Agility training

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Dave Munnings just launched an agility e-course series.
I kinda want to sign up for all of them just to watch him (and hear him) talk.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Just has focus. And drive.. so much drive. So much focus. Granted, we were only in the yard but still! She didn't disconnect once. I am so excited. She may see success at some point in her life hahah

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Summer killed class today. She was running ridiculously fast. So glad to be back at class with her. I love her so much and I love how much she loves agility.

First day back happies.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Oh God it happened again.
I was pretty sure we weren't getting into the trial this weekend. No hotel booked. I looked last week like "I wonder if I should book, just in case." No rooms available, oh well, we're not getting in. I was making plans for this weekend with friends.

We just got in.

Payton literally has not seen agility equipment since our last trial.

OhGod.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Just has focus. And drive.. so much drive. So much focus. Granted, we were only in the yard but still! She didn't disconnect once. I am so excited. She may see success at some point in her life hahah
YAY! You will get there! Off breeds are not referred to as off breeds for no reason LOL. I don't even PLAN on trialing Jari until he's like 3. I just know he will not be all there yet and that's OK.

Summer killed class today. She was running ridiculously fast. So glad to be back at class with her. I love her so much and I love how much she loves agility.
Love it <3

Oh God it happened again.
I was pretty sure we weren't getting into the trial this weekend. No hotel booked. I looked last week like "I wonder if I should book, just in case." No rooms available, oh well, we're not getting in. I was making plans for this weekend with friends.

We just got in.

Payton literally has not seen agility equipment since our last trial.

OhGod.
Oh snap - is the trial close enough to drive to?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Oh snap - is the trial close enough to drive to?
It is, the only real problem is that there's a time difference between here and Indiana which makes things a little difficult. I was planning on just getting up super early and doing that, but my mom started hemming and hawing about it and told me to find a room. I found two rooms available at the really crappy, gross Red Roof Inn, so I booked one. I seriously was considering just going by myself and sleeping in my car... that RRI is soooo gross. But if it's just for a place to sleep one night it shouldn't be a huge deal.

I woke up in the middle of the night last night panicking and trying to figure out what the heck I'm going to do in the next two days to try and train my dog.

DJEtzel

I'm so bummed. The agility training place that we used to go to was destroyed in a tornado about a month ago, and there are no classes in the area that I can attend. We haven't been in an agility class in... over 6 months? Every trial is a brand new start for Recon because he doesn't practice in between at all.

I love agility and so I'm really bummed. We're doing a lot more with disc lately, which I also love... but I want to do both, dangit.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Can I just say how much I love this little dog?

She's so ridiculous. Her favorite piece of equipment? The teeter. Why? Because she loves the way it bangs! She rides it down and when it hits the floor she starts furiously wagging her tail. :rolleyes: :p

And her focus has become so much better. We have been putting in some work on ritual building and now when the leash comes of she is able to stay with me and work with me until I let her know we're done. She decided to go exploring twice today during our lesson, and both times when I asked her to refocus, she ran back and did. A couple weeks ago, I actually had to leave the ring to get any kind of response from her at our lesson. Today she was able to run the dogwalk, come off my release into a heel to get back to the start, and run it again. And again. And again. And it was awesome.

Everything is coming together for us, and I just can't wait to see where we go! :)

xpaeanx

Can I just say how much I love this little dog?

She's so ridiculous. Her favorite piece of equipment? The teeter. Why? Because she loves the way it bangs! She rides it down and when it hits the floor she starts furiously wagging her tail. :rolleyes: :p

And her focus has become so much better. We have been putting in some work on ritual building and now when the leash comes of she is able to stay with me and work with me until I let her know we're done. She decided to go exploring twice today during our lesson, and both times when I asked her to refocus, she ran back and did. A couple weeks ago, I actually had to leave the ring to get any kind of response from her at our lesson. Today she was able to run the dogwalk, come off my release into a heel to get back to the start, and run it again. And again. And again. And it was awesome.

Everything is coming together for us, and I just can't wait to see where we go! :)
That's awesome!!! :D

iriskai

Forgot to mention... Mimi's officially out of Novice. She has two Open JWW legs and one Open Standard leg. So there's that.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
It is, the only real problem is that there's a time difference between here and Indiana which makes things a little difficult. I was planning on just getting up super early and doing that, but my mom started hemming and hawing about it and told me to find a room. I found two rooms available at the really crappy, gross Red Roof Inn, so I booked one. I seriously was considering just going by myself and sleeping in my car... that RRI is soooo gross. But if it's just for a place to sleep one night it shouldn't be a huge deal.

I woke up in the middle of the night last night panicking and trying to figure out what the heck I'm going to do in the next two days to try and train my dog.
You guys will be fine! Sometimes I feel like Kimma does better if she hasn't seen equipment in a while - I actually never train agility with her the day before a trial (I work at my training place Saturdays and we usually trial Sundays - so we just do obedience instead). Good luck and I hope the room isn't too gross!!

BostonBanker

Forgot to mention... Mimi's officially out of Novice. She has two Open JWW legs and one Open Standard leg. So there's that.
Congratulations!

We are off to do our first CPE trial in...probably five or six years? This Sunday. I am really hoping for some super fast, short, motivating runs from Gusto. And Meg can do whatever she wants, of course :p

He's been fabulous in training lately; please please please let it carry over!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
YAY!! Way to go Mimi!

You guys will be fine! Sometimes I feel like Kimma does better if she hasn't seen equipment in a while - I actually never train agility with her the day before a trial (I work at my training place Saturdays and we usually trial Sundays - so we just do obedience instead). Good luck and I hope the room isn't too gross!!
Payton doesn't do that great even with seeing equipment LOL. I've got a whole bunch of things to work on with him away from equipment hoping it will all tie together but I haven't gotten it down away from equipment yet to even try bringing it on equipment. I will definitely be taking my travel plank to the hotel again... and probably my travel tire... *facepalm*

We are off to do our first CPE trial in...probably five or six years? This Sunday. I am really hoping for some super fast, short, motivating runs from Gusto. And Meg can do whatever she wants, of course :p

He's been fabulous in training lately; please please please let it carry over!
Good luck!! I know it's tough to not be able to anticipate from training to trial so I hope you have some trial success even if it's not getting a Q.

This is what Payton and I did today:

After one of those proofing videos made the rounds on my Facebook page I jokingly said I needed to do one for Payton so when he doesn't do weave poles at a trial and somebody "helpfully" suggests I need to re-train his weaves, I could just bust out the video and be like NOT THE PROBLEM. But of course I forgot my video camera. Anyway, we have a wubba, a holee roller, a container of steak (same containers I used during Steak n Weaves so he knew what they were for), a ball on a rope, four-strand braided tug, another steak container, an alligator tug, the squeaky tuggy ball, his football tug, Auggie's precious Sharky tug, a bottle wrapper tug we played with before doing this, more steak, a squeaky football, more steak, a dinosaur toy, a bait bag, a Kong rabbit ball thingie, and his food tube.
I started with just a few things and then added more along the way. His first time through he was like "WTF, why are there things on the ground?" The first time I added the bait bag and food tube he was confused because I usually throw his reward in one of those and he thought clearly that meant he was done because the reward "appeared." He also pulled out for a steak container the first time I added those. But after one goof the first time through, it was no problem, like they weren't even there. I even fed him steak from the containers and then moved to leaving them open.

This dog. Really.

SpringerLover

Could Payton's problem be different weaves? Those look like stick in the ground poles, which 'give' a whole lot more. Based poles don't have that. If those aren't stick in the ground, whoops.

Bailey had to re-learn how to weave because I had stick in the ground and she could muscle them around. She frequently popped out at trials until I got based poles and she learned how to work those better.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Could Payton's problem be different weaves? Those look like stick in the ground poles, which 'give' a whole lot more. Based poles don't have that. If those aren't stick in the ground, whoops.

Bailey had to re-learn how to weave because I had stick in the ground and she could muscle them around. She frequently popped out at trials until I got based poles and she learned how to work those better.
Those are stick in the grounds, but I have two sets of 2x2s at my parent's house, weave-a-matics with bases both at home and what he used at our training classes. He was actually trained on the 2x2s and WAMs. The only time we use the stick in the grounds are at my house because the 2x2s are still at my parent's house for my mom to use with Georgie. Steak N Weaves was all done on the 2x2s.

Early weaveums on 2x2s:
[YOUTUBE]zKdJNxOCPsM[/YOUTUBE]

Payton's problem really isn't the obstacles themselves. It's his state of mind. Or lack thereof.

Members online

No members online now.