Food guarding between puppies

RobD

We recently got two new puppies and everything is great between them except at mealtime. If they are in the same room, one will guard the food in one bowl and the other will just whine like she wants the food in that bowl even though there is another bowl she can get to. We have tried separating them into different areas but they wont eat by themselves, just cry. They already don't eat enough so I'd prefer not to prevent them from eating, even a couple meals. The only thing that works is to put them both in together, let the decide what bowl is the one that they both want, tke out the one who is guarding and let the other eat. Then I put back in the guarder who will then finish the food.

This whole routine is both a pain and I am worried I am encouraging the behavior somehow. Is there something better I can do?

Thanks.

Here is your solution, buy two wire style kennels, place them side by side with a few inches between them. Then, at meal time, each goes in their own kennel, they can see each other, but not interact to disturb or interrupt the other.

And don't worry about them starving, they wont, they will eat eventually, and just because a dog is thin doesn't mean they are starving to death, some dogs are just that way, I have one in my house now. Something you could try to get them to eat, how often do you take them out for walks? and one on one play? Try exercising them about 10 minutes before feeding, not till they're completely panting and exhausted, but I've found my picky eater wont eat her breakfast till after she's done some exercising in the morning, if she can't work herself out after waking up in the morning she wont eat.

Good luck.

lizzybeth727

I agree with ~WelshStump~'s advice about feeding the puppies in their own crates.

We have tried separating them into different areas but they wont eat by themselves, just cry.
This is concerning to me. I'm sure you know how difficult it is to raise two puppies at the same time, because the puppies bond very tightly to each other and become very dependent on one another.

You can successfully raise two puppies at the same time, but they will need a LOT of one-on-one time with you, as well as time alone so that they can learn to cope on their own.

If the puppies are already distressed to the point of not eating when they're separted, you already have a problem started. I'd recommend taking them both to their own puppy class (to be in a class with other puppies without their sister/brother there), which will also give you the chance to bond with each puppy one-on-one.

Members online