Breed suggestion for my husband

As most of you know, we're hoping to get a dog in the "only kind of distant" future. I am going to be the one picking out the dog and that dog will be my dog. Sometime WAY after that, I would like to get a dog that my husband likes since we have different preferences in dogs. Eg. I like velcro dogs, my husband likes...well, cats lol.

So, this is what my husband would want in a hypothetical dog. Personally, I think he sounds like a terrier person, but lets see what you guys think.

Size - Doesn't matter, but preferably mediumish, so let's say over 20, under 100

Energy - pretty laid back once it becomes an adult

Attitude towards strangers - LOVES EVERYONE. My husband makes friends with everyone, so I think he'd enjoy a dog that enjoys attention. But, I guess if the dog got too much attention my husband might get jealous, so let's go with loves everyone without being a lab. :)

A hard, independent dog. Doesn't have to be a real people pleaser, just able to learn basic manners. Can get on the floor and wrestle with my husband without getting it's feelings hurt.

Lastly (and possibly the most important part in his eyes :doh:) it comes in black & tan or tri colored.

Really, he's more of a cat person.

AliciaD

On second thought...
Chows kind of go against the love everyone bit, since they tend to be aloof, but they fit pretty much everything else and are described as very cat like.

There are MANY Chows who adore everyone though. I've seen some come into the shelter that make friends with everyone. So you may not want to rule them out entirely. If you get a puppy, it would help to socialize him a ton and if he does not lean towards being fearful. If you get an adult it's easy to find the Chows who love people, and the ones that think strangers are lame-o!

Edit: snap, didn't see the bit about coloring!

Gordon Setters may have too much energy, but they are so pretty!

I know absolutely nothing about Black and Tan Coonhounds, but they are black and tan.
Dogalot:Black and Tan Coonhound Breeders, Black and Tan Coonhound Puppies, and Information On Black and Tan Coonhound dogs

thanks for the suggestions! I do have a MAJOR soft spot in my heart for all coondogs (blueticks being my personal favorite), but for some reason I didn't think of the black & tan coondog.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Reading the requirements, it really may be worth it to just go to a shelter and look for tri or black and tan dogs ;) Then you know how they are with strangers, know the energy level, etc.

Maxy24

Some sort of scent hound does sound like a good idea. How does it have to be with other animals (dogs and cats)?

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
How about a shiba inu? A well socialized one will tolerate pretty much anyone, they're cat like, come in black and tan, are about 25lbs, not clingy but can certainly learn basic obedience. The well temperamented ones I've met are calm/confident as adults.

It will have to tolerate dogs, cats & kids.

I showed him a picture of a black & tan Shiba Inu, he says the brown isn't brown enough. I then told him that it looked like a fox, so now he is howling like a wolf. Maybe he can just pretend to have a dog.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I would say a Black and Tan or another large hound. They arent very train able though, or trustworthy off leash

Members online

No members online now.