Shiloh Kennels

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I am interested in purchasing a Standard Poodle from a kennel named Shiloh Kennels. Their website is shilohpups.com. They don't mention Standards on their websites but there are like two other breeds they mention. They are from Forest City, Iowa. Has anyone heard of this kennel, anything good or bad. The lady wants a non-refundable downpayment for this puppy soon and so I'm really nervous. I know breeders do do it like that but I want to make sure this place is ok.

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....
In my opinion, I don't like that lady too much. She's crossing Caveliar King Charles Spaniels with Bichons and making Cavachons. Any breeder that does this, isn't that reputable at all. Just my 2 cents.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Well I didn't like that fact about her either Beagle lover. She really seems to know the purebreeds that she breeds though and they do show fairly often. When I talked to her she answered questions that I hadn't even asked her yet. There are only a few standard poodle breeders around us and we don't want our puppy shipped to us, we want to personally pick up the puppy meet the breeders and the puppy's parent. This is the best of the breeders we could find by us. One that actually does tests and gives guarantees and a pedigree and will do full registration.

Fran27

I would be careful, it's weird that they wouldn't show poodles on their website if they breed them. And what the hell is a cantel? They're talking about a breed they created? I would stay away from them personally.

Saje

Island dweller
This alone http://www.shilohpups.com/page461.html sends off warning bells. I don't like them and I think your instincts are saying the same. Why are you getting a new dog already? You've had so much stress lately why don't you just focus on your two babies? The right dog will find you when you are ready. You don't need to use a breeder like this.

showpug

Run the other way!!!!!! :eek: These people send me red flags all over the place! Total puppy mill if you ask me. Julie, trust your instincts on this one. I have a major feeling that the lady you have been speaking with has been lying to you. If you are still not convinced then ask for proof of health screens i.e. actual OFA certificate etc., pedigrees on the potential parents of your pup, pictures of the parents and if they show so often then they should be able to supply you with a show photo etc. Standard poodles are a very versatile breed, but they need proper training and socialization. Plus, it will cost a fortune to have one groomed every few months. Julie, you have been through so much lately, you don't need another heartache. Please do more research.

Julie, please read this page before you purchase one: http://www.poodleclubofamerica.org/purchasepamphlet.html

showpug

Saje said:
This alone http://www.shilohpups.com/page461.html sends off warning bells. I don't like them and I think your instincts are saying the same. Why are you getting a new dog already? You've had so much stress lately why don't you just focus on your two babies? The right dog will find you when you are ready. You don't need to use a breeder like this.
Saje, that is exactly what sent out a huge red flag to me!!! Who on earth would buy a dog like this especially when the so-called breeder won't even disclose it's heritage? Looks like a cavalier/poodle cross to me!

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I wanted to wait to get a poodle until after our two were out of their puppy stage but we have been talking about having another baby and my husband wants to make sure we have this dog properly socialized and obedience trained before the baby is here. We have just started to not be worried about Hannah knocking Emily flat on her face and we want to make sure this dog will already be a tad bit older before we introduce another baby (we want the dog to be atleast over a year old). I have gone over the pros and cons of having this dog after all that I went through and I think that I can handle it, my husband has started taking more of an active interest in the other two (seeing as they are his dogs). I just want to make sure that I find a good breeder who's not going to screw me over.

showpug

Julie, I will say that out of all the different people on this forum you are one of the one's that could handle it, but keep in mind standard poodles are VERY hyper! If you want the dog, you know what's best for you, but please do yourself a favor and find a reputable breeder! Good luck :)

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
that's what I am looking for, I hear all these horror stories about badly bred poodles and it scares me to death (almost away from the breed) but I just think they are such great dogs after reading about them and hearing from some people about the good experiences (and some bad experiences). I saw one standard at the vet that was pretty good (still very young though). She listened so well to her owner (for the most part) and was very gentle with Emily (even though she was jumping on everyone else). It seemed like she knew Emily was little and delicate. I still have A LOT of reading up to do, and I'm still hoping that a rescue will adopt me a standard (that would be my first choice rather than going to a breeder).

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Saje said:
NO, I haven't been there. Thanks! I would really like to adopt a poodle, because I am scared to death of breeders. I've contacted different poodle rescues and they all said they probably wouldn't be able to adopt to me because my yard wasn't fenced and I already had other dogs. I swear it's harder to adopt a dog then to buy from a breeder. They do background checks and vet checks and house checks. Breeders, on the other hand, take your money hand you a pup and say "here ya go". I'm joking about most of that. I know ALL the breeders, and hope to be breeders here will do the vet checks and house checks if neccasary. It's just that lots of bad breeders (and pet stores too) will just hand over a puppy to anyone with the money.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Are there any dog shows in your area? I would go to one of those to find a breeder. Many of the breeders you find on the Internet are not the best to get a puppy from. The best breeders tend to be the ones that don't really advertise much, because they're not in it for the money. You could also try spending a little money on some dog magazines. There are many good breeders listed in them.

Edit: Also, you know you've found a good breeder when they ask you as many questions as you ask them. They are extremely picky as to where their beloved pups end up. They will give you a frank description of all the aspects of the breed, both negative and positive. The wonderful breeders I've met in the past all seem like they're try to talk you out of buying a puppy, not giving a sales pitch.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I haven't heard about too many dog shows here. We do have dog magazines but the only problem is haven't seen many, or any, breeders around the Indiana area and don't want to ship the puppy (most of the breeders actually won't ship we'd have to go pick them up). I'll have to keep my eyes open for a dog show though, or a standard poodle organization around here.

showpug

juliefurry said:
I haven't heard about too many dog shows here. We do have dog magazines but the only problem is haven't seen many, or any, breeders around the Indiana area and don't want to ship the puppy (most of the breeders actually won't ship we'd have to go pick them up). I'll have to keep my eyes open for a dog show though, or a standard poodle organization around here.
Julie I can help you get in touch with a dog show in your area. They are so much fun and I know you would love all the awesome vendors that sell the coolest dog supplies - much better than petco or petsmart! I know you would have a blast and really enjoy seeing all the different breeds.

If you decide you want to go to one then you can always PM me. :)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I'm with Saje on the Shiloh Kennels: RUN.

I really would wait just a little longer to get another dog, just so you have more time to look and more time for that special dog to get your attention.

W

Whitedobelover

there are no poodles on that site... how do we know that they actually have apoodle
that is for sell...

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Whitedobelover said:
there are no poodles on that site... how do we know that they actually have apoodle
that is for sell...
My husband found their advertisement and he called (and I called too). When I called them the first time I didn't tell them what breed I was interested in I asked what breeds they had available and she told me they had standards available. I think we'll look elsewhere. My husband has gotten a good lead on a breeder from a guy at his work (who has a miniauture). I guess where he got his dog from they have standards and miniatures as well, but the breeders stopping the miniatures and working just on standards. I don't know, I promised I'd look but won't make any decisions.

RD

Are you dead yet?
RUNNNNNN from them. Looks like a puppymill to me as well - "We just recently started selling them on the internet"?? If they sell puppies over the internet without ever meeting prospective owners, that right there is a reason to walk away.

They do show their Shibas it seems, but in all honesty those dogs look scary. I can't believe they are finishing.

I'd find a better breeder, jmo..

bollywood

I know nothing about this kennel. So I have nothing to say except go with your gut.

I'd say rescue also, but I know they put your through a full inspection (and I mean full!) I do not do anything like that for my dogs. That is because my belief is this is a dog, not a human. I know that is not too popular here, but it is how I see things.

I also read from one of the posts that this kennel mates two different breeds to make a "designer" dog. A friend of mine would breed her chihuahuas with her pomeranians. She told me a lot like that mix. I only breed one breed of dog so I cannot mix. I never scolded her for it though. I oly gave her a hard time about not heating the dogs in the winter.

Go with your gut.

Members online

No members online now.