Yay!

RD

Are you dead yet?
The town I live in JUST opened up a dog park. I haven't been there yet, but am planning on going tomorrow.

I have a question though, as I'm not sure on dog park etiquette. Is it okay to bring a socially challenged dog if he's kept leashed? I would love to bring Zaphod just to socialize him a bit, but I don't trust him not to be a pest. He's not terribly aggressive, just a typical pushy, dominant, obnoxious teenager.

In any case, Eve and I are excited to go!

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
That's awesomeee! : D I cannot wait until our dog park opens, this spring... we have to drive a few towns away to the other one, and it kind of sucks.

Personally, I don't think the dog park is a good place to socialize a dog who is iffy. Especially since you've had Z for only so long. I'm sure he wouldn't hurt another dog, but you never know, if he is going to feel threatened or cornered with other dogs rushing him when he's on-leash. Keep in mind that PLENTY of dumb people with TRULY aggressive dogs bring them to the dog park... and it's a new dog park, so there's probably going to be plenty of - well - morons who don't understand that dog parks are not for every dog in the world.

I had to learn that lesson the hard way. Gonzo can be a little obnoxious, but never to the point of fighting. He has never instigated a fight, or hurt another dog. But, one day at the dog park, when he was minding his business and playing ball... a Rottie approached him tried to pin him, he told her to step off with a polite growl, and she proceded to rip his face up. D: I wouldn't take the risk, if I was you. But you know Z better than I do, obviously.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
If you are going to take Zap, I'd do it at a very non-busy time and only after you've gotten to know some of the regulars a little. I know that I wonder at people who bring obnoxious dogs to an off-leash park and keep them leashed. But if you've been able to establish a bit of a rapport with people and they get to know you and vice versa, then you'll get more leeway and they might even run interference for you if needed.

Hope you have fun! Despite some of crappy runs we have here and there, for the most part I adore our off-leash park.

ACooper

I think Zoom said it for me :)

And Yay! Have fun!!............of course we KNOW this will mean pictures! WHOOOOT!

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I have a question though, as I'm not sure on dog park etiquette. Is it okay to bring a socially challenged dog if he's kept leashed?
Personally I wouldn't do it. I know many dog parks have no-leash rules, since often times with leashes come leash aggression. Zaphod will want to run around and play, and he may get annoyed and resentful if he's leashed and only gets to watch the other dogs have fun.

SO I'd wait until he was a bit less "obnoxious" - which if he's anythign like ROnin will be a looooooong time! ;)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
OThers dogs may run up thinking it is ok...and i know Victor feels vunerable on a leash, he knows he cant run away when a dog acts aggressively towards him. I would deffinatly wait a while. Socialize under more controlled conditions. THe park is suppose to be for dogs that can handle it and people expect to be able to let them run free.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Thanks, guys, you're probably right. I'm so glad he has no leash aggression issues and I don't want any to pop up due to frustration.

He'll probably always be obnoxious, but I'm hoping once he's neutered and trained better he'll be more "dog park friendly".

Eve is my perfect dog park dog. She does her best to get along with everyone, avoids the dogs she clashes with and sticks around me if she feels a little vulnerable. I never worry about taking her.

RD

Are you dead yet?
And it's RAINING today so unless the park is grass (I doubt it, too ritzy for this sad little town, LOL) we won't be playing there until it dries up. I don't want a muddy Eve today.

T

tessa_s212

The town next to me is considering putting in a dog park. I'm not sure I'd drive over jsut to go, unless I used it for agility or training.

Sounds liek fun though!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Yeah our park was a lake yesterday since everything is melting right now...had to rinse the dogs off when we got home, which is fun because I don't have a sprayer attatchment. So there was a lot of splashing involved.

They probably REALLY want to go today because it's already above 50 outside and Sawyer is acting like an whining idiot again, but OMG...I don't have galoshes and it's going to be nothing but standing water and mud.

RD

Are you dead yet?
When I get my dog bathing tub and grooming table put in the garage, I'll take all the dogs to the park or on a walk anytime. Until then, I have to strip down to my underwear and actually get IN the shower (we have a weird walk-in shower) with the dogs to get them squeaky clean. Pain in the ass, it is, and it's the reason my dogs aren't beautifully groomed. And since my olllllld airforce dryer kicked the bucket for good, I have no way to dry them except with tons of towels and heavy use of the "shake off" command. Or hours with MY hair dryer.

Yeah. I'm not happy with my grooming equipment situation at all. *scowls*

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Oh I feel your pain! I don't even have the ton of towels...I have like...two. Luckily both these coats dry pretty quickly after a good toweling and "dry off". But yeah...Sawyer's been having a bad hair month and there's nothing I can do to fix it because I can't bathe or dry him properly and will just end up making it look worse.

RD

Are you dead yet?
There's a nice dryer at the shelter that nobody uses, that Karen said I could take home . . . but for the life of me, I can't find a hose for it. What am I supposed to do, pick up the canister itself and aim it at the dog like a grenade launcher?

Wish I knew what model it was, I'd just buy another dang hose. No way can I afford a new dryer right now. :( *sigh*

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Horsemen grooming equipment:
1 water hose
1 spray attachment
1 curry brush

I love my wash n' wear boys. :D But I digress. That dog park sounds fun! I hope Eve has a good time. And maybe Zap would be okay during a quiet time.

RD

Are you dead yet?
How on earth do you wash them in the winter time, Gemp? I'd have a much easier time of it if I could just take them out in the yard and was them with the hose, but it's frigid and they hate it. :(

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I wish I had a hose...these kids go jumping into ponds when they have to break through ice to do it, so I don't worry about that part...but alas. I CANNOT FREAKING WAIT TO MOVE.

Members online

No members online now.