breed?

johnd said:
I was wondering if anyone knows of a breed that could do ok in an apartment and that is not too girly. I'm a man and the breeds I've looked at so far are very small and fluffy. Any advice would be appreciated.
The huge breeds (Danes, mastiffs, etc.) are frequently described as great apartment dogs because they're less active than many small, light breeds. But there are two things to keep in mind - one, the 'puppy/adolescence' phase of a dog's life is when they're least suitable for apartment living. That's when they play constantly, have fits of hyperactivity and chew through entire sets of furniture. The puppyhood and adolescence of the massive breeds is longer than that of smaller breeds. The solution might be to get an adult dog. But there's another drawback to these large breeds. Their lifespan is shorter than average. In some cases, significantly shorter. So getting an adult of one of these breeds might give you a wonderful, large dog companion - but you might lose them within only a few years.

I'd reccomend a medium-sized dog, maybe an adult (2-3 years old) who's already housetrained and has calmed down a bit. There are plenty of beagle, spaniel and huskies in the shelters, and they're all pretty normal-looking dogs that Paris Hilton wouldn't be caught dead with.

Members online

No members online now.