Pet Hate! "Europe"

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I also hate "Oh god I love England! I was in London for 2 days and loved it there!" lol so now London represents ALL of England? haha
Oh don't even get me started on London being the whole centre of England.... LOL

Here's a funny one though... my other half put 'Welsh' on his card when we went to Morocco for his nationality... and they wouldn't let him in, he had to put British.

I laughed.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
(and I'm pretty sure I've referred to "Africa" as a place before too.... which I'm sure must REALLY grate on African's like it does us Europeans :lol-sign: )
Not really. We are too busy replastering our mud huts and riding elephants to work.

Saeleofu

I also hate "Oh god I love England! I was in London for 2 days and loved it there!" lol so now London represents ALL of England? haha
No no no, London is all of the UK, don't you know? :rofl1: THAT drives me nuts.

If I say "Europe" then I'm referring to the continent as a whole, or too many countries to list. I would never say "I want to move to Europe" because there are a lot of places in Europe I wouldn't want to live, wouldn't even want to visit. My mom's German and I don't even particularly want to visit there lol.

I've been a bit of an accent nerd lately, so it drives me NUTS when people say so-and-so had a British accent. Oh, really? What sort of British accent? I NEED SPECIFICS! I really don't like Cockney. At all. Ew. My brother has been known to yell at the TV, "It's a 't', not a glottal stop!" (He's an audiology/speech path major lol).

Oh god, don't tell him that, it'll set back all my hard work!!!!!!!!!

;)

I am hoping to take him over one day, but he has very fixed ideas on the place. But he has grown up in Wales (they're a backwards race, very sheltered... don't really understand the world lol Traffic lights freak him out :D I do tell him everything i post about him by the way LOL).
There are places in east Tennessee where he'd feel right at home, lol.

But then, most of east Tennessee/west North Carolina was settled by Irish and Scots and some Welsh.

GipsyQueen

It only drives me mad when people are like, "Oh! I went to Europe" and then you ask which countries... "France".
Well. Then you were on the European continent, but you did not see all of Europe. :p

But if people are like, Oh I went to Europe (as in France, Italy, Belgerm, Germany ect. ect.) it's cool.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Okay, silly question: what is the difference between the United Kingdoms and Great Britain? That always confuses me.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
They may not have seen all of Europe but "I went to Europe" is still accurate. Just like if someone went to Alaska and said "I went to North America". Still accurate. May be just a small part but they still went to North America.

What is the required number of countries visited to make "I am going to Europe" OK?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yup I went to Europe a few years back. I'm also guilty of saying 'I went to the Caribbean' when in actuality I just visited one island.

Or Hawaii, when I went there I just visited one island.

yoko

They may not have seen all of Europe but "I went to Europe" is still accurate. Just like if someone went to Alaska and said "I went to North America". Still accurate. May be just a small part but they still went to North America.

What is the required number of countries visited to make "I am going to Europe" OK?
Agree :hail::hail:

And I think that's WAAY more accurate when people say 'I'm visiting the states' and go to one state.

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
If someone visits multiple countries, I am okay with "visiting Europe". If you're visiting France, why not say "I'm going to France"? I don't know.

OT: it's a huuuuge pet peeve of mine when people tell me they are german. Or Italian. Or whatever, when in reality their grand-grandparents were born in Italy and every member since has been an American. What's wrong with being an American?! My ancestry dates back to France... That doesn't make me French.

Romy

Taxiderpy
OT: it's a huuuuge pet peeve of mine when people tell me they are german. Or Italian. Or whatever, when in reality their grand-grandparents were born in Italy and every member since has been an American. What's wrong with being an American?! My ancestry dates back to France... That doesn't make me French.
Some families retain a lot of cultural stuff from their motherland that's different from "normal" (whatever that is? :dunno:) Especially in places where families are clannish, like Italy, Greece, Scotland, etc.

I'm 4th generation American descended from a Greek immigrant, but our family is super tight knit and holds a lot of the old values. Plus we keep in contact with our relatives back "home" and feel a close kinship.

What makes me laugh is when people ask someone who looks slightly exotic to them, "So, where are you from?" How about, um, here? :rofl1:

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
What!? I thought you rode zebras!
No no. Zebras are for the posh people. Elephants take multiples, like a bus.

I also hate being called European. I am not European, I'm African. Just because I'm white doesn't mean I'm not African. :/

Saeleofu

Okay, silly question: what is the difference between the United Kingdoms and Great Britain? That always confuses me.
Well, apparently the full name is "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" so I take that to mean UK is all-inclusive, while Great Britain includes Scotland, Wales, and England but not Northern Ireland. But all that is just deductive reasoning on my part.

Members online

No members online now.