Guess What I Did??

Ash47

Taco Dog
I helped save a life. I know many of you have done this also, but it just makes me feel so incredible inside. He's a Rat Terrier, definetely full-blooded, intact and very young. I would say he is no older than 2 years old. He was healthy looking except for a little infection on his back. Well, he wandered up to our driveway and I scooped him up into my arms and he seemed so happy. Happy, yet scared. We kept him and fed him. I shaved the infected area, bathed him in some Oatmeal shampoo and it started slowly healing.

Now he is nestling into his new home at my uncle and aunt's house. He gets along great with his new sisters, Foxy and Lacey. And soon he will be getting fixed and up 2 date on all his shots. Yay! I'm so excited! :D

Fran27

Nice. Just curious though, did you ask around first to see if nobody lost him? Sorry to assume that you didn't, but you didn't mention it, and there might be a family somewhere looking for him.

bubbatd

I agree...call all the shelters to see if any one called in a missing pup and the vets in your area,....also do pet finder on line. Someone may be very sad that they lost their baby.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Glad you helped him. I was wondering the same thing, if you posted about a found dog to see if anyone was looking for it.

I'd check with the vets in the area. They should know if one of their clients has a dog like that. I've had good luck locating responsible owners that way . . . Unless he belonged to a good breeder and just made a break for it while chasing vermin, I would wonder why an intact 2 year old Rattie was wandering around. I really don't know that I'd be all that anxious to contact the shelters and possibly send him back into a lousy situation - like a BYB. Rat Terriers are becoming very popular with the BYB set.

Glad the little feller is settling in happily!

Ash47

Taco Dog
Yes everyone... I did check and I posted ad after ad at work and on the net. Does no one on here trust me anymore??? :( :( :( I thought I had friends here.

Pro -

I think that they just wanted to make sure he didn't have a home already.

I say, good for you! He's got a good home and life now, he'll be much happier. :)

Ash47

Taco Dog
I know they were just being thoughtful, but it seems as though everyone lately has thought that I am just very irresponsible and don't know what I am doing...

bubbatd

I agree,,, when I picked my grandson , Nash ,up at his summer camp today...there was a young GS following some people in the parking lot....they were shooing him away and I asked if if they knew anything about him. No. And no tags or I.D. Because of Nash, I didn't dare put him into my car. I am trying to check on line as to lost GS pup... sad as I would normally pick it up,but didn't want to take the chance. Dogs need their I.D.s !!!

JRT_Rattie_Mom

Terrier Lover!
As a Rattie lover :D .... my thanks for helping this follow Rattie guy!

It sounds like you made a good attempt to find someone that might be looking for this dog... and just seems natural to wonder...

1) Why a 2 years old dog is still intact (when the majority of responsible pet owners would have had him neutered by now)

2) Why he had no ID tags (and since you work for a vet I'm sure you had him checked for micro-chips)

So.... I'm glad he is now in a home that will take care of all his needs... and will make sure he can find his way back to "home" if this ever happens again! :)

Barb04

Super Moderator
We are your friends. Friends should be able to openly ask questions. There are times when we get so overwhelmed by something, that we can all forget the logical things we should do. I am glad you tried to find the owners.

Members online

No members online now.