Dog food question (he's not eating it right away)

bogolove

I used to have Brady on Iams and it made him really runny when he went to the bathroom. Now I have switched him (and i did it gradually) to Purina One chicken and Rice formula. Every morning I put it in his bowl and he does not eat it until much later in the day, not one bite until around 4:00. He eats treats fine, but I am just wondering if there is something wrong or he just does not like it. I will gladly switch his food, since he seems to not be that crazy about it, but I don't know what to switch him to. I want it to be something that he likes, but that is good for him too. Do you think he is sick or he just doesn't like his food? It seems to me he just does not like it because he does eventually eat it, and he is being his normal self because he just came in here and stole my tennis shoes to get my attention. guess i better go save the sneakers.

Well, first off, Brady's not any better off with Purina One than he was with Iams. Check out some of the threads posted on nutrition and diet; you'll find lots of good information in them.

Mine don't typically want to eat much in the morning either, and all three of them are nibblers. They want to eat a few mouthfuls here and there throughout the day unless they've been out tearing around and working up a big appetite. Even Shiva's gotten with the program, and she used to eat everything she found until it was all gone.

RD

Are you dead yet?
If you really want him to eat the moment you set the bowl down, then don't leave the bowl w/ the food always on the ground, and offer it to him twice a day. Free choice feeding IMO is good for dogs that are prone to bloat.

There's a lot of good, natural foods out there. Check some of the threads in the health forum... My personal favorite dog food (Besides raw) is Chicken Soup, just because it was the one that Ripley would eat the most willingly and he looked & acted great while he was on it. If I switched back to kibble, I'd feed that.

pitbulliest

IAMS and Pedigree are about the worst things you can feed your dog...you'd probably be better off letting the dog eat grass for crying out loud. To be honest, sorry to say but Purina is right down there at the bottom with the crap foods...it could very well be that your dog doesn't like the food..or that its not getting enough variety...how would you feel eating macaroni and cheese for your entire life? OH GAWD...dogs are the same..they need variety...fresh crispy veggies are great for snacks..throw in some cooked meat...even cottage cheese and potatoes..eggs..whatever...just be sensible..

Also, I'd try a different brand...for your dogs sake and your own in the future.
I always recommend any of these:
Wellness <== great brand
Wysong
Canidae
Old Mother Hubbard

Stay away from regular grocery store brands, especially these:
IAMS
Eukaneuba
Pedigree
Purina
Nutro

bogolove

I will switch him. i knew i was going to, I just didn't know exactly what i was going to switch him to. i didn't want to make any rash decisions and choose something that was just as bad. Where do you get these foods?

What about Authority? Have you heard anything about that? Someone had told me it was good, what do you think?

flyndog

Dogs Made Easy!
I feed Flint River Ranch. It's a super premium food. I buy it online. But there was a time when I was young and I had a Purina budget. LOTS of people buy dog food at the grocery store - and their pet dogs survive. If you are breeding or working your dog, that is another story.
Pick the one with the best nutritional value you can afford.
Kit

Members online

No members online now.