So, I'm Walking with Kharma

We're minding our own business, standing at a 4-way stop intersection, waiting for the cars to clear out.

I don't take my dogs across the street in front of stopped cars; I want them to understand you NEVER walk in front of a car. EVER.

So we're standing there about three feet back from the curb.

There's a couple in a minivan, windows down at the stop sign where we're standing. Woman in the passenger's seat with the cigarette dangling off her lip is staring at us.

Kharma's standing there quietly -- with her prong collar on and her heavy duty 3' Ella's Lead with the bullclip. Kharma's not happy with all this staring business and she's flexing her haunches. I put my hand on her head and tell her to be easy. She lashes the tip of her tail and her ears perk forward. I'm not fooled. She's anticipating some amusement.

CRAZY BITCH leans out of her window and cusses me, screaming at me to "STOP ABUSING THAT POOR DOG!"

Kharma stands up on her hind legs and roars -- not snarls, not growls, no snapping, just her lion-like roar. Standing up. There's still slack in the 3' lead. Her tail is wagging (this is fun in Kharma's world, she's not angry, just irritated -- she has a low tolerance for fools).

Woman's cigarette falls off her lip and onto the street. (Have I ever mentioned how much Kharma HATES smoking?) Woman punches man driving and tells him "GO DAMNYOU." She turns and flips me off .

Kharma is happy. Her tail is swinging back and forth and she's dancing her little Fila minuet -- her version of the EndZone Shuffle.

Um. Yah. I abuse her terribly, "making" her wear that collar. Stupid people are a big part of the reason. It keeps her safe because you can't say I don't have hold of her and have anyone buy your bullshit.

Deputy sheriff sitting on the other side of the intersection watching is laughing his ass off -- he waves as he drives past. Kharma gives him a happy bark and tosses her head at him. Flirt.

Doberluv

My first horse I would ride sometimes along side this road to get to where I was going. I would need to cross the road or another road quite frequently and I'd stand there, holding him until it was clear to cross, then urge him forward. Some time later, he picked up on it that he has to wait until no cars are coming and then he can go, which he did on his own without my directing him. He got the concept of why he was waiting and why it was okay to go ahead and cross the road....pretty smart for a horse.

I think that's a good idea what you do with Kharma about teaching her not to go in front of cars. But in the city or some busy place, I don't see how it would work when you have to cross the road. And if the dog is on leash, that's okay. But then, out where it's not so crowded, it's a great thing to teach them.

It's quiet enough here that it's not hard to do. When we get farther down into the downtown area, I use the lights. Kharma has that pretty well figured out. She watches and when the light changes will either nudge me or shift her weight to move out. Tallulah looks up and checks with me for the okay :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Way to go Kharma. Bet that just made your day. It's rocking to have the best dog ever.

RD

Are you dead yet?
LOL, Kharma.

Eve gets called abused because she wears a gentle leader while she's working. Yeaaaaah, she's real abused.

Amazing how these things happen to you so much!
Probably a combination of where I live and then there's the fact that she's a very, very large, unusual looking dog and I'm very tall and red headed. Not an easy pair to miss, lol. We seem to bring out the loonies.

I also live two blocks uphill from the county jail so once we're down the hill from the house there's often a good bit of coming and going of the redneck variety.

On the other hand, she had a great time at Home Depot today, lol. I don't know what was going on out in the plant area but she was having a blast "shopping," lol.

Brattina88

I want to meet Kharma... It will be cooler than meeting a movie star, that is for sho :cool:

Members online

No members online now.