Switching from pee pads to always outside

kds24

We have a 9 month old Havanese who we had trained on pee pads since we were away from home all day (around 10 hours). She was great with the pads except for the usual peeing off the edge while having most of her paws on the pad. She obviously had accidents when we went to visit at other people's homes and we never had rugs in our house, only wood floors so she seems to think everything is a pee pad.

Well, now we both are working from home and moving to Chicago in less than 2 weeks. We want to train her to go outside only when we move since there is no need for her to use the pads with us home all day. I thought it would be a good time since it will be a new atmosphere and I'll go cold turkey with the pads there. She has had full access to our apartment here (not saying much since it is NYC), but I'm having the feeling that we should restrict her space. Should we go back to the crating like we did when we first got her? One of the reasons that we gave her full access so early is that she started with the crate, but then we gave her her crate and a pen around it with her pad in it during the day, however she learned to jump over the pen (we saw the tufts of fur on the top!). I do feel that we've been a little irresponsible and now it's coming back to bite us in the butt. Help! Any suggestions would be great! My biggest concern is trying to crate a dog that hasn't been in one in a long time. She goes in her crate by herself for naps so I don't want to make it a bad place. Thanks!

Saje

Island dweller
I don't think you need to crate her. She's using the crate as a safe, sleeping place and that's fine. You may want to put up the pen again or something else that she can't get out of - just so she doesn't ruin your carpets. Or keep her in a puppy proof room like the bathroom (with crate for sleeping and safe place) or the kitchen.

I wouldn't recommend going cold turkey. Try taking her puppy pads outside to her potty spot and putting them down for her to go on. Tell her 'go potty' or any other command. It would be good if she had learned one inside. Eventually you should be able to take the pads away.

Make sure you take her outside often! I guess you know the basics of house training?

kds24

Thanks! Now I wish we would have used a different command besides "Go Paper" it will sound weird outside! She does go outside already when we take her on walks or to the dog park.

Saje

Island dweller
Sounds like a good start! Go Paper is fine. Use it! It'll probably help her figure things out a lot. She may not even need the potty pads outside for long if at all since she's going outside already. Give her lots of praise when she goes!

Members online

No members online now.