Local Pet Shop

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I know this should go in the 'Cats and Other Pets" Forum, but this forum gets a lot more views, and I'm looking for quick responses. So, if it needs to be moved later, I don't mind, I Just need answers quick.

There is a local pet store that sells/exhibits exotics. They are, for the most part, extremely well cared for. The staff is great with handling them, and they are pretty knowledgeable and they always answer your questions. However, they have three small enclosures in the front of the (huge) store. One holds a small monkey. The other two which are very small (one of which has a huge rock wall taking up 80% due to the rock iguana that used to live there) now house a serval in each of them. I am somewhat educated on exotic pets, especially cats since I am hoping to open a rescue/sanctuary for them someday.

I cannot find many Virginia laws that state much on enclosures for exotic cats. However, if there are any, do these laws apply to pet stores? If they do, then I know for a fact that this store is breaking the law. The size of these enclosures is nowhere near adequate for these cats. Their dens are kennels, and they have no room to play. The enclosures are tall, not wide. They can walk in circles, that's it.
Any help is appreciated. I do not want to see these cats be treated like this. I already have a few peeves with this pet store (like the fact that the rock iguana which used to have a large enclosure now belonging to a Serval has been moved to a plastic container of a tank in the reptile room because nobody is interested in buying her for $500).

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
contact your local animal control and department of agriculture (you might get better responce with the DOA) tell them the concerns and dont let it rest untill they get a plain clothed inspector out there unannounced to check the conditions.

i dont feel theres such a thing as "exotic pets" servals, monkey, ect are NOT pets they dont make even remotly good pets (especially monkey who go from being cute and cuddly as a baby to crazy maiming agressive beasts at sexual maturity) there ARE laws for most states on keeping exotics and the conditions and lisencing keeping them requires, if not there will AT LEAST be laws on enclousure minumums.

keep on top of them, and dont buy form that place, encourage your frineds not to and anyone else that will listen.

Members online