Lola's Painting Sold at the art auction last night

Lolas Dad

A while back I posted a link to the Art Auction that was going to be put on with Rescue Ink being the auctioneers. It was held last night and all the paintings sold with the admission proceeds and the art auction proceeds going to a rescue group called Adopt A Pet in New Jersey. The paintings varied in what they were bid up to from under a hundred dollars to five hundred dollars. Each painting was done by the therapy dogs and Rescue Ink had two paintings that were auctioned off as well. All the therapy dogs were in attendance so that the people could meet them. All the dogs painting had a picture of the dog along with the story of the dog on the back side of the painting.

Rescue Ink brought one of their dogs it was a little Chihuahua. He is a rescue that was abused and has brain damage due to blunt force trauma and when he is on the floor all he does is walk around in circles. It's pretty sad that somebody had to abuse him. He did one of the rescue ink paintings that was auctioned off also.

National Geographic was their getting footage for an upcoming show as well as some reporters from local news papers. One of which interviewed me about Lola so I am hoping she makes it in the paper and she might even be seen on the show Rescue Ink.

People were impressed as Lola was getting treats from me she was standing on her hind legs and when she took the one treat she would remain standing for the others. The treats I was giving her were tiny pieces of cheese.

A woman who has two Pappillons bid the highest for Lola's painting. She has a one year old and a seven year old. She is thinking of having the one year old take the classes to become a therapy dog but before doing so will have to get him socialized with other dogs more. We were talking a bit before the auction started and I was telling her how Lola was not really socialized with other dogs that well when I first adopted her and how I took her to the dog park and walked her around the fence a few times before we actually went in a few weeks later and how well it worked out. I also suggested that she try the same way and let her know that the dog park has two separate areas. One for 35 pounds and under and the other side for any size dog.

Also I told her that when she feels the dog is ready to venture in the smaller side to observe for a bit on how the dogs are interacting with each other and if you feel the least bit uncomfortable don't go in and try again another time. She was quite impressed with Lola and how I got her socialized along with helping her get rid of her SA and the other training that I had done with her. Below is a picture of her painting. The only help I gave Lola was choosing the different colors.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
THat's wat cool. I received a Christmas card done the same way:D

I tell my friends if they can to set up play dates as well. It really helps a dog relax in a public setting with other dogs when he knows one of the dogs from a one on one visit. THat is one thing my dogs do is work with dogs like Butch and HIggs to help the adjust to socialization with more and new dogs.

Good for you. I am glad the painting sold, how nice is that and that you support the cause. :)

Lolas Dad

Thanks for the compliments Lola and I really appreciate them. Last night I received an email from one of the organizers of the event and Rescue Ink has agreed to be the auctioneers next year so it looks like it will be an annual event. Hopefully also it will get more popular with the second event and I am thinking it will once it hits the local newspaper and the footage that National Geographic taped for an upcoming show is on one of their episodes.

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
That's awesome. :)

On a side not, aren't the guys from Rescue Ink really nice? :) I met them earlier this year and I was surprised by how friendly they were. :lol-sign:

Lolas Dad

That was actually my third time meeting them. I met them at the Puppy Mill Awareness Day event in Lancaster and also in Harrisburg at Woofstock the next day. When I met them at Lancaster Lola went right over to Angel and sat right in front of his feet facing away from him. Big Ant said it looks like she found a new owner. They had the Rescue Ink ambulance in Lancaster and I let Big Ant know about a Ford diesel website similar to this one where people leave messages etc in case they had any problems with it they would be the guys to turn to for help. He was telling me how it would be nice to have a box type ambulance so that they would have more room and I told him that I have one that I use as my daily driver. As we were on the way out for the march I pointed mine out to him.

They are a great bunch of guys and if they coming knocking on my door I hope it is for a social visit :lol-sign: It's also hard to believe that Batso is actually 75 with the way he looks I would have guessed late 50's to 60 tops. As the saying goes never judge a book by it's cover.

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
I met them at Woofstock in Harrisburg as well. ;)

I agree with you about Batso, I would have NEVER guess he was that old. He was actually the first person I talked to (he was making sure Mina was getting enough water. :lol-sign:) and he was pretty awesome. I talked to Eric after that.

Members online