that the Chi often shakes when they want attention. I thought it was because they were cold or scared. When they got going it was seemingly neither of the two I thought it was.

I do want to stick to a smaller breed, because I want them to be easy to come with me to most everywhere I go. I used to have a cat like this, but he didn't like to go outside...and you know (cat's are just different) I need the love & affection, & I myself have trouble *just going out* so if I had something to care for that needed me to take him out, I am more than able to. I like to pamper & baby my pets. I always have. Not to say that I want to overtly spoil & make them fat, & yappy. I want to keep them the healthiest most loving that they can be, and supply me with therapy & unconditional love as I had mentioned previously.

I just had some interest in a few other breeds of dogs, and I want to make sure I am making the best decision that I can.

My next area that I have always grappled with is the sex, do I want male or female? I hear that males tend to do the *humping* thing if not fixed early. & from what I've learned with female cats (could be completely different) is that they're not as down to earth, as the males. They can be a little more high strung. I am wondering if that was just the way they were raised. I've only ever had males myself. They were always very affectionate.
Chis are great dogs :)

ive always had female dogs but I recently got my first male chihuahua and now I can honestly say I will ALWAYS have males lol

from my experience, girls are more "love me" and boys are more "i love you!" romeo is never more than a foot away from me and just lives to give kisses and cuddle. Of course, thats only a general observation, there are MANY exceptions and in my opinion, its a lot about how they were raised. a good breeder will socialize the puppies to a lot from a young age and they will already be used to affection. talk to a breeder about what you are looking for temperament wise and they will be able to try to match you to a puppy

Romeo is about 5 1/2-6 pounds

hes a long coated chihuahua

heres the chi club of america site, lots of great breeders listed :)
Chihuahua Club of America

as for neutering, it depends on the dog really. romeo is not neutered yet and does not hump or mark, ive heard its best to wait until they are about a year old. but depending on which breeder you choose, they will let you know when they like the dog to be neutered

your right about training. unsocialized and untrained chis can be NIGHTMARES. yappy, scared, biting lil terrors. so lots of socialization and training is very important. its soo easy to baby them but you have to remember that they are still DOGS lol

Chihuahuas are often what I call "breedist". They love other chihuahuas and often ignore and dont like dogs of any other breed lol

If you want a dog that came come with you everywhere..usually chis are also a good choice. for one thing, they are small and easily put into a dog carrier or carrier around and travel pretty well. and for another, they LOVE being with their owners and grow very attached. but get your dog used to different places and people early

a few other things, Chihuahuas are VERY small as puppies are sometimes have trouble with hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) so you need to keep an eye on that

oh and you can put a collar on your chi with tags but do NOT walk them with a collar. harnesses are much better for their little throats, puppia harnesses are my personal favorite

Hope it helps :)

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Hello fellow Albertan! I'm only 2 hours south of you in Lethbridge.

I definitely second getting a wellbred pup or adult for your first dog. Rescues are fine and dandy but if you've not had experience, a chi from rescue can quickly become too much to handle! Try to go to some dog shows and talking to the people about their dogs. You'll learn alot and get lots of good information.

6XlegZ

~Chi 4 Me~
Hello fellow Albertan! I'm only 2 hours south of you in Lethbridge.

I definitely second getting a wellbred pup or adult for your first dog. Rescues are fine and dandy but if you've not had experience, a chi from rescue can quickly become too much to handle! Try to go to some dog shows and talking to the people about their dogs. You'll learn alot and get lots of good information.
Hello mandypug, ;)

Thanks for the info. I have a lady here in Calgary that I met at one of the Calgary Dog Show's I believe, err it was a Competition for the best class in breeds I believe, anyhow, she seemed very honest & gave me her email if I wanted to ask & make sure if the breeder was truly legit when I get a little more serious.

I also used to go to the Calgary Chihuahua meetup a couple of years ago. (the only one without a dog):cry: lol just to get some great info. I was thinking of going back again too! :)

There is another lady that I've just happened across on another forum, whom is a vet, and has also given me a lot of great, straight to the point, clear info on the different breeds I have been considering.

That's another thing that I am also excited about, to be in and around with, is the great community of *others and their dogs*. :hail:

Members online