What is this breed?

al79

Hi ppl...

We found this pup and it was full of lice. Put some anti-lice and scabies lotion on it and the itching got better...

Any ideas as to what breed it is? TIA!

Here are the pics:

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Now they are...uh...I'm going to go with "supermutt". It's really hard to tell at that age.

Monza

Yeah, thats a mix. Possibly some lab in him. maybe a bit of german shepherd with that dark snout

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
It does look like he has mange - has he seen a vet? It'll be a lot easier to tell breed as he matures and gets a fuller coat.

Maxy24

For some reason his tail kind of reminds me of some sight hounds, if you have a lot of those types in your area then there might be some of that in him.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Where in the world do you live? What breeds are common in your area? Where did this pup come from?

al79

Thanks for the responses!

Today I learned what the term mutt means :)

My cousins found him in an abandoned hut type of thing. Will take him to the vet today. I sort of knew he would be a mix and not a pure breed but I was hoping to know what sort of mixes. It does look like a lab and german shepherd are in him as Monza said and as Maxy says the tail troubles me... Anyway you guys are right that it's hard to tell when young so I will post some more pics as he grows.

Also, the pups with my cousins and they even know less about dogs than me :eek:

So if you guys know of any basic tips. Like how often to give him food and water etc and what sort of food. Like they are giving him milk and bread and occasionally a piece of meat.

Thanks!

al79

Oh and one more thing... the cousins say it howls at night like wolves and they are afraid that he may have some wolf in him?! :yikes:

Romy

Taxiderpy
Is he brindle? It's hard to see in the first picture, but it looks like his face is brindled.

First off, I would bet everything I own that he has zero wolf in him. Lots of dogs like howling, it's not just a wolf thing.

To me he looks a lot like a sighthound puppy. That thin curled tail, his face, ears, and even his body right now. Black masks are common in hounds, and so is brindle if he is brindle. He honestly doesn't look much like a lab or german shepherd puppy to me, all of those that I have seen as pups have a lot more bone in their legs and huge feet.

I'm with Romy on this. As soon as I saw that tail I thought "sighthound."

Take some time to go through the threads in the puppy and food forums :)

Oh, and thank you so much for taking care of the little guy! Any idea what his name is yet?

Members online

No members online now.