Oprah's Show On Puppymills

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
Just an interesting stray fact. But apparently all three were puppy mill puppies and she singlehandedly started a craze for "white" golden retrievers. Or so various internet sources indicate. I remember reading about it at the time, so that now I wonder about her having a show decrying practices she seems to have previously supported.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
White Goldens is like, an oxymoron isnt it? Should they even be considered Goldens? And they look like longer haired labs to me, not Goldens...

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Oprah actually got her white retrievers after meeting Nicolette Sheridan's white retriever, Oliver. She also claims to be a huge animal advocate, yada, yada, yada...

S

Squishy22

I don't watch Oprah, so I may be confused, but didn't Oprah BUY a couple of puppy mill or BYB puppies a few years ago? I think they were Goldens.
Yes she did. She got 3 white golden retrievers.

Did anyone consider that just maybe she got those dogs BEFORE she was educated about BYBs?? I know a lot of people who have boughten from BYBs before, but are NOW against them. Does it make them a bad person? Absolutely not. She gets huge props from me for doing a puppy mill show!!

About being terrified by pit bulls.... who wouldn't be? They have such a bad rep. Before I got Reggin, I was also weary with pit bulls and I still am with ones I dont know.

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
But Reggin, people like Oprah, who purposely put themselves in the public eye, have to be extra careful of what they do. I bet way more people were influenced by her highly publicized puppy purchase then are likely to be influenced by her anti-puppy mill show. People seem to be really motivated to act like these stars. I feel she had a responsibility to educate herself before running off the Tehachapi, CA to but those pups. The very positively spun story of their purchase is still up on her site, I posted the link. So far she hasn't, to the best of my knowledge, said she thinks there is anything wrong with what she did.

But Reggin, people like Oprah, who purposely put themselves in the public eye, have to be extra careful of what they do. I bet way more people were influenced by her highly publicized puppy purchase then are likely to be influenced by her anti-puppy mill show. People seem to be really motivated to act like these stars. I feel she had a responsibility to educate herself before running off the Tehachapi, CA to but those pups. The very positively spun story of their purchase is still up on her site, I posted the link. So far she hasn't, to the best of my knowledge, said she thinks there is anything wrong with what she did.
It is an unfair standard to hold these people to when they are JUST PEOPLE... also if her buying BYB dogs was copied because of who she is then so will her puppymill story... she cant only have an effect when it suits people.

Do you want her to say she regrets buying her dogs.
I had a poodle from a BYB and I never for one moment regretted getting her... she was the very best dog on the planet until the moment I lost her.

If she is educating people on the right way to get dogs that is what matters NOW.

S

Squishy22

You are correct that she needs to be extra careful about what she does. I was FUMING mad when I seen her show about getting her white goldens. But I also second what poodlemommy said.

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
OK, but she at least needs to put some kind of notation on her happy, glowing website about going to the BYB and buying three puppies all at once on impulse when she only went out to get one. I would appreciate it if she at edited that to say that although she loves her dogs, this is no way to buy a pup.

Oprah is not a person like the rest of us. I actually give athletes who do stupid stuff more of a pass, because their claim to fame is sports, not public behavior, but Oprah has put herself out there on purpose as a personality and has made it clear that she wants to influence people's behavior. This is who she is and what she does. I still think she has the responsibility to educate herself before she does anything publicly like buying these puppies.

Also keep in mind that she has handlers and publicists who vet her every move and word. The puppy purchase story was beyond stupid. Personally i give way more thought to buying a toaster or blender than she gave to getting those pups.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
About being terrified by pit bulls.... who wouldn't be? They have such a bad rep. Before I got Reggin, I was also weary with pit bulls and I still am with ones I dont know.
I don't really care if she's terrified of pits or not, but I do very much disagree with her having a pit on her show and then just freaking out the whole time about it. How do you think that's going to make other people look at pit bulls? It's bad publicity for them, becuase if Oprah is scared of pits well then shouldn't we all just be?? Just like she started a craze about white golden retrievers she could just as easily set off a craze that is anti-pits.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
Please explain?
She was a huge CM advocate, her cockers are from BYB, she got 3 BYB "white" retrievers while she still has a DA cocker, she's petrified of pit bulls...
Actually, after she had Ceasar on (to help with her cocker spaniel)--she then had Victoria Stillwell on to help her train her Goldens. She seemed much more comfortable using Gloria's methods than Ceasars! The thing about Oprah is--she is a real person--and makes mistakes like everyone else does. And she does "come clean" when she learns something different. I am hoping to see this episode and see that Oprah has learned more about the dog world--will be interesting to see.
Say what you will about the woman-like or dislike, she does alot of good in her role--maybe this will be one of those moments. We can hope.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Actually, after she had Ceasar on (to help with her cocker spaniel)--she then had Victoria Stillwell on to help her train her Goldens.
Actually it was Tamar Geller ;)
I know, and I would have loved to see her work with Sophie, from what she said on the show it seems like she has just cast off Sophie for these new pups. WHY would you bring new dogs into a household with an existing DA dog?! That is usually VERY stressful for the DA dog, especially because Sophie was fear aggressive. Common sense alone should tell you that it isn't a good idea.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
Actually it was Tamar Geller ;)
I know, and I would have loved to see her work with Sophie, from what she said on the show it seems like she has just cast off Sophie for these new pups. WHY would you bring new dogs into a household with an existing DA dog?! That is usually VERY stressful for the DA dog, especially because Sophie was fear aggressive. Common sense alone should tell you that it isn't a good idea.
huh--I stand corrected!:p However, I think she did try to find a better way to work with her dogs. And as far as bringing dogs in--I'd guess she was thinking with her heart and not her head--as many of us tend to do with puppies! :lol-sign: I really will be curious to see her reaction to this show--wondering if she will realize she could have done better?

Fran27

What I'm worried of is... she might just send all those people from pet stores to BYBs. I won't watch, I hope someone sums it up here!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
OK, but she at least needs to put some kind of notation on her happy, glowing website about going to the BYB and buying three puppies all at once on impulse when she only went out to get one. I would appreciate it if she at edited that to say that although she loves her dogs, this is no way to buy a pup.

Oprah is not a person like the rest of us. I actually give athletes who do stupid stuff more of a pass, because their claim to fame is sports, not public behavior, but Oprah has put herself out there on purpose as a personality and has made it clear that she wants to influence people's behavior. This is who she is and what she does. I still think she has the responsibility to educate herself before she does anything publicly like buying these puppies.

Also keep in mind that she has handlers and publicists who vet her every move and word. The puppy purchase story was beyond stupid. Personally i give way more thought to buying a toaster or blender than she gave to getting those pups.

with as much money as she has she can prolly hire each one a team of trainers. I dont give anyone a pass i wouldn't give myself. Maybe someone will ask her on her show. Either way, she is still doing a good thing by doing a show on it. You should have seen cough sigh..the one that martha stewart did on rescues. Right from the beginning she showed her show chows and stupidly untrained terriers..in all fairness one was stupid and untrained. THe other one minded very nicely.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
What I'm worried of is... she might just send all those people from pet stores to BYBs. I won't watch, I hope someone sums it up here!
once she does the show--if it doesn't cover BYB--I'm sure her message board would be a good place to add some info!

Members online

No members online now.