Does one dog love you more?

krissy

Does your dog love you do you think? How do they show it. If you have more than one dog... do you think one loves you more?

For example... Kili acts like the world ended if I leave her. She launches herself at me when I come home as if I have left her forever... Even if it was only an hour. And yet if we are out... she pays absolutely no attention to me and everything else is more interesting than me.

Summit, on the other hand, greets me at the door with a wagging tail but there is no "oh thank god you came home!". On walks and in the agility ring he pays attention to me and does what I tell him. And when I've taken him with my to my ultimate frisbee games and tournaments, he has shown genuine concern when I have been injured. He always looks for me on line changes as I come off the field. I used to just tie him to my backpack since it was enough resistance to prevent him from wandering off. But one time I got bowled over on the field by a larger player and was a little winded so I didn't get up right away and play had to be stopped. My teammates told me they had to hold Summit back because he tried to charge out onto the field to me. Ad I could tell when I hobbled off to the sideline that he was very anxious.

Granted, last season when I took both dogs, I never got injured so I have no idea what Kili's reaction would be. She does watch for me to come off the field and has her freak out "oh thank god you came back for me!". So maybe she would show concern for my welfare too... but right now, Summit wins for loving me the most. ;)

So how about your dogs? Who loves you the most?

My mother calls my dogs Little Norman 1 and Little Norman 2, because they are both obsessed with me ala Norman Bates. They both act like I am their world.

That said, I think Gimmick would integrate into another family and find a new owner to be obsessed with. I don't think Gambit could. Hybrids are hard to rehome, and k don't think he could take it.

So I guess Gambit loves me more.

In contrast, Lady Chesh is a whorecat. She recently spent 2 months with my mother, and blended in like she had always been there. She definitly loves me the least!

BostonBanker

Meg. Hands down. Gusto loves me more than he loves anyone else (other than himself), but Meg loves me 100x more than him. If I were gone, Gusto would transfer himself over to anyone who had food and toys and played with him. I really think Meg would pine. She won't let other people take her for a walk off the property. She follows me around the house regardless of who else is here.

They are both my dogs. I love them both more than I ever thought possible. But Meg is 100% My Dog.

RBark

Got Floof?
I think loving someone and expressing it are two different things. Kobe loves me, and he is way more excited to see me than he is most people. Which is still... not much. But it's because he's aloof. He does things with me that he wouldn't do with other people, and that is how I know he loves me. He's not as wiggly lovey-dovey as Syl, but it's a definite equal.

Bristol, when I went on a cruise with a friend she hung out under the table for 2 days before deciding my husband was good enough, lol. If we are home she I'd with me, usually on me, and I am the only one she gets excited to see come home, everyone else she doesn't even really move for, except strangers, she freaking loves strangers lol.

Diesel is happy to see everyone come home, and spends time equally with hubby and I when we are home.

Gage is truly a family dog. He loves us all.

Toller_08

I'm not sure. I've never really thought about it. I know Keira loves me the least haha. I'm just a stand in for when my mom isn't around. She acts like I'm her favourite and then mom comes and she totally blows me off lol. She's really funny about it too. I think the other three love me about equally though. Maybe. Dance and Journ definitely do. All three of them view me as their world though, but they're all three very different dogs, so they act differently.

Ripley gazes at me adoringly and springs up, tail wagging, super happy if I give any indication that I want to pet him. Dance follows me from room to room to watch me and just be with me, even if not that close (she likes her space unless she's dead tired, then she's snuggly). She just likes to know where I am and be in the same room as me, even when other people are around. And Journey truly loves everybody and makes her rounds, but she checks in with me a lot and after she's done visiting others, she finds me wherever I am and I am always the first person she brings toys to or wants to sit on the couch with or do things with. The only time this dynamic changes is when I am with our friends and Flyball team. In that case, I am pretty sure there is one person Dance would happily leave me for haha. And Journey too. But that's because these particular people are nothing by a source of excitement and fun and let them do naughty things haha. Just one big party!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I have no idea. They're all quite different. Pepper is obsessed with me and wants to become one with me. Payton is the BIGGEST Mama's boy in the world. And then Auggie acts like he hates me an awful lot but he's just faking. I don't think you can quantify it. It's just different.

Pip has favorites. In this order, his people are me, my husband, my dad, and the neighbor. After that, he will be sweet with people who have good dog manners, but he is never as happy to see or interact with anyone as we four.

Squash and Maisy love everyone in the world and it shows. But, when anything is wrong in Squash's world (like if he doesn't feel good) he gets very clingy with me specifically.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Abrams loves me like he loves everyone. If I were gone...he'd be just as happy with someone else. He gets excited to see me, curls up on my lap, plays with me, picks me over strangers...but if I had to rehome him, he'd adapt like a normal dog would. He's the same with Michael. He gets SO excited to see him, but he gets just as excited to see my best friend who used to dog sit for me, so. Lol

Cynder is totally different. Her world revolves around Michael. When she saw him for the first time when he came home for Christmas, then again last month...the best I can say it is she acted a lot like me. Stunned disbelief. Then some crying. Then some hugging. Then a few days of not letting him out of her sight. She likes me more than most people, and when Michael isn't around I'm her next favorite. But that dog lights up when he is around like she doesn't light up for anyone, me included, and I've been her caregiver for almost three years now. If she were rehomed...she would be severely depressed, and I don't know if she'd get over it.

In order: Kieber, Deputy, Zane (not mine) and Abby.

Kieber is my shadow and hates it when I leave.
When Deputy remembers who I am, he loves me.
Zane loves anyone who scratches his back.
Abby, I swear, is a cat. She would do well as a feral dog. Humans are for food and petting, that is it. Rarely does she interact with us.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I think that's a good way to put it- Summer loves me like she loves everyone. She is strange. She loooooves people and is very over enthusiastic about it. She is least enthusiastic about me because I'm not a new thing I think. At home she is sweet and cuddly though. And if I leave somewhere Summer wants to go with me. She knows she belongs with me. But she's not much more affectionate towards me vs other people.

Mia loves me and only me really. There's a few people like my sisters that she likes. But her world revolves around me and she is not as affectionate with anyone else. With me she is hands down the most affectionate dog I've owned. She is very cuddly and she tries to take care of me by grooming me and just constantly letting me know she loves me. She likes to do drive by licks just to say 'hey, I like you'. If I am not around Mia is busy looking for me. She is my girl through and through. It's weird to me when she takes a liking to somone else. It is almost like an intrusion watching people pet her. Lol.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Well, I don't think one of them loves me more, they're just different. I certainly don't love Wesley or Feist more than one or the other, even though Feist is mine and Wesley is my sister's. It's different. That being said, Feist is incredibly loveydovey with people when she is not doing 'work'. But the minute I say 'okay' she is back with me, so even though the affection looks the same, it's totally not. /makesnosense

Pintage

Mountain Dawg
I feel more loved by Lugia than Circus (even though Circus acts *very* affectionate/wiggly/cuddly towards me, and throws herself into my arms when I come home from class, she does that to absolutely everyone), and this is because when I first got Lugia (like, the entire first year that I had her) she acted like she didn't care about me and the entire world was more interesting than I was. She didn't seek out attention from me or physical touch for that first year. She was into novel things (people, dogs), but not me. Since the day that I got her I worked daily on training her, playing with her, I was determined to build this relationship with her so that she'd be "mine".

I think slowly as she got a little older (she's nearly 2 now), she realized that I was her friend and partner, that I was the source for much of the joy/fun in her life, now she's like my little shadow. She always wants to be near me even when Circus is somewhere else playing with her friends. Lugia's always checking in on me, and when I disappear to use the bathroom she's right outside waiting (Circus is usually off playing with the roommate's dogs). If I'm in another room and she hears me crying or some other weird noise she's quick to check in and make sure I'm okay. She gives the softest ear nibbles and lays her head in my lap and looks up adoringly, almost as if she's saying "Please let's do something together". She'll act all cute and affectionate with other people but her main focus is me. I effing love that dog.

Now, I LOVE Circus too, she's the cuddliest snuggliest silliest dog ever, but her love is infinite, enough to go around everywhere, everyone is her best friend, and I don't think we're at the point in our relationship where I'm her Most Favourite Person Ever. Lugia's love is like a cup of sugar and it's all reserved for me.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Ned adores me, it's really quite pathetic. I'm not sure if it's because I was the one who first got him out of the crate and held him and cuddled with him at the airport, but he's always just been most attached to me. He is always so thrilled to see me, and will actually cry in excitement and glue himself to me of its been a few days since I've seen him. He looks at me like I'm his whole entire world and he will work solely for the opportunity to lick my face. He is so needy and obsessed with me LOL

I think Quinn loves me but she isn't quite as outspoken about it as Ned is. She is always happy to see me too, we have a ton of fun, and she always has to be in the same room as me (either at my feet or at the door watching me), but she's not as overly attached as Ned. She doesn't always have to be touching me if she feels insecure and functions just fine when I'm away. She doesn't have the same drive to please as he does, either.

Paige

Let it be
Hands down I'm bandits everything but arya hasn't been with me a month yet.

Olive - My daughter is her person. Sure she gets excited to see us when we get home, and she loves strangers but Brook is her #1. Unless there is a baby around, then its like no one exists but the baby and the person holding it. She will just smoosh up next to them as close as possible and go to sleep.
Tank could care less about anyone except my wife. She had to go out of town for my daughter drs appointment and was gone for a week. Tank laid by the door (he usually has to be on the bed and under blankets to sleep) and cried himself to sleep cause his favorite momma wasn't there to cuddle with him. The only time he care about me is if I have food, but once its gone I'm invisible again LOL

Once we move out of these ghetto apartments we will be getting 2 more dogs (not at the same time obviously) in the hopes that one will bond closely with me and the other with our son so there is one dog per family member :p

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Harlow's world revolves around Josh. She couldn't give two sh!ts about whether or not I'm in her life most of the time.

Rider loves both me and Josh. I think because I bring him everywhere and do the majority of his training, he's more attached to me. He's definitely MY dog, though he is perfectly content to give Josh love, affection, and hang out with him. If we are both home, Rider is normally in the same room as me though.

I'm taking a chance with getting a female ACD. Lucy was clearly Josh's girl while Story definitely was attached to my hip. I really hope it doesn't turn out to be another Harlow situation. Lol! Momma dog is very attached to breeder (who is a lady), so I have faith that babydog inherited that. :p

teacuptiger

floor dancer
I only have Roxie right now (planning on a JRT very soon! :D), but I don't think any dog could possibly love me more. She is my shadow, and I think she wishes she could be a limb or crawl inside my soul.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
Yep, Rowan.

Rowan is obsessed with me. Obsessed. If I leave, he lies by the door and pines until I come home. He is extremely attached and needy. He likes other people (especially if they have food or attention for him) but he would be perfectly happy if I was the only human in the world. I really don't think he could handle being rehomed (not that it would EVER happen of course but like... if something happened to me? I'm not sure he could ever adapt.)

Riff loves me, but he loves everyone that he's allowed into his "friend" circle. I actually think he loves my brother a little bit more than he loves me ;) He adores both of us, but my brother is all fun and games, where I have to be the "bad cop" sometimes.

Members online

No members online now.