Weimaraners?

Hi everyone, I am an old member of this forum coming back after a couple of year's hiatus... I have a question for you all and hope that I can get some feedback. My husband and I have a five year old Chihuahua. I am hoping to expand our doggie family in the next couple of years and am really drawn to the Weimaraner breed. Does anyone out there own a Weim or have some experience with living with this breed? I think they are just beautiful.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
My Aunt has a Weim.

They are very smart dogs, very sweet and friendly, and also SUPER active. My Aunt runs a few miles with hers every morning, and he is ready to play for a few more hours by the afternoon.

Overall, I really like the breed. They are stunning dogs. But, they are quite demanding.

They can be a lot like the other German Pointers. If you can't find enough on the Weim, read everything about the German Shorthair for good measure.

They are just recovering from some major over breeding decades ago, so make sure you find a breeder you are comfortable with. The other thing, notorious for upset stomachs, from car rides, food switches, and occasionally switching water sources!

Katie4

Two board at my work, and they are very sweet dogs, but hard to control. Probably because of their size, they take alot of effort to walk. I guess if they had correct and effective training they could be wonderful dogs...

Surprisingly, sounds similar to raising our Chihuahua just on a larger scale! She's definitely demanding and energetic, and she gets diarrhea any time we change her food. How do you think Weims typically get along with Chihuahuas? Chili can be a little bit "snippy" at times, but its more playfulness than aggression. She is slow to warm up to other dogs, but she eventually gets there. In her experience with larger dogs, she tends to shy away, though.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Quite a few came into board at my old job...not a fan. My experiences with them show them to be nerotic (sometimes to an extreme), accident-prone and mostly crazy. I can't speak for the quality of their breeding, but after dealing with the ones I know, I will never own one.

They are very pretty to look at though.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Unfortunately, the only friendly weim I've met in my area was a 10wk old puppy. The adult weims I've met had issues. But that could be from lack of exercise/training, since weims need lots of physical and mental stimulation.

There is LOTS at the dog park I go to. All I have had positive experiences with. but it just may be that they are owned by good owners and know there needs. They are very active from what I have seen. One lady used to own one but now has a standard poodle. She said hers could never be left alone, due to his seperation anxiety. Nt sure if it was hw he was raised, or a trait if left home alone long enough. The yare a active breed needs lots of excersise.

houndlove

coonhound crazy
Weims are kind of notorious for separation anxiety and just kind of being crazy neurotics just in general. Could be over-breeding, I don't know. My husband's cousin has one that has pretty much been true to the stereotype. The only other weim I've had lengthy experience with is one that was at the shelter for a while and he was not the nicest dog I've ever met. He was kind of insane and not really in a good way. At the age of 5 still mouthy, jumpy, high-energy, and snarky. Some of that is clearly a training issue, but the energy....if a dog isn't settled at least a little by 5, they ain't gonna.

I love how they look but I'd never ever get one. There's no way I could handle a dog that incredibly needy and clingy.

anna84

I met one for awhile that was pretty well mannered and stable. But this may have to do with the fact that he had a great owner that trained him and was a marathon runner. So that dog got at least 7 miles of running in everyday plus hiking on weekends.

Agilitylabbie

Last Ehco of Fieldfare
The weims that I've seen board at work all seem to have major seperation axiety issues...right now we have a 13 yr old weim staying with us...apparently his owner has to drug him every time she leaves the house, because he just can't handle being alone & ends up hurting himself.

Very nice looking dogs, but not a breed that I would get.

milos_mommy

i do love Weims...i'd be weary about getting one with a chi though. they're big big big dogs, and are also rambunctious, a little hyper, and not the easier to handle. I personally think it'd be too easy for a weim to step on or sit on or fall on or lay on or play-bite or jump on a chi and hurt it.

They are stubborn! But very smart, and do need attention. Lots! The ones I've met, aren't good with children! At all.

Labra

I've never had a 'good' experience with one. I've never had a bad experience one per say, but temperament wise, all the individuals I have met have been less than pleasant. Not the qualities I would look for in a dog. Very stubborn, needy, pushy and far too over the top with energy. They can also be snarky with other dogs.

Of course, I'm sure not all Weims are like the above. But the individuals I have met have been exactly as I described.

A Weim and a Chihuauha are not a great mix in my opinion. A 5lb Chi will be no match for an 80lb full-grown, high energy Weimeraner. The risk of accidental injury would be far too high for me to risk.

Members online

No members online now.