Average price for your breed?

Catsi

Just a spin-off thread because I'm curious.

What's the average price for your breed? Or what would you expect to pay? I don't really have a breed right now, just my muttlies.

I'm especially curious about ranges for papillons, staffordshire bull terriers, poodles (all sizes) and whippets but I'd love to get the general idea of any breeds.

If there are price differences common to your breed, could you share them as well. I.e. differences for show, working, colours etc.

kady05

For show quality Amstaffs and SBT's, expect to pay around $1500. Of course, it varies.. some go for more, some go for less.. if you establish a relationship with breeders, sometimes they'll even offer you pups for free.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
~ $1000-1600. Of course there are outliers, due to various circumstances. You're not likely to see a $300 newspaper classified puppy since FCRs don't have the BYB and large scale commercial breeding presence that many breeds do but as with any breed there are certainly unscrupulous breeders out there...they just may not be as blatant.

FCRs generally have a larger litter size (5-8ish?), and normally breed and whelp naturally (though AI is fairly common due to the distance between dogs, being a less common breed) -- all of which help vs. say a breed that is normally AI/C-section, is often cropped/docked, and/or produces extremely small litters.

On the other hand you will not find a good breeder who doesn't do a lot of health testing (often even of related dogs that won't themselves be bred) and the % of dogs with titles on both ends of their names is pretty amazing...all of which is expensive especially when you're talking many dogs and infrequent litters.

Last edited:

Toller_08

Tollers seem to average $1600-$1800 nowadays. Some breeders ask for a lot more, and some breeders seem to vary pricing based on individual litters and/or puppy quality, but overall I'd say that $1600-$1800 is about average. When I was visiting my next Toller breeder this summer she also said that was the average.

No idea what the average for Dobermans is as I've never looked into getting another or talked to any breeders other than the one my dogs are from. My two were approx $1400 (included cropping/docking), but I think that's on the low end of the spectrum. And it was also almost 4 and 5 years ago. I hear of many people paying more like $2000-$3000.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
~ $1000-1600. Of course there are outliers, due to various circumstances. You're not likely to see a $300 newspaper classified puppy since FCRs don't have the BYB and large scale commercial breeding presence that many breeds do but as with any breed there are certainly unscrupulous breeders out there...they just may not be as blatant.

FCRs generally have a larger litter size (5-8ish?), and normally breed and whelp naturally (though AI is fairly common due to the distance between dogs, being a less common breed) -- all of which help vs. say a breed that is normally AI/C-section, is often cropped/docked, and/or produces extremely small litters.

On the other hand you will not find a good breeder who doesn't do a lot of health testing (often even of related dogs that won't themselves be bred) and the % of dogs with titles on both ends of their names is pretty amazing...all of which is expensive especially when you're talking many dogs and infrequent litters.
The health testing an titles on each end are some of the biggest reasons I love the breed as a whole.

Lyzelle

Depends on the aesthetics you are looking for, primarily. Sibes can cost anywhere from $200-$800 depending on coat and eye color. Keep adding on a hundred for every "wooly", "champion bloodlines", "seppala bloodlines", "rare color", or whatever else they choose to blow up your ass, pretty much. Health testing is rarely done, but you'll probably pay an additional $100-$250 for a "Health Contract", stating that a qualified vet has seen the pup and deemed it healthy.

So, $200-$2500 isn't uncommon, depending on the gender, color, etc.

"Average price" is based on coat and eye color, and then seller gimmicks.

Zander is probably a Malamute mix, red and white, with brown/gold eyes. He wouldn't fetch more than $250, and he didn't. His sisters, who were also red and white, but had blue eyes, were sold for $600.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Seems the average for a show quality "english" Lab is around $1000-$1200. Field bred dogs tend to be anywhere from $600-$1200.

Found some nice Chessie breeders (field, but well put together conformationly) around $700. But most of the dual purpose breeders (leaning more towards show lines) were around the $1000-$1200 range too.

Those include health testing out the wazoo and pretty good health contracts, too, IMO. But a byb Lab in the paper without health tests averages about $200 here.

monkeys23

Depends on the aesthetics you are looking for, primarily. Sibes can cost anywhere from $200-$800 depending on coat and eye color. Keep adding on a hundred for every "wooly", "champion bloodlines", "seppala bloodlines", "rare color", or whatever else they choose to blow up your ass, pretty much. Health testing is rarely done, but you'll probably pay an additional $100-$250 for a "Health Contract", stating that a qualified vet has seen the pup and deemed it healthy.

So, $200-$2500 isn't uncommon, depending on the gender, color, etc.

"Average price" is based on coat and eye color, and then seller gimmicks.

Zander is probably a Malamute mix, red and white, with brown/gold eyes. He wouldn't fetch more than $250, and he didn't. His sisters, who were also red and white, but had blue eyes, were sold for $600.
Or I could hit the shelter and get another after the dipwads that bought christmas or whatever puppies get sick of them eating their house... best frickin' $24 ever spent!!!!

Scout was "free" to me, but I guess the shelter sold her for like $600 to her first adopter. Thats f'ing ridiculous for a hoarding bust special even if she is a distance bred sled dog mutt!!!!

monkeys23

His sisters, who were also red and white, but had blue eyes, were sold for $600.
Everyone thinks I'm weird for it, but I'm not fond of blue eyes in any dog. I mean if it was the right dog, sure I can deal... but I honestly find the "huskies" that most JQ Public fawn over very unnactractive.

I didn't see the price, but before the petstore in the mall shut down they had two sibe pups in there once. So drugged it was unconscious. :(

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Location seems to matter a lot on cockers. I've seen pets or $300 in the south, where the same pets with no testing at 800 here.. Well bred American cockers can be 800-1500. Fieldy only dogs can be on the low end if people are breeding privately for their own hunting dogs, or in the usually ranges.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Generally, chihuahuas from responsible breeders can be anywhere from ~$600 to $2000. As with most breeds, the lower end would be for a "pet-only" on a neuter contract.

You can open the paper and spend $200, or go to a "teacup" website and spend $6000.

I've seen most working border collies go from $300 to $1200 from reputable breeders.

adojrts

Jrts/Prts/Rts are all over the place in price , show dogs get up there and so do working dogs $1200-1800. In N.A health testing is normal and expected for show and/or working dogs. For performance there tends to be not as much testing done, which is sad and scary.

Jrts/Prts/Rts can be a dime a dozen, no testing, no proving, no working, not registered and too often some really scary conformation and poor temperaments with misdirected drives too. And they are very popular to cross with god knows what for designer dogs.

Michiyo-Fir

From experience Papillons are 1200-1500. This is on a pet contract with limited registration. For show quality depending on the lines from 2000-3500 is pretty common.

$500 - $3000 as far as Kuvaszoks go. I've seen Maremmas and Pyrs at considerably lower prices though ($200 - 1500). CAS/CO usually go for about $2000 for a decently bred one - dirt cheap in their land of origins/BYB's though of course.

monkeys23

All the breeders I'm looking at are between $1,000-1,500. Thats in GSD's, Mals, and Tervs. Kinda glad I've widened my scope to fuzzy brown stick dogs... liking what I'm learning here.

Locke

Poodles (all sizes) from a reputable breeder can range from $1000-2500. The norm for standard poodles is $1200-1500 though.

(Working bred)
Rottweiler - $1500
German Shepherd - $1500
Mal/DS - $800
Beauceron - $2000
American Bulldog - $1500 (not really sure about that one)
Koolie - $400 (at least thats what Im paying.

Members online

No members online now.